1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheek Slap!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dbls_champ, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

For years I could pick up any gun and shoot it without any problems. Now it seems no matter what gun I pick up I end up getting a bruised face from it. It has gotten so bad that now I can shoot only one or two times a week so my face has time to heal. I have tried changing the pitch and other things but it still occurs. If anyone on here has any suggestions please let me know I am getting a little desperate.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try to figure out what changed over the years to cause this problem. Was it your equipment, or your body? Probably the easiest solution is a PFS. HMB

3. Express

Express TS Member

Try increasing your length of pull. I was experiencing the same problem. When I changed the pitch and it did not help.

4. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I had the same problem with a brand new BT-99 . My cheek was so black and blue I didn't want to finish the second 100 of a 200 bird shoot. I got a Grecoil put on it to lengthen out the stock and it shoots fine now.

Martin

5. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

Thanks for the responses so far, Keep them coming!! I will try anything at this point.

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

You could also look into adjustable soft combs.

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Cheek slap has a number of possible causes. Among them are, as was mentioned, pitch (either too much or too little), too much weight on the back foot, the angle at which your cheek contacts the comb and the height of your gun mount.

HMB (above) is on the right track. You need to figure out what has changed since the time you were not bothered by cheek slap. It could involve weight gain or loss or some aspect of your shooting form (gun mount, body posture, stance, weight distribution).

If possible, it would be best if you could call me at 920-431-1137 (Wisconsin). We could then discuss what might have changed and might be the cause of your cheek slap.

In my opinion, it is better to eliminate a cause than it is to combat a symptom.

Rollin

8. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

Rollin,

What would be a good time to call you?

9. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I had the same problem you are having. Could not shoot over 100 targets. Sometimes i needed to wait two weeks to let my face heal. Three weeks if i was bleeding. I though shooting was over for me. I tried everything. I wound up cutting the comb off my stock and getting a comb raising kit from beartooth made of padding. I tried moving my head back on the stock and it reduced the slap to almost nothing. I could not hit the broad side of a barn that way. It was not natural or comfortable to me. I like my nose to almost touch my right hand (thumb). I tremble when i see a narrow unpadded comb. Roll over cheek pads made a big difference but still beat me up. I am still trying to get my problem resolved but the heavily padded comb made a huge difference.
    Maybe someone could help us both out. I knew it was bad when i resorted to locking my brand new gun in the vise and taking a saw to it. It made me sick to ruin my wood but i had no choice, i wasnt about to stop shooting.

10. chemist

chemist Member

had same problem with BT99 even after gracoil- added a 3/8" solid rib and now I do not get slapped- did have to get used to the sight plane and adjust lop- doing the same with my Broadway- good luck

11. JonP

JonP Member

I tried many of the suggestions above (pitch both ways, longer LOP, etc, etc) and the thing that worked FOR ME was a soft comb. Some here will say your only masking the problem but, I bet some of those guys never had a serious problem with cheek bruising.

I also tried a recoil reduction system where the comb is part of it (the majority of the stock slides under the comb) and still got a bruised cheek until I added a soft comb.

I also have a PFS and it does a pretty good job in the cheek slap department but, I'm still going to add a CheekEeze pad to get rid of ALL the bite that remains.

I know your pain.

As a suggestion, just add a CheekEeze stick on pad and see what happens but beware that if you don't have an adjustable comb your POI will be higher and you may end up moving it left or right depending if you're a left or right hand shooter.

If you want to go real cheap to experiment. get a mouse pad at Office Depot and some double sided tape and cut to desired shape and stick to your comb - you may be surprised - that worked for me also.

Good Luck.

Jon

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

For me, I found that my Browning Special Trap O/U will beat the heck out of me if I raise my head off that comb. It is a pussycat when I shoot correctly. I have also found that my doubles scores improved after I stopped lifting my head. Very much a believer in gun fit - every time I miss I have a fit. Seriously though, IMHO competition shotguns need an adjustable comb.

13. atexaspete

atexaspete Member

99% of the time excessive cheek slap is caused by either too much cast-off or too much drop. If you stop and think about it, your cheek gets slapped as it literally runs into the comb upon recoil. I do quite a bit of stock fitting in Virginia and when I have a customer experiencing slap, and they don't want to change stock dimensions (happy the way they shoot the gun, except for the face slap) I usually shave the forward part of the comb. Problem solved.

Mike

14. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Anytime between 10:00 AM CDT and 2:00 AM

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beartooth comb raiser kit forums

how to reduce shotgun cheek slap

length of pull and cheek slap

will increasing length of pull get rid of cheek slap