1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheek Slap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1100 classic trap shooter, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

I have got back into trap shooting after 4 years. I have sold my 1100 and have a Citori Trap with adjustable comb. I have moved the comb up maybe 1/4" to get the figure 8 sight picture, but did not move it side to side. Shot about 50 rounds and I am getting hit in the cheek a little. Never had this problem with my 1100 any advice would be great. P.S. I did search for advice on here before I posted thanks in advance.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

First thing I'd look at would be PITCH

John C. Saubak

3. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I love both the 1100 and the Citori and have both. If you adjusted straight up and can shoulder the gun and see a straight figure 8 without moving your head to either side then I would think no other adjustment necessary. As Old Cowboy stated, the pitch, meaning the angle of the butt end of the stock could be your problem. Maybe you should visit someone knowledgable about fitting a trap gun. Fit is everything because nobody is built the same.

Another point to ponder is the 1100 for me is the most comfortable trap gun I've ever fired. By design the felt recoil is reduced and it made adjusting to the O/U harder to do. I just don't like throwing hulls and my butter fingers don't get along with shell catchers.

I shoot both guns equally well (or bad) and my Citori fits so I get a straight back hit that doesn't slap but that required a bit of fitting.

I hope you found this helpful.

Mark

Mark

4. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

All my Brownings slapped me. Pitch was the key to stopping it. Find a fitter.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put a washer between the recoil pad and butt of stock on the top screw. That will adjust the pitch. Next lower the front of the adjustable comb, so the front is lower than the back. HMB

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Dennis DeVault has an article on this subject in his current newsletter...

7. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I like to make sure the top of my comb is parallel with the bore of the barrel...and then adjust the pitch from there if needed. as suggested, put washer(s) between the stock and top screw of buttpad.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Old Cowboy did not get to be one by not knowing what he is talking about - PITCH!

9. 1100 classic trap shooter

Gonna try the washer-washers for pitch. What is a good thickness to start with?

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Using the Citoris I have, it took the thickness of 4-1/4" washers to tame the slap.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm a carpenter (retired) so I do have the equipment to make my own pitch adjusters. I seem to wind up @ about 3\8" thick at the top screw down to almost "0" at the bottom. After fitting & sanding I just take a black magic marker to the edges, doesn't work any better than the washers just looks better. JMO Ross Puls

12. 1100 classic trap shooter

Gonna use washers and shoot it until I get the slap gone. After that I guess I could have the stock cut to that angle to make it look better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheek slap when trap shooting

trap shooting cheek slap