1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheek Slap??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oletymer, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oletymer

oletymer Member

A drop in weight could be the cause. It is a good reason to have an adjustable stock. I added an adjustable soft comb for that very reason.

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Ken;

Although a number of things can be responsible for cheek slap I'm guessing that yours may be related to your weight loss.

When you lost weight, you no doubt lost some of it in your cheeks. The thickness of flesh covering your cheekbones decreased. With your comb at the same height as it was before your weight loss, you would have had to raise your cheek to maintain the same eye-alignment with the rib.

With the reduced pressure of your cheek on the comb, it was impacted rather than just being pushed as the barrel (and comb) rose during recoil.

I would also guess that your cheek may have been receiving more punishment than necessary before your weight loss. I suggest you check the pitch on your stock. If I am correct, the toe of your stock is sticking out too far. The entire pad, top to bottom will make simultaneous contact with your shoulder as you mount the gun if the pitch is correct.

Rollin

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Definitely weight loss is an issue. I encountered the same thing and had to put a comb on my gun. That solved it for me, may not solve it for you. Rollin has good info.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Shootlow, you've not only been wrong before, you've been wrong EVERY TIME!!!

Hauxfan!

5. JonP

JonP Member

Ken,

I've had a cheek slap problem with just about any gun that comes out of the box so I read any/all threads that address the problem and have posted here several times on it myself looking for solutions.

I have a thin long face (not much meat between cheek and bone). I've tried just about all the recommendations (pitch - both ways, stick-on pads, recoil reduction systems were the comb is part of it, etc., etc., etc.).

I recently (6 weeks now) had Greg Hissem put a soft comb on my Browning 325 and I'm amazed at the results! I know some people here will say your only masking the problem but I don't plan on messing with success. I also ended up moving the comb over about 1/8" and it seems to shoot straighter for me as my scores (I shoot off-shoulder for sporting clays and skeet) have gone up and it's a joy to shoot! I've also shot some long range pre-mounted trap games (Chinese Wobble Trap) with heavy loads with not so much as a hint of cheek bite and I was high man both rounds a few days ago! I'm using as many exclamation points as possible to get the point across that I'm elated to say the least. I plan trying it for my doubles gun.

Greg's a little pricey but his name seemed to come up often here as the best, so I went for it - it's a quality job and was worth every penny.

YMMV

Jon P.

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I was hoping he was going to share his diet as well. Sad to say I have that natural "soft comb". ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.