1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheek slap question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shuck M., Jul 1, 2013.

1. Shuck M.

Shuck M. Member

I'm in kindof a pickle with this one.

After several months away from trap (fiddling with a couple centerfires), I shot several rounds of trap yesterday, and lo and behold, at the fifth round my cheek had a little soreness. ???? Still there today, below the cheekbone right in the pudgy part of the cheek. ???

BUT... the fit of my stock is, imo, about perfect, and I have real reservations about altering dac/dah angle, aligment, etc. It's shooting great for me and I want to keep it going.

I was searching the interweb today for causes and see things like loose trigger hand grip to even stance. What's been your experience and what should I look at correcting to eliminate this?

Thanks!!!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You might be lifting your head when you fire the shot. If not try putting a washer on the top recoil pad screw between the pad and the butt to increase the pitch. HMB

3. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

I would go the opposite and put a washer or two at the bottom. too much pitch causes cheek slap in my experience. of course you know opinions are like a$$ holes, we all have one and they all stink. Jack

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Definately sounds like your lifting your head. Focus on keeping the "wood on the wood". BYG

5. Shawn

Shawn Member

Shuck
    You say you have been away from shooting for a couple of months and your gun fit was good before the break.

I assume nothing else has changed. (weight up or down 20 lbs)

I would give the face a few days to heal up. Then go out and shoot a couple rounds.

Pay attention to the basics (stance, gun mount, staying on the gun) and don't worry to much about your score.

If you are still getting bit you can consider making some changes.

Shawn

6. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Read the post by Dave B. and Brad D. They make a good argument for zero pitch. LOP and other things such as type of recoil pads can all affect. My most severe cheek slap was fixed by adding positive pitch. Good Luck Jim W.

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Cheek slap has a number of possible causes, some relating to stock dimensions and others relating to your shooting form, particularly, the way you mount your gun.

The "pitch" or angle formed by the recoil pad and the rib, is correct FOR YOU when the whole recoil pad, "top" to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as you are mounting the gun with the barrel rasied to normal shooting height.

If the bottom "toe" of the pad makes contact very much before the top "heel" of the pad, you have identified a common cause of cheek slap.

If your neck is long and/or your gun mount is low, you need to lean your neck forward to lower your cheek to the comb. This makes your cheek contact the comb near the end of the cheekbone where there are more pain receptors, which require little pressure to create pain.

The solution is to raise your gun mount so an inch or a little less of the recoil pad is extending above your collarbone, shrug your shoulders before you call for targets or, install a "pad adjuster" that will allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered. All will help you shoot with a more naturally erect head and neck posture.

The same thing can happen if you tilt and turn your head toward the stock to vertically align your eye with the rib.

As was mentined, raising your cheek off the stock during swings would be the first thing to check to try to eliminate the cheek slap. Raising your gun mount will probably help because there is a natural tendency to raise the head to a more comfortable position during swings when you are concentrating on creating sight poctures and getting ready to fire.

Rollin

8. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Well im learning things ive never even heard of, but i just wanted to add one thing, if you are using a recoil reduction RAD/gracoil, tighten it up, after one summer of use i found it was traveling too far, i didnt notice it until it was slapping me one day, after re-adjusting it tighter, i couldnt believe how much less it slapped me, they do wear and start to move too easy.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Has your rifle shooting changed your form?

10. Shuck M.

Shuck M. Member

Thanks for all the input.

Current pitch is as close to perfect as I can imagine (just slightly down pitch)with full length contact in the shoulder pocket. It has a nice fairly high level comb. I will add some spacers to the bottom screw of the butt pad to push it to an even more neutral pitch just to see if there's a difference. Or should I do the opposite and INCREASE the down pitch? Current pitch is probably about 3.5" down at 48" I would guess but I will measure it.

Just my luck it's shooting so well and now it's slapping me. I still don't want to alter it too much and start dropping targets.

This started right at the end of the fourth round and then I shot a fifth round and I was conscious of it.

Anyway thanks again.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Put a soft comb on your gun, end of problem. I won't shoot a gun without one. I have very high, very sharp cheekbones, and just about any gun will bruise my cheek or worse. I've had a 410 sxs leave a mark on my cheek after a couple boxes of shells, and had a 10lb+ gun with 28ga tubes leave me bleeding down the slide of the stock after a couple boxes of shells.

12. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Shuck go to Google and type in Dave Berlet pitch and search. Watch the little 5 minute video that Brad Dysinger and I made on stock pitch. Basically if you have neutral or zero pitch the gun will recoil straight back. If you have down pitch the gun has a tendancy to slide up on your shoulder and bump your cheek. Be careful that when you were rifle shooting that you didn't develop a bad habit of rolling your head down and looking through the top of your eyes. This puts the point of your cheekbone right down on the stock and can cause brusing. Also if everything else fails a good soft top will help.

Dave Berlet

Search tags for this page

correcting cheek slap

shooting cheek slap