1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheek slap/kick!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Look very close im sure you will find other differences. Pitch drop at comb and heel toe in toe out..... weight of gun????

2. silverBB

silverBB TS Member

Jack, I have had to contend with cheek slap to some degree all of my time shooting shotguns. I am left handed, shot some skeet and primarily police riot guns during my 35 yrs as a law enforcement officer. I figured some slap was the nature of the beast....UNTILL I started to shoot trap with my son. He showed me that proper fit of a gun is the most important thing for shooter comfort. I began shooting an old Mod. 12 Winchester that fit pretty well and was reasonably comfortable with it untill I purchased a used left handed Anton stock. My son helped me fit it to me and the difference is remarkable! Sweet shooting piece of machinery! Fit is the most important item in shooter comfort....proper length of pull, cast, and pitch ALL are important.

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Why would one get face slap on only right hand targets even when the target is smoked? JRM

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jack,

If the dimensions on the two stocks are the same except for their length and you mounted them the same, the cheek slap probably occurred because to mount the shorter stock, you had to tilt your head farther forward and down to maintain the distance between your nose and thumb.

Doing that changes the portion of your cheekbone that makes contact with the comb. It is farther forward on a more pointed part of the cheekbone, which also has more pain receptors, i.e. OUCH.

Rollin

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

To check if a little more pitch fixes the problem you'll need some washers and a longer screw for the butt pad. You may already have all these things or try the hardware store. Put the washers between the wood and the butt pad - top screw. Then go shoot a round.

You could try increasing the LOP with a slip on pad or some spacers.

Do just one thing at a time.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.