1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheek Bruising

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Keytone, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keytone

Keytone TS Member

I have been trap shooting for some time now, but I am getting a terrible bruise from it on my right cheek every time I go out. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong...I've read that I may be picking up my head off the gun to the gun not fitting, etc...I think the gun fits fine and I shoot decent scores for a field gun. But I need to correct whatever I'm doing wrong. I love the sport but this is a major problem for me now. I've tried to place my check on the gun firmly, but I should be relaxed in this postion....not forcefully performing a particular act to aleviate the bruising..

Any help is approciated
    Thanks,
    Ed

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

Shootlow is probably right, but what make and model shotgun are you shooting?

Steve

3. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

A field gun may weighs around 7 lbs...a trap gun may weigh 9 to 10 pounds...it is a big difference. Plus, the trap stock configuration may well be different. If you are shooting 50 or a 100 rounds, it may not be an issue, but if you're shooting 200-300 rounds, it will be a problem. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to carry a trap gun into the field.

WNCRob

4. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I've see people with that problem and they would change the pitch on the recoil pad so the recoil goes down instead of up and it helped.Only changed it 4 or 5 degrees but it helped.
    Just a thought. I've been there and it ain't fun.
    Paul

5. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

So do you move the heel back (pitch barrel down) or move the toe back (pitch barrel up) ?

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Could be a problem with pitch (prob'y insufficient positive pitch), OTOH maybe you're placing your cheek on the comb TOO firmly? That "firm" cheek pressure on the comb $hit can be overdone you know.......

John C. Saubak

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Probably improper pitch. Get hold of someone who knows stock fitting and get their help. The do-it-yourself approach can be a costly venture when it comes to stock modifications. Sometimes taking a decent video of you shooting the gun from different angles can help to see exactly what is going on. Watch it in slow motion and bring it with you to the stock fitter.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need a butt stock for your gun that has a comb which is parallel to the barrel of your gun. Also increasing the weight of the field gun will help reduce the problem. HMB

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- The stock does not fit you properly. All we can do is guess at what is not just right for you, and it is probably several different things. My guesses would include, comb too low, comb not parallel or lower at the front, not enough pitch, stock too short, improper mounting technique, gun too light or shells too heavy.

Fixing your problem can get complicated. Many shooters spend several years getting their stock just right. Some of us are still searching for the perfect configuration.

Pat Ireland

10. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

You claim that your gun fits you...but as stated above, it does not, plain and simple. You have a gun fit problem that needs corrected. Once accomplished, your gun will not beat up your cheek. Left alone, it will eventually start to cause more problems to arise such as a flinch etc.

11. Keytone

Keytone TS Member

Thanks everyone for your concern and replies to my thread! I will be looking for Oswalds book. I was shooting a Franchi Velocci 20ga, 26"bl - I liked the look of it. I would get some cheek bruising with that. Used it for Trap, SC and on a Pheasant Hunt in S. Dakota - that was alot of fun. I just recently bought a 12ga, 28" bl Franchi Renaissance. Used it the first time this weekend and the bruising was pretty brutal. I plan on videotaping myself and seeing what I do and hopefully correcting the porblems. I spent some time looking at trap guns but not alot. Thanks, Ed

12. TomB

TomB Member

Keytone.....Changing pitch will not help much!!! What WILL help is to increase the weight of the gun somehow; and, get a an adjustible recoil pad that you can raise up to get the line of recoil through the barrel straight into your shoulder. This will reduce the amount of upward recoil which is what's hitting your face. Tom B

13. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Don't believe that you are doing anything wrong, as is videoing yourself "to see what you are doing". The stock dimensions are not right for you. Unless you are knowledgable about fitting, a professional is the next choice.

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The gun needs to fit! If it fit it wouldn't be hurting you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheek bruised from trap

stock fitting bruised cheek