1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cheek bruise

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgun1957, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

i know i can get some help on here i was selling my 3200 remington because it skins or bruises my cheek when i shoot a 100 or so rounds through it so instead of getting to where i flinch i just decided to sell it i like the gun it crushes paper when i pattern it at 32 yds or 40 yds but i don,t want to get to where i flinch any help appreciated,and where do i need to start thanks jerry

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can place some washers between the top of the butt pad and the stock to change the pitch. Keep adding washers until the problem goes away. HMB

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The washer advice is very good. Add washers until the gun quits slapping your face and then buy the pitch spacer according to what the washers show you need. Pitch is different for every persons build. There is not one fits all where pitch is concerned. If you don't like the pitch spacer l;ook a good gunsmith can cut the pitch into the stock and then re-fit your pad accordingly. It is a very inexpensive fix.

4. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

thanks guys i will try the washers and if that works i will fix it permantly

5. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

ok i stood the gun flat against the wall and the bottom tip of the pad is around 1/2in off the floor so do i need to put washers under the bottom of the pad because if i keep the gun i,m gonna put a morgan pad so i can adjust my cant just a little because when i shoot both barrels on paper my top barrel is to the left about 4-6 ins thanks for the help jerry

6. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

yes the toe i assume is the bottom of the pad is sticking in to hard i think that may be the problem when i shoulder the gun the toe is sticking in i think i need to drop the pad down the toe is a good 1/2in off the floor though

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

This site explains how to set pitch usinf washers
    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-fit-your-shotgun-by-adjusting-pitch-and-point-aim-352659/view/
    Give it a try

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

1/2" inch is a lot of pitch, that much shold SLUG your cheek.
    Square the recoil pad with the rib which equals "0" Pitch and try it from there
    I personally shoot negative pitch, and have for years.

If you put the recoil pad flat on the floor and slide the gun back until the reciever touches the wall and measure how far the rib is from the wall, you will see how much it reall is.

You may need the stock cut to get zero pick, that will take quite a few spacers
    and the stock will be too long.

If the stock is long enough, measure it from the trigger to center of recoil pad
    and have the stock cut squaring the rib to the stock, and then add a spacer the same thickness that brings you back to the above measurement.

And that should take away the bruised cheek.

I had to do this with my CG as it had too much down pitch.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

i appreciatte it fellow shooters and i,m in contact with a gentleman now that is gonna put me a recoil reducer and fix the stock for me thanks everyone jerry

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

If you are a lucky person pitch will be your problem because it is some what of a easy fix. If it is a gun fit issue things become more costly and more complicated.
    That's why you will here some say that the K 80 kicks the hell out of them but I can say that my k 80 is the softest shooting gun I have ever shot. We are not all built the same and that's why we need different things.
    Good luck and I hope it is a easy fix for you.

11. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

thanks goose i,m gonna try the spacers in the morning and see how i need to fit it then i,m gonna send it to idaho and have a slider put in it and a adjustable cheek piece and have the pad mounted for my fit thanks jerry

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Nice place to send your gun. Idaho = Gods country

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The pitch is correct FOR YOU when, using your normal, upright shooting posture, the whole pad makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder when you are slowly mounting your gun. It is best when the top of your recoil pad is even with the top of your shoulder.

You mentioned the possibility that the comb on your gun "skins" your cheek. This is a different problem with a different cause and a different solution.

Rollin

14. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

yes it skins my cheek and makes a little knott swell up right above the skinned place,what you think problem

15. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Great thread, thanks. I also get a "skinned' cheek, same little spot with two different trap guns. Would be interested in the solution. Thanks.

Dave Eberhart

16. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

will do dave

17. bubba68

bubba68 Member

It's funny no one talks about looking at your body posture when shooting.

I see it all the time, someone stands straight up when shooting. Therefore, the toe of the gun hits the chest and causes the gun to jump up and pop you in the cheek. Everyone seems to want to change the gun, when in fact you may just need to lean a little more forward - putting more weight on your front leg - which is a good stance for shooting anyway. Leaning a little forward could just as easily (or actually easier) fix your problem without modifying your gun.

No one on this board can make this decision for you. You need someone watch your mount.

Get Rollins book and go through the fitting process with a friend - I did it about 8 years ago and it did wonders. It may fix this very issue you are having.

Good luck.

18. MrRojo

MrRojo TS Member

I used to have a kicking problem myself. I tried everything from recoil redirectors to shims. What finally worked was canting the pad. It turns out with a regular pad on the gun, I was canting it aggressively and the recoil was going straight into my face. The canted pad straighten out the gun, now I feel like I'm shooting a cloud.

19. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

thanks bubba68 and mrrojo i,ll try that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bruised cheek shooting trap

cheek bruise from trap shooting

cheek bruised from shooting skeet

shotting rifle get bruised cheek