1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chedite Primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BDodd, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I estimate having bought and using up to 100,000 Cheddites from the 90's and beyond. I never had any sort of issue with them and used them interchangeably with Winchester 209s. The chronograph suggests there might be a nominal increase in velocity with Cheddites over Win. but so minimal as to remain within velocities found in individual samples of either. The Cheddites have a more squared shoulder at the upper end, that entering the hull first, and they can tend to be a smidgeon more reluctant to enter the primer hole than Winchesters but this seems just the same as my current use of Fio. primers. They have battled the suggestion that they are oversized and that returning to Winchesters can result in primers falling out but I never had that experience in the many years of use. I will gladly buy them and use them again if the price warrants it.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

no complaints here, I use win. data.

tony

3. wanderer

wanderer Member

Have loaded thousands with no problem. Gary E. Gasaway

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I wonder how many times this same question will be asked? Doesn't anyone do a search anymore?????

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Probably the most used primer on a worldwide basis there is. Hap

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3004.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3006.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3005.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The silver colored cups are WW209, the brass colored cups are CH209.
    200,000 loaded with WW209 data, no issues.

Buz

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Great pictures Buz, thanks for sharing guy!! Hap

8. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Depends on your gun -- some guns handle them with no problems -- my experience with shooting a K-80 was not good -- the firing pins pierced the face of the primer -- the result was burnt firing pins that had to be replaced -- I am not the only one to have problems with them -- the question you ask has been a regular on Trapshooters -- some respond to your question with favorable results others don't -- I stick with my Win. 209's -- they cost more -- but replacing firing pins is not cheap either -- so their you go just another opinion

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I burnt the lower firing pin on my Browning after about 25K rounds. I saved $200 on primers over Rem-chesters or Federals. The new firing pin and Wolff mainspring was under $15. LOL

10. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I have used about 2000 of them with no issues. I have about 8000 more to go. I will let you know how it went.

Chris

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Used 10`s of thousands with no problem . No bad or off sounding shells or burnt firing pins . As a matter of fact , I`ve never seen a pierced primer in 38 years of shooting ?? I prefer Cheddites to all the others and buy when I find them . No Winchesters , Fiocchi`s or Federals for me . I also like PMC`s from Russia and just finished them up.

12. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

It seems that K80s and some Brownings have had issues either puncturing the primer or require the the primer to be fired a second time (failure to fire on the first strike). I have loaded and shot more than 50,000 before I started to have the described problems about 3 years ago. I have a few K80s and once the problems began it happened periodically with all my K80s. I sent one to Krieghoff International and after they inspected everything they told me the gun was within all specifications.

I presume that Cheddite changed something with the material they use on the primer cup. I think that the piercing or failure to fire on the first strike is due to variations in metal thickness or hardness. I have switched to Remington and Winchester primers so I don't end up losing targets due to multiple failure to fires in a given sub event.

Many use them successfully without problems. I wished I could use them and enjoy the savings, but the cost difference isn't worth the lost targets or the general aggravation. Try them and if they work for you you'll enjoy the savings.

13. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I've used close to 40,000 of them and use my same old, Red Dot & 1 1/8 oz. load that I used for 20 years with Win. 209s....used interchangeabley with no other changes.
    Dick C.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

According to Giacomo.. they have a hard face and cause problems with the firing pins on Perazzi's.. I have used them with no issues.. but Giacomo reccomended going to Fiocchi's,or American made primers.. The secret is.. anything that has a inline firing pin will do fine.. Seitz,Cole,Ljutic,Just about every single barrel hammer gun.. Remington 1100's,870's,and most all pumps and auto's..they shoot well.. but you will pay a price.. sooner or later on a O/U with firing pins at a angle.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.