1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chedite primer?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Got some Chedite primers @ the Cardinal. Never used them before. Tried looking up some recipes for 1 oz loads in Rem hulls, using Clay Dot & TGT-12 wads. Used Nobel Sport & CCI 209 in the pst with 17.5 Clay Dot & they worked well.

Thanks for any help.

Lou

2. culverken

culverken Member

I just tried chedites for the first time in Rem Gun Clubs. I have been using rem STS primers. Every once in a while it seems like they dont seat completly in the hull and cause a bit of a hang up when indexing my machine. Has anyone else experienced this?

Ken

3. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Ken, yes but not to the point of noticing any hang-ups when indexing. But I also do not get them to seat perfectly either.

4. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I've noticed that Remington primers seem to have a thinner flange on them and the Remington hulls have a thinner flange recepticle on the primer pocket. When you use another brand primer than Remington, the primer won't quite seat flush in the the Remington hulls like the Remington primers will. ......Rick

5. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I am on my second 5 thousand and have not noticed any difference than the winchester 209's I have used previously, they don't seem to hang up any worse.

tom

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Have shot over 15,000 Cheddites with ZERO issues! OK...maybe one or two FTFs. Use them like Win 209s and don't think about it! - AndyH

7. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

I have found them to not seat completely in every hull except the Winchester AA.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I know that Nobel Sport primers are over sized & Remington, Winchester & CCI primers can't be used in hulls that have had Nobel Sport in them. Can Chedditte be used in hulls that have had Nobel sports in them?

Lou

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Probably going to be loose......I've found them snug in some, but mostly loose. I use Fiocchi 616s in the "junker" hulls for one-time reloading.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Rem primers have a radius at the flash hole end. All the rest are pretty much square. The Rem hull has a primer hole that corresponds to the shape of the Rem primer. So there is a slight flange at the end of the hole and other brand primers have to push past this to seat. I use a PW press and there is nothing pushing against the hull from the back side to help force the primer in. No problem when loaded the second time.

11. dixlab

dixlab TS Member

I was using Chedite for a while, but I found that my gun was punching a hole all the way through the back end. This made a mess in the gun. I switched to Nobel, but they are larger than the Winchester 209. So once you use Nobel in a hull you can't go back to Winchester. They are half the price though.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cheddites work fine in AA's. But, they have a problem in STS and Nitros the first time around. I give them two taps with my Dillon the first reload, and they seat find. I just bought 10K of Fiocchi 616's do they work in the STS and AA's without any problems? Are the just as hot as WW and cheddites?

13. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Over 100,000 fired with only one missfire and I found that one in the primer tray before it was loaded it had not guts inside the outer shell. They are the same o.d. at the rim as win and sts but are not tapered as much at the end away from the rim so they do seat a little harder but you can load win and sts's in hulls that have had cheddites load in them and they will not fall out. They are a bit hotter than winchester primers but not as hot as fed 209A's I load them like winchesters but my loads are well below the max so the difference isn't dangerous

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Used to use them and found them to be excellent primers, but then we fell out of love with the French so I quit.

15. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

175,000 Cheddites loaded, no issues other than the one iterated here about loading a once fired Rem hull. I switched to Nobel this year because of the price. $118 per sleeve vs $88.

Buz

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

3-4% would be punctured in the K-80 I use. Not good.

No problems in the BT99 my gf shoots.

Don

18. culverken

culverken Member

Last night I loaded some Gun Clubs for a second time with the Chedites and had no hang ups while indexing my machine. I guess it is only a problem the first time you load them.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will winchester primers stay in gun clubs that have been loaded with cheddites