1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddites

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Are they bigger in diameter than a win 209. Thinking of switching but don't want the win to fall out if I switch back. Thanks in advance. The gooser

2. warren

warren Member

I switched from Winchester too they work just fine

warren

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

It is my understanding that the load data for Alliant Powder is about the same? I am substituting Ceddites for Winchesters 209 primers. Just bought a sleeve of 5000.

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

you wont switch back after using them...

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"if I switch back"

hulls aren 't heirlooms and you won't switch back unless maybe you hit the lottery.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You won't switch back UNLESS you're one of us cursed souls whose guns punch holes in the primers so we can offset the low price of the primers by replacing burned firing pins every month. It happens!

Check them after you fire them; if the dimple in the primer is black, you punched a hole in at and there will be a corresponding crater on the nose of your firing pin which will make the pin more likely to punch more primers and on and on until you replace the pin or remove and repair it.

Keller

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Keller, I have only had that happen in the bottom barrel of my Citori. Must be because of the angled firing pin. Has never happened in my BT. Just use your top barrel

8. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Yup, I switched also. They work fine. No problems and no stretched primer pockets.

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I wonder why the Frogs don't fix their primers.

10. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Must be because of the angled firing pin. Has never happened in my BT. Just use your top barrel."</I></blockquote>Yes, I'm sure it's the angle of the firing pin and that I could probably address the issue by using the over barrel. But I'm stubborn. I like the way my guns feel and sound to me when I shot from the under barrel but I don't have the ready cash to invest in an unsingle. I'll simply avoid Chedittes for primers that work as they should where I prefer to use them!

Keller

11. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

It's not a gun problem, but a metallurgy problem with the primer. If it were a gun problem, all brands of primers would exhibit the same results.

12. oz

oz Active Member

why then do only certain guns have the problem?

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Will a Kolar have the problem?

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Switched over a few years ago and never looked back to Winnies. I shoot targets with a few Brownings and a couple of Berettas and no punching through primers and I've never had a fail to fire or squib. Cold winter has not been a problem.

15. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"why then do only certain guns have the problem?"</I></blockquote>It ain't complicated but there's more than 1 reason. I've had some guys who know about such things look at the primer strikes from my XTs. Seems that since the under barrel firing pin comes down at a steep angle from 1 side, it does more than make a dimple in the primer...it stretches the primer cup sideways as it dimples it. If the metal is too brittle, it tears instead of just stretching. Voila! a hole.

I have an XT that started punching Nobel primers after I put a new firing pin in it. New style Browning pins are longer than the old ones AND have a different nose profile as well. I dug around in the parts box and came up with several new old short pins. The old pins are at most .015" shorter than the new ones but the shorter length and the different nose shape is enough to eliminate punching the Nobels completely. Browning supposedly changed to the new pin because of whining about light strikes and FTF with cheap shells. So they oblige with a longer pin that punches holes in those shells and needs frequent replacement; smart marketing at Browning!

Keller

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've gone through 30,000 Cheddites and just bought 25,000 more. Never a problem of any kind.

17. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

My son(Osker),and I have shot 50 to 60K of them through multiple guns(1-BT99,2-CGs,1-S Sietz,and 1-Perazzi Mx10).We haven't experienced any problems that have been previously mentioned,but thats just our findings.

D.P.Reynolds

18. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

If you switch to cheddites, they will make the primer socket slightly larger, so other primers might fall out.
    Aside from that, they are well worth it. I have loaded hundreds of thousands of them without problems.

Never had a misfire.

19. APrice

APrice Active Member

Chedditte makes a primer especially for the 20 gauge?

20. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Gotta get me sum of them 20ga cheddites, 100s of 1000s of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.