1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

Trying to purchase primers and you guessed it win. 209 and rem 209 are out. Has anyone used the cheddite primers and do they seat well? and differences that you are aware of?

Bob S

2. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

they seat just fine. i use them in place of winchesters

3. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

Bob Try em you'l like em. Sub for Winchester and cant tell the dif. Never had a failure! Marv

4. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have heard that the cheddite primers are a bit larger and once you go to the cheddites you cant go back to winchester. Is this true?
    Bob S

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

they work fine out of 10,000 I had my first failure last weekend, seemed like a hard one. I will keep loading them.

tony

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Personally I have no problem wit the product just where they are made. France not being one of my favorite places. Dam frogs.

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Leadman, you didn't buy those primers in Illinois did ya? LOL
    Sorry man, just havein some fun. Colonelo

8. elinvar

elinvar Member

I see no difference in them and Winchesters except the price and where they are made- I prefer Winchester since they are made in USA. Right now Cheddite and Federal are the only primers that I can get in my shop.
    Terry Jones

9. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I've reloaded about 25,000 Cheddite primers. No Failures! Same size as Win or Rem.

Shoot well!
    Tom

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Alright Klink I'll put you over in the category with them there frogs. LOL I deserved that one I guess.

11. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I just had to switch to Chedittes. No Winchesters available, besides there is a significant price difference. Many folks have used them around here for years with no failures. Bill Malcolm

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The current Cheddite primers are about the same size as US 209 primers and should not enlarge standard primer pockets. They are NOT interchangeable with any other primer, nor will they give identical pressures and performance. There is a good amount of data out there for them. If substituting them for another primer, start with a low enough pressure load, so you have a little headroom for error. When in doubt, check with the powder company and they may be able to guide you. Some people have reported firing pin issues while using them. I've never had a problem with them except that they are French.

13. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have Winchester 209's in stock and also Remingtons. None of the distributors I buy from have any at this time and don't know when their next shipment will be. Cheddites are coning in sporadicaly also.

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have avoided these for years over the piercing problem in my Perazzi. The firing pin would pierce about 2-3% and I was concerned about pin erosion. Also there was a rash of firing pin failures in my shooting community and everyone was on a Cheddite primer. I have switched to Noble Sport and have had ZERO problems.

Tom

15. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Tom, Do Nobel sports enlarge the primer pockets? Haven't heard about those.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used the cheddite and winchester primers interchangeably for a good number of years and without primer pocket issues. Cheddites are fairly square shouldered while Winnies are more tapered. Sometimes, on my MECs, the Cheddite will "snap" into the pocket making a startling "snap" sound rather than enter smoothly because of that......Bob Dodd

17. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ken X

The Nobel Sports were larger than the standard US 209 primers when I last had some to check. To answer your question, the last ones I loaded did enlarge the primer pockets so they would not hold a standard 209 primer.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I just received my backorder from Grafs. 10,000 cost me $277 including the HAZ mat fee and shipping.

They work just like Winchester 209's for me.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has anyone used cheddite primers