1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wyomingcutthroat, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wyomingcutthroat

wyomingcutthroat Member

Where do Cheddite primers fit in the list of colder to hotter primers?
    Never reloaded with them before.

Thanks in advance, cutthroat

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

About the same as Win 209s. HMB

3. wyomingcutthroat

wyomingcutthroat Member

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Cutthroat

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

what hmb said.

tony

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cheddite 209 primers can safely be substituted for Cheddite 209 primers. Substituting components is a crap shoot. Primers do not always "conform" to the imaginary "List". Be safe and use reliable data for the exact components you are using. If you look through the available data, you can find instances where these primers develop higher pressures than others and instances where they are close, or lower in pressure. You have no way to predict what they will do and how "Hot" they will be in a given load.

That said, you might "get away" with such a substitution if your "starting" load is low enough in pressure so that a significant increase in pressure would not put it over the top. Why not just use the components listed in the data. There are a lot of loads listed for the Cheddite primers and it shouldn't be that difficult to obtain the rest of the components listed there.

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

The only thing that seems to be a problem is FINDING Cheddite Primers, much less any right now. It's really annoying.

Tim

7. 90tee

90tee TS Member

When I bought my first 5000 chedites at the grand in 2001, the dealer rep for chedite told me that the primers burn slightly hotter than winchester or cci. He recommended to cut back powder by 10% or reduce powder bushing by one size. I been shootin em ever since, with no problems.
    90tee

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

85TTR,

Is the URL complete???? the following is all I get when I click on the URL box in your post. Copied below..........

The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
    If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
    Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Quack Shot,

Are you sure, are you really sure, that Cheddite 209 primers can be safely substituted for Cheddite 209 primers? HMB

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

hmb

Only if they are the same lot number as the ones the data was compiled with. :)

All of the currently imported Cheddite 209 primers are supposedly the same in the US. If you are overseas, there are a few other versions to deal with.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I love that Italian lauguage website. And do not use them in a K80

12. JACK

Interestingly, I am loading with Cheddites, and I fail to find much data. Yes, adequate data is avail as loong as you are willing to have a loading room full of various powders, but far more data is avail using American primers. But just yeasterday, I chrono'd some Titewad/cheddite loads and was very pleased. In the case of both loads, I was using barely enough powder trying to stay under what littel published data there is for the combination. The felt recoil was minimal and the speeds were exactly hwat I hoped to accomplish. Taht of 1145 for a one ounce load and 1200 for a 1-1/16 ounce load. Nailed both. Too, I can tell you that felt recoil is very recognizeable when shooting thru the screens. And the Titewad produces a short snappy, but light kick to the shoulder. My daughter shot the one ounce for the first time and loved the result and I have been quite pleased wiht the mid range 1-1/16 oz load fo rjust general shooting and leagues etc. Recoil is lite and speed to the target is just fine.

13. JACK

Paul. Thakns for that. I will look now an come back and add to this post. I have some Cheddite/Titewad chrono data to add. Here is the record of my first "Pro-Chrono" usage. And then a e-note to my daughter after she shot league last evening.

[​IMG]

The top 3 are control group factory shells. Estates. 3 Dram equiv and they come out right on the money for what hey are supposed to be. 1200 FPS and 5 fps for each 1” of barrel beyond 30”

The next group is JM (Jack/Mark) loads to be shot for all general purpose shooting incl leagues and practice for he and I. They ave about 1206 FPS and that is perfect too. Knock off the 1185 and the 1223 and ave the other 4.

Your group, you throw out the 1162 high, the 1128 low, and the rest average 1147 FPS. Could not be better speed wise.

The PB loads are a bit peppy, but they are loaded for long distance hcp and are recipe for1-1/8 ounce lead and I am using my 1-1/16th oz lead. That is why it is fast. If I was using ounce and an eighth, they would be down around 1230 FPS. But I am shooting 8s this year and that is more pellets than 7.5s I was using last year in my ounce and an eighth shells.

Next time I do this, I will be a bit more organized and have the results be more easily compiled and understood.

Congrats on your 49.

The 685 one you see is due to too much sunlight on the sky screens. I had to adjust the position of the unit so that the sun had to come thru the diffusers.

Jack Swanson

Monday-Friday day phone 800-344-4840

Cell 715-441-2384

Message Centers for both numbers

begin at 5 to 6 rings.

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Excellent hmb, just excellent.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thank you. HMB

Thread Status: