1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Anybody using cheddite primers and clays powder for one ounce loads? If so what bushing do you use with a mec reloader?

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

A bushing is not used to dispense Cheddite primers...

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

the problem with chedite primers i found is they are a bit larger than american primers(.001),and they strech the hulls a bit so if you load on a machine like mine(p.w 800b)they tend to ruin a few hulls(1-2 out of 50 by not seating rite)and if you go back to a different primer and shoot a auto loader they will blow out a primer from the hull once& a while,after using 5000 of them im going back to winchester.,mark

4. thunder

thunder Active Member

I have loaded approximately 100,000 Chettite primer over the last 7 years. They are a great primer. I use 16.6 grains of Clays with a Downrange TGT12 wad with 1oz of hard shot, chettite primer, very soft shooting. This is around a 1150 fps load out of 34" barrel. Please use a scale to get the correct bushing, I use a adjustable bar in my mec and always scale lots of loads out of a new keg of powder.

Good Shooting,
    Andy

5. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thanks guys. Does anyone know about the blue dusters. Do u have data with these wads and cheddite primers.

6. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Plinker61 this is simple not true. I have loaded over 70,000 Cheddiets in STS hulls, green and gold and then CCI209M printers in the same hulls and other than "User Error" have not had a problem in seating, firing with Chedittes. .001" in minimal in the scheme of things. Perhaps it's a PW problem.

Richard Luckett

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Get a good scale and a couple of good reloading handbooks and then go to the manufacturer's websites for more information and data. The scale is used to determine what YOUR bushing or press is throwing in regards to charge weights. Do not rely on second hand information. It sounds like you are a beginner, so if you can befriend a reloader at a local club to walk you through it, it could save you a lot of time and trouble. Be sure to use the EXACT compnents listed in the data you are using. Any deviation could cause a change in pressure and/or performance. It's not worth experimenting with.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have also loaded several hundred thousand Cheddites without issue. I do not remember ever having a Cheddite fail to fire.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another user of Cheddites, approaching 100,000, and never a single size problem. I used Winchester and Cheddites interchangeably for a long period and may well do it more. Many of those loads were 1 oz and Clays or 700X but I will not suggest certain bushings since that's something for which you should employ your scale.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

Tuscarora:
    Try a 31 bushing--standard warnings apply, but I think you'll find this around 17gr and it works well with either Wolf or Cheddites.
    John

11. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

I load 7/8 ounce at 1300 fps and at those preasures I can change wads and primers and not worry about it. Fowl Frank

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They work great in AA's, A little tight in STS's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.