1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHEDDITE PRIMERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perezal, Sep 16, 2013.

1. perezal

perezal Member

I read that there has been a problem with firing pins going threw the primer upon impact, maybe that's what is causing it?

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was told there are two style firing pins for K-80's, if you continually shoot Euro style shells and or Cheddite primers--Check getting the European length firing pins.

I do not shoot a K gun. This is fact.

Phil Berkowitz

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

15,000k+ Cheddite primers through my Beretta with no pitting. Probably not completely accurate to blame the primers alone.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check your fired shells. See if there is any black soot on the primer where the firing pin hit. If there is, the firing pin is piercing the primer which is the cause of the pitting. HMB

5. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I have shot several K80's over the last 20 years. I have tried to shoot Cheddites twice a couple years apart.I had perforated primers both times,about 5-10/100.It wasn't the gun because I had the same problem w/ my M12 Bird gun at the same time.

When I sent a K80 in for an annual I received a note when it came back that it looked like I was using Cheddite primers and suggested not to.Burning the firing pin is one issue but the more serious issue is that that the hot gas was going into the trigger etc.
    Most guys use Cheddites and have had great luck with them and wouldn't use anything else- I moved on and shoot only WN209's or CCI 209's.

6. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Yep, i had to trade off the last of my cheddite primers because my winchester was poking holes in them, i went back to nobilesports.

7. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Just looked through a couple hundred spent and ejected primers. Not one punctured. Shot about 15,000 or so an only had 2 ftf. Wil keep an eye on it and make sure i dab the fp with some rem oil.

8. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Shot thousands through different kinds of trap guns and never had a problem.

9. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I had about 15% piercing in my K-80.

10. goodlife

goodlife Member

Yes you are correct about the Cheddite primers pitting the firing pins. My squad mates and I all took our K-80s for our annual service at Krieghoff in Ottsville, PA. The techs there told us that Cheddites and other inexpensive primers are the cause of the firing pins being pitted. We will still use the Cheddites as long as we get our guns serviced annually. The techs take care of the firing pins but will wear as soon as you go back to the Cheddites. I personally go through 20K primers per season and do not have any kind of break downs.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Take an empty hull with a Cheddite and one with an AA primer and look at them.

The Cheddite looks stretched, the AA looks dented.

I shoot 8 different guns, and have no piercing, but none are K-80's

Must be the length, angle, or sharpness of the K-80 firing pin.

12. KMXT

KMXT Member

I was piercing both Winchester and Chedidites with a K80 and a Browning Lightning. I was using new style winchester hulls and Downrange XL-1 wads. I found that if I put the wad in just enough so the hull would crimp, it would stop piercing the primers. Try pushing a wad down past the base wad, and try to pull the wad back out with your fingers. It is tight. Started loading remington hulls with same recipe and I no longer pierce primers. I tried primers from several different batches so you can't say I had a bad batch of primers.

13. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I can not imagine why or how wad depth would stop primer piercing.

14. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

My experience with Cheddites. pierced primers in my Brownings worse on the lower barrels.

Loaded 100 410 shells ran them thru my 12GA with tubes 30% pierced smoked 1 set of firing pins, burnt ends.

Loaded 100 12ga. shells same gun thinking headspace on the tubes might have something to do with it. Nope 25% pierced smoked those firing pins.

Loaded 100 20ga. for small frame browning smoked lower firing pin, upper no issue.

My conclusion is the firing pin angle has to be a contributing factor, lower pins in a Browning come in at a pretty good angle(striking up and to the right on the primer) on the large frame and slightly less in the small frame by pins being closer together due to frame size. Upper pins less angle and small frame even less. And the long pins have always been the uppers in Brownings.

ALL my guns when the firing pin hits the primer straight on no issues, Beretta 390, Remington 1100, Mossberg 930 and Blaser O/U.

YMMV but his is mine.

I will use my remaining primers in my throw away hulls for my autos.

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

This has been a known fact for many years regarding the recommendation to not use Cheddite primers in a K-80. Krieghoff International always cautions K-80 users to avoid those primers, yet someone always comes on here and says things like, "15,000k+ Cheddite primers through my Beretta with no pitting. Probably not completely accurate to blame the primers alone."...

JR

16. mike b.

mike b. Member

They have had this problem since day one. Angle or length of pin is definitely the problem. Fine in some of my guns but not in others....conclusion is not with the bother since others work in all guns!

17. mike b.

mike b. Member

Correction....worth......not with!

18. BIGBIRD49

BIGBIRD49 Member

I tried Cheddite primers and had pierced primers in three different Brownings and a Model 12. I got rid of the rest of the Cheddites and will not buy them again.

Dick

19. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Bigbird, how new was your firing pin on the m12? I have a new fp ready to put in mine should it break. But have not had any piercings to date. Might do a good cleaning of the bolt and measure the fp and grind the new one down as discussed in a prior poast.

Open question - Could these piercing also be a result of new or longer hammer springs? Thought it was interesting the fella above had different results relative to the over/under he had issues with. Meaning if the spring itsnt used that much, it is conceivably "stronger".

20. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

It is the metallurgy of the frog primers that is the problem.

Think about it. We're not punching through other primers, now, are we?

Search tags for this page

cheddite 209 primers problems with fireing pins

cheddite primers vs cci primers