1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zaob1, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaob1

zaob1 Member

I have been told that cheddite primers can cause problems with certain guns. I have shot these for the past 2 to 3 years and have not had a problem. Skb's, beretta's, but have heard that brownings do not like them. I would like to hear your thoughts about these primers. This is not just for myself, but for a couple of guys who I shoot with.

Rick

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This topic has been gone over many many times. I am sure a search will give you an answer.

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I've used them in Perazzi's Krieghoffs,Ithaca's and never had any problems with them. They seem to be a good primer,equal to winchesters. Some people like them ,others hate them,but thats why theres vanilla and chocolate. p.s. I belive I've gone thru 50'000 already with out a hitch

4. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use them in 3 BT-99 plus' and a Citori plus for more then 10-15 years with no problems.

5. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I`ve used thousands of these primers. Just to be clear , I load them in Gun Club hulls only and have experienced no problems in my Citori or 1100`s.

However , I know there have been problems with firing pins piercing them in K 80`s and other guns.

There have been quite a few threads about them here , and on the SGW reloading forum also.

Regards , Pete ( Rainier , Wa.)

6. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

My 391 would poke a hole in them at least 2 or 3 for every box of shells

Could have been the firing pin DONO

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

20,000 no problem 1100, bt-99, XT trap

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

None of my XTs can digest them using the new version firing pin in the bottom barrel. If I put the older version short firing pins in I have no problems.

It's easier to avoid Cheddites than it is to shorten firing pins just to be able to use them.

Keller

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Good post Keller..

10. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I`ve used thousands of these primers. But the only problem I had was about 4 weeks ago when I pickup a bad sleeve of them..... some of them wouldn't go off, but you can have that in any primers that you get. They must have had a bad day at the factory that day is all I can think of.

11. BIGBIRD49

BIGBIRD49 Member

I have had pierced these primers with an XT, a Model 12, and a Citori Lightning. I won't buy any more.

Dick

12. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I've loaded around 45,000 and shot them all through my K-80. Not 1 failure to fire or pierced primer. Firing pins are still in good shape too. So I have no hesitation in buying the next 10k.

Shoot well and often,
    Tom

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've shot 10,000's of Cheddites through my Ljutic and Beretta's. Never any problem what so ever.

14. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Pierced primerss and burned firing pins in two K80's and 2 M12 bird guns. I have tried them twice and had the same problem- it's about 4-5 /100.

I wish I could use them but paying more ( if you can find anything is cheaper than repairing your firing pins and triggers)is cheaper in the long run.

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

3yrs shooting,only have used Cheddites,Browning sporting clay and Bt 99,had first failure to fire last thursday,not bad for three years of shooting if ya ask me.

Doug H.

16. zaob1

zaob1 Member

Thanks for all the posts. I will pass this information on to my fellow shooters.

Rick

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I had never had a failure to fire with them except in 25 degree weather. I had no trouble with factory shells that morning but the reloads with cheddite primers would not shoot. It would just barely put a dimple in the primer, just enough to see that they were hit but the factory hulls were hit hard. Might have just been a sleeve that was thicker. I have used over 25,000. Jackie B.

18. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I have shot well over 20,000 in several different guns including a Ljutic and have never had an issue.

19. willing

willing Member

50000 in my xt, 1100 and 11-87 with no problems.

Bill

20. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

25,000 and counting. Perazzi, Model 12 and kreigoff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.