1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Usually I reload with a Federal shotgun primer, but my supplier is out at the moment. When I look at the Alliant Powder reloading guide for Cheddite I do not see much data for Guidance. Are they of good quality? And what load charts do you use. I use Clay Dot and American Select for powder. Can I simply substitute them for a Fed. 209, I am a bit nervous about direct substitution.

2. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Yes, the cheddite is lower in power/pressure when compared to a fed209A so safe to substitute. Cheddite equal to a Win 209. Data for the Win on the charts will confirm the lesser power in reference to your Fed load.

3. Selka

Selka TS Member

1. Cheddite primers are not as hot as Federal primers.

2. I have read on here that Cheddite primers are hard on firing pins - ???

3. I tried Cheddite primers and was satisfied with performance - won't

use because the box they are packaged in will not fit the primmer tray

on my PW reloader. To many get turned on ther sides putting them into

the tray.

They will probably do just fine for you!

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Maybe I will just have to refuse the order, this is a bit discouraging. I too use a PW 800, but sometimes the Old MEC 650 is up an running. Probably will have to touch base with Alliant for their input.

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I'm on my 5th sleeve of cheddites loading both Federal GM and STS. Not one FTF and no pierced primers

Just my experience.

6. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

Over 200,000 and very satisfied with the performance. Several years ago I had 2 pierced primers, using a Perazzi MX3 special Combo.

NOT a big deal.

Ron Schroer -Sun City, TX

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Personally have only used a few hundred Cheddites but my shooting pardner has been using them for about 10 years and I can only remember 1 maybe 2 duds in many-many 1000s, no pierced primers-no problems. He shoots them in a TM1---Beretta O&U and a 390, I have used them in my Rem. 31 TC and an 1100---L C Smith and 5E Ithica and a couple others that I've owned over the years (never should have sold the 1100--L C Smith or the 5E) Wouldn't be worried about changing. Good Luck Ross Puls

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Tanda do you use any printed load Data?

9. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Per my conversations with Alliant, I use Win 209 data.

10. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Per the Technical Service Manager at Alliant----
    "I suggest treating the Cheddite primer like the Win 209 or Rem 209P."

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I will have to echo the last few post. Ben from Alliant will tell you, as he told me, to use Rem209 recipes.

Bryan

12. johnpe

johnpe Member

Some reloaders do not agree with my comments that follow, but this is my experience. I bought and used one sleeve of Cheddite primers. On the first reload in a given batch of hulls everything was absolutely OK, loading and shooting. And, when I re-reloaded the same hulls with Cheddites, again there were no problems. However, when I tried to reload the hulls that had been shot with Cheddites with Winchester 209's I kept finding primers on the floor that had fallen out and powder in the machine. Upon measuring the diameter of the two right under the flange, the Cheddites were 0.0015 to 0.002 inches larger than the Winchesters. The hull's primer pockets had been expanded. My conclusion is that if you only reload hulls with Cheddites you are OK, but just don't try to go back to American primers. You would think that as many primers that Cheddite, Rio and others from Europe sell over here, they would make sure all lots of them would match the American primers.

Johnpe

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I hate to use them, because of where they are made, but I've used many thousands. They work great and they are a lot cheaper than American made primers.

14. warren

warren Member

I've gone thru two cases of them now and they set off the powder and make the gun go boom. Here's an interesting twist on them, they obviously do not have as much power as the 209s that I used to use, however the 209s would push the wad out the end of the barrel when something happened and the shell didn't get any powder and I would loose the target because there was no wad in the barrel, the cheddites do not, this has happened three times in the last year and each time I knocked the wad out and got my target. I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is but what the heck three more than I would of got and I need every break I can get.

warren

15. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

I have been loading cheddite primers for years using a PW 375 and now a PW 800 plus with NO
    problems. The box fits tight in my tray but I have not had any problems dumping it. They are cheaper,
    load with no problems, go off 100% of the time and have not caused any problems with my guns.
    Load lots!! Shoot often!! Have FUN !!!
    Jim

16. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I always figured saving $5-$10 on the cost of a sleeve of primers was not worth the possible firing pin issues that could arise using cheddites. If I had to watch what I spend on primers that close I should not be in this game. I use nothing but Win209 and don't plan on saving $5-$10 anytime soon. Never had a problem with them with many thousand shot.

17. oz

oz Active Member

I have a PW and the cheddites go in fine. you have to be careful but they work fine. I have gone through 15,000+ with no malfunctions. they always go bang.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You may want to try a couple of three hundred before you buy 5000 to see how they work in all your guns you reload for, before you buy 5000. There is no rhyme or reason why some firing pins pierce these primers, while other make and model guns do not!!! So there is no way you can tell unless you try a few. If your shotgun does pierce there primer covers you will need to buy a new firing pin before to long and this will negate any savings of the cost of primers and will cost you extra money in the long run. By using a couple of hundred you should not hurt your guns firing pin if it only happens a couple of times. Otherwise you might be trying to sell off 4,700 primers at a great loss. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

19. dessivanov

dessivanov Member

I have reloaded over 30000 and have not had even one misfire or pierced. They work great with Beretta, Browning, Remington, Winchester, and K-32. I don't buy them to save $ but because they are always in stock unlike others. I have broken many 100 straights with them. Good luck.

20. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

My biggest concern was to get the correct load data. Postings here indicate that one should use the Win 209 Load Data. Will check with Alliant Powder to verify. Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
209 cheddite prinmers how hot
a cheddite primer is equal to what
cheddite gn primer problem

cheddite primer substitution

cheddite primers equels what primer
shotgun powder clay dot with cheddite primers
substitute cheddite for winchester
substitution for cheddite primers