1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lou99, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou99

lou99 TS Member

Are the new cheddite primers oversized?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

3. lou99

lou99 TS Member

Thank you. been loading winchesters.

4. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Look at them carefully after firing! I had about 15% piercing when used with my Krieghoff! The primer metal is thinner.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think you might want to look at your K gun. HMB

6. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Nothing wrong with my K gun! Others have had the same problem, this was discussed on threads here several times in the past. I was advised NOT to use Cheddite primers when I had it serviced.

7. DanLee

DanLee Member

Haven't noticed any piercing in the three sleeves of Cheddites I've run through my 1100.

Dan

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with my Cheddite primers!! I was advised not to use a mal adjusted K gun when using Cheddite primers. HMB

9. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Are you saying Krieghoff factory service returns a mal adjusted gun?

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Firing pin too sharp maybe?

11. bart two gun

bart two gun TS Member

loaded and fired 20000 rounds in last 18 months with cheddite primers in my krieghoff with out the first problem , you need to look at your K gun for a problem.!!!!!

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have around 4,000 STS primers (without yet counting them) I would trade for fresh live Cheddites.

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

My Opinion:
    Cheddites are the best value in the reloading community at this point and time.

I've loaded with over 50,000 of their 209's without failure and have never experienced piercing. I have loaded Cheddites in all gauges and shoot them in Perazzi's, Beretta's brake open and auto's, Browning brake open and auto's, Remington 870, guerini's and even Huglu's without issues. All of my reloading friends have never mentioned failures or piercing. I guess Krieghoff's are the odd gun out????

Surfer

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have never used Cheddites myself but shoot a couple times a week with a friend who has used them for several years & have not heard him mention any bad experiences with them, he shoots a P gun & an older Beretta Mark II. Ross Puls

15. fnj682

fnj682 Member

I have also had primer piercing in the Cheddites. I have loaded other primers including Noble Sport, Wolf and other of the less expensive primers with no issue. I wonder if the problem is related to certain lots of Cheddites? It did seem to happen more in my Krieghoff but did also happen in several other of my guns.

16. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I've fired thousands through a Super X-1, 1187 trap, two 101 sbt's, and an SKB. Nary a pierced primer or even a misfire!

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have a browning superposed that will pierce many brands of primers....

obviously, not the guns fault!! (harrumph)

18. biercart

biercart Member

I shoot a Krieghoff and changed over to Cheddites last year and have loaded over 10,000 rounds without a problem, they are every bit as good as Winchester and at a fraction of the price.

19. AEP

AEP Member

No problems here either. I shoot a Kolar, and the wife shootsa BT-99. I would take the Cheddites over the Winchesters any day. I have had problems with Winchesters. Not one problen with the Cheddites.

I was a die hard Winchester Hulls, and primers fan. The last batch of once fired AA hulls I received I had nothing but problems. Their primers are not as good as they used to be either. I now shoot STS hulls and Cheddite primers.

It's a shame a company like Winchester made top-notch componets, and thanks to the bean counters they are considered below average.

Andy

20. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Too funny HMB! Just for the record, have shot 20,000 and going on 25,000 with Sgun, Lgun and Beretta without a pierced primer! Maybe author should look again at his gun!? Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.