1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fivestraight, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fivestraight

fivestraight Member

Cant find much loading data for cheddite primers. Anyone know how they stack up power wise with federal, winchester and remington primers?
  2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I load them the same as a Winchester 209. HMB
  3. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

For Alliant powders you could contact Ben Ammonette in Cust. Service at Alliant. I have his email address as Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM He has always been very helpful and knows a ton of stuff about reloading Alliant Powders. I use Red Dot and Cheddite primers and am completely happy with the combination. Plus I sure like the $40-60 saving per 5000 primers vs the high priced guys.

Walter
  4. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I load Cheddite primers, Remington Hull, Down Range Wad, 17.0 grains of clays, with 1 oz. of #8's and had them ballistic tested by Down Range. They performed almost identical the the Winchester's that I had tested alongside them.

I love the savings!!
  5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

525, what were the pressures?
  6. claykiller

claykiller Member

You pay less and they're a good primer, but it's foreign made. I'll pay the extra money to keep the words "Made in the USA" on my Winchesters.
  7. claykiller

claykiller Member

You pay less and they're a good primer, but it's foreign made. I'll pay the extra money to keep the words "Made in the USA" on my Winchesters.
  8. claykiller

claykiller Member

9. fivestraight

fivestraight Member

Claykiller, I assume you shoot a Kolar also.
  10. claykiller

claykiller Member

11. tanda1

tanda1 Member

But, admit it, you have been having impure import temptations haven't you?

[​IMG]
  12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are not equivalent to any primer, so you should not be swapping components without data to support it. That said, if you start out with data having a low enough pressure, you can likely substitute the Cheddite primer for Winchesters, CCI209M, or Federal 209A. Starting with a lower pressure load should give you enough headroom for error. I would strongly recommend staying away from higher pressure loads (over 9000 - 9500 PSI or so) without having data for the exact components you are using.
  13. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Hodgdon has quite a bit of data for them.

I've used the WIN209 data for the Alliant powders, RD, CD & GD, as a starting point and chronographed the loads to get the desired velocity. As long as you are not trying to push the envelope, I think you will be fine. If the WIN209 data is up against the 11K psi ceiling, I'd go with the actual primer specified.
  14. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Member

I talked to Ben about Cheddite primers and said they are a direct substitute for Winchester. He also said use Red Dot specs for Promo...

Doc
  15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

While many shooters enjoy useing these primers, some have had problems with the firing pin puncturing the primer cover and get the end of their firing pins burned. After this happens several times the fireing pins have to be replaced. This can cost you more in the long run. I suggest trying a couple hundred of these primers first before buy them in bulk. From what I've seen on this website there seems to be no ryme or reason for this. Some K guns have problems while others don't, same for brownings, beretta's. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff
  16. AEP

AEP Member

I called Alliant tech support several months ago. They said to load them like Winchester 209's. I chronographed and they are the same velocity as Winchester 209's.

Andy
  17. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Are they the same size? Thx
  18. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Graf's has dropped the price of WW 209's almost to the price of Cheddites.
  19. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Member

Connie's has Cheddites for $109.99:http://conniescomponents.com/cheddite_209.html

I have loaaded 19,000 rounds since October using Cheddites with no firing pin problems and only 2 failure to fires.

Doc
  20. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Graf's is $124.99 for Cheddite and $131.99 for both Winchester and Federal. Not much of a difference.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.