1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dphillips8191, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I picked up some Cheddite primers, I have not loaded with them before, They appear to close to winchester 209's. Any feed back from anyone who has experience with them would be good. I don't see them listed very much in the Alliant/IMR charts. Thanks

2. AEP

AEP Member

I called Alliant. They said to load them the same as Win 209's. I chronographed using hand loaded Win 209 & Cheddites. The velocity was the same.

I used to only load Win 209. I have quite a few bricks of old Win 209's. I have never had a mis-fire. I purchased 10,000 of the new Win 209's. Out of each brick of 5,000 I had at least 3 mis-fires. Never had a mis-fire, that I remember, with the old Win 209's, and I have shot at least 30,000 rounds. A friend gave me some Cheddites to try. They worke fine. I'm on my second brick of 5,000 and not one problem.

I don't know what Winchester did, but in my opinion the newer Win primers are not like the old.

Maybe I'm the only one with the problems

Andy

3. goodlife

goodlife Member

I have used 20k Cheddite primers and have not had any misfires. I would reccomend them any time..
    Larry

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Cheddite primers, Promo powder. once fired Gun club hulls ( free off the ground), and whatever wad you prefer. And a good quality reclaimed shot. 3.27cts a box for me to reload. Jim

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

My Brownings punch holes in them. Wrecks the firing pins.

There is loading data for them in the Hodgdon on-line data.

MK

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

The package they come in is a tiny bit larger than other brands.When you turn them upside down to load in the primer tray of a PW loader you'll find they don't fit in.....they are too big and when you slide the cover off most times you get spillage of primers.Other than that trouble they load and fire just fine for me but the primer tray issue was too much for me.I will not use them any more.

crab

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I switched because of availability issues and am now using them because of the lower costs.

8. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Ditto on Tripod's comment...

I shoot Brownings and have not had any issues with perforated primers..so far so good. When I bought the first 5K, I walked across the vendor area and asked the Alliant Rep about subbing them for Winchesters with ClayDot and GreenDot powered loads...no problem, and they liked their consistency.

Bill

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They work fine, and the price is a lot better. They're French, but the French make great wine, women, and fries too.

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I had an issue but not with the Cheddite's however when I went back to Remington primers in the same hull that I previously loaded with the Chedittes. It seems as though the Cheddites are a little bit bigger diameter and on some of thew hull it "stretched" the hole enough for the Remington s to be a little loose. it didn't matter when shot in a fixed breach gun ( BT, XT etc..) but when fired in an 1100 some of the Remington primer's actually came out and of course lodged in the action of the gun. Hope it helps. Jim W

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Probably the most used shotshell primer worldwide there is. I've used them for several years and not a single problem with them missing a beat.

If I was loading AAs on a PW loader, I'd use AA primers though! The AAHS hulls primer pocket has a slight taper, so do their primers. Forcing a Cheddite/Federal/or other straight primers may cave in the shell base a tad too much.

Hap

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

My K-80 also pierced the primer cup.

Worked fine in in my gf's BT-99

Don Verna

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hap, I've been using them for several years and never had that problem. All I use is AA's in all four gauges but I use Mec loaders. LOL Jackie B.

14. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I don't own any Brownings but I have never had a misfire or any other issue with them. I think Cheddites are as good as Winchesters, Federals or any other primer I have had occasion to use. The Cheddite package is larger so I have to be a bit more careful placing it in the primer tray of my Hornady 366 but it's no big deal.

15. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I have a PW reloader and noticed the problem with loading them in the tray, too.

Simple fix. I just cut a small piece of cardboard the exact size of the plastic primer holder. After removing the sleeve I lay the piece of cardboard on top of the primers, flip it over and lay it in the primer tray. pull the piece of cardboard out and then remove the plastic holder.

Simple act of ingenuity that save me $$ instead of having to buy the much more expensive Win/Rem/Fed primers.

Kiv

16. Hap MecTweaks

Jackie B., that's almost like cheatin guy!! Gittin to load all them hulls without problems, magine thet???? LMAO

Hap

17. Unknown1

The primer holder already has carboard over it. The primer packaging fits if you put it in with the open sides against the tray sides. Just slit one front fold with a razor blade and hold the package together while you put it into the tray. Then slide the cut sleeve out from under the plastic primer tray.

MK

18. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"If I was loading AAs on a PW loader, I'd use AA primers though! The AAHS hulls primer pocket has a slight taper, so do their primers. Forcing a Cheddite/Federal/or other straight primers may cave in the shell base a tad too much."</I></blockquote>Hmmm, that's odd. All I use in AA HS hulls in my P-Ws are Federal primers and I have never felt like I was forcing them in or even changed the shape of a hull base. They fit nicely.

MK

19. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I started using Cheddite primers about a year ago. I did have close to a dozen primers that were bad. I think that somehow something happened at the factory. The bad primers that I had all came out of the same box of 1000. Since then I have used at least 15,000 Cheddite primers and have not had a single misfire due to a primer issue. I shoot and XT and a KS-5 Special. I do occasionally see a primer that has a hole punched in it from the firing pin and I did say occasionally. I load them the same as Winchester primers and other than the one box have not had any problems with them. I have 2,000 sitting on the self in the closet and another brick of 5,000 on the floor in the closet.I use a MEC 9000 with the new larger primer tray and have no problem loading the primers. I see no reason to change from the Cheddite primers.Just my 2 pennies worth.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Unknown one, is it possible some primer manufacturers have changed the configuration such as length over the years too? I haven't used Feds for years. I do know that the Winchester primer shape has evolved and at one time looked/measured identical the the Federal 209. It sounds as though the Feds may be a tad shorter today, or is it the Win primers are a tad longer with that tapered end?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

did cheddite change their packaging