1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

CHEDDITE PRIMERS RELOADING DATA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DUCKDOG71, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUCKDOG71

DUCKDOG71 TS Member

I was trying to get some information on reloading data for Cheddite primers. I did a search here and people say that there is alot of info but I haven't been able to find anything here or on the web. I read that some guys are using them almost interchangably with Winchester 209's. I figured there would be a site like Alliant or Hodgdon has that has tables with data but so far, haven't been able to find anything. As most of you know, Winchester and Remington primers are getting harder to find and I can get Cheddites from my local guy at a good price. I was looking to load 12 ga as well as sub-guages. Any help that you guys can give me would be great. Thanks.
  2. Andy44

Andy44 TS Member

Hodgdon has data for some Cheddite primered loads in their manual. I use them as well as Wolfs with great results, but....I do NOT load anywhere max pressure on any of my loads! If you keep your loads under 9000 psi, you probably won't have any problems.

AndyH ;-)
  3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Duck. Cheddite data is limited. I loaded about 8000 with Titewad in STS and had good results. But I was pushing 1-1/16 oz lead, assuming that the pressures would drop a little. Tell us what powder you plan to use and the rest of the stuff too.
  4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

When I called Alliant several months ago regarding this same question, I was told that they were inter changeable with AA/Winchester 209's. I happen to like them better after using them in my Spolar. Fred
  5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Cheddites are hotter than the win209. I consider them on par with the Fed209a.

Be careful. Flame away.

Thank you,

Longshooter
  6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have used Cheddites off and on for several years, probably 100,000 or more, and treated them as interchangeable with WW 209s. My chronograph will suggest they produce a scant more average velocity than the Winchesters but individual shots are well within the highs and lows of the Winchesters. Never a problem for me but I too admit to not loading anywhere near maximum pressures......breakemall.....Bob Dodd
  7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I sent an inquiry by email to Alliant powder for a comparison of the Cheddites with Win 209 and Rem 209P (STS).

Ben Amonette, customer service manager with Alliant emailed me back that they were about the same.
  8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Cheddite has imported two flavors of primers: CX-1000 (a little cooler than W-209) and CX-2000 (a little hotter than W-209, but not as robust as the F209A or CCI-M).

Both are stable and consistent, but all that are available these days are the CX-2000, and they are not a good substitute for high pressure loads, however they do light up ball powders well.

Bob
  9. DUCKDOG71

DUCKDOG71 TS Member

Thanks for the info so far. My usual load for 7/8 oz is Hodgdon clays 16.9 gr, pink Winchester/claybuster wad, Win AA hull, Win 209 primer. I also aquired a 6lb keg of Win 296 powder for free (which is still good judging from the handfull of loads I've done so far) and all I can find on it was data with Win 209 primers so if the primers are comparable, I would like to burn that powder or otherwise go buy about 3000 Win 209 primers to go with it. I do also load for 20 and .410. I use Win 296 ball powder for my .410 and aside form using Hodgdon Intern'l and Universal in my 20 ga, I use 10.9 gr of Hodgdon Clays with Winchester wads and primers which is a recipe someone at my club gave me a while ago and I have used for years. Thanks again, Bob
  10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You can use the CX-2000 in all those recipes with no pressure issues, and I'll just bet you're going to like how your 410/296 loads light up with the Chedds.

Bob
  11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The only data Alliant has for Cheddite primers is for Cheddite hulls. They've never fully tested them (statement from Alliant).

If you look up the Cheddite data in the Hodgdon data guide (I checked the Remington hulls, 1 1/8 load, all hodgdon powders) you'll find that some powders produce over 1000 psi higher pressure with Cheddite primers than the same component combination with Winchesters. Other powders, different results.

You're going to need to consider the powder and other components you intend to use when you sub Cheddites for Winchesters. To say that they are similar without the caution that there are exceptions is inaccurate.

Carol Lister
  12. DUCKDOG71

DUCKDOG71 TS Member

Correction-I acquired a 6lb keg of Winchester 452AA, not 296 as I mentioned before. I do load my .410 with the 296 though so knowing that the CX-2000 will work is great. Any info on that would be great!!
  13. DUCKDOG71

DUCKDOG71 TS Member

Does anyone have any experience with Cheddite primers and Winchester 452 Powder?
  14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

DUCKDOG71

I don't believe I have ever seen data for Winchester 452AA powder using Cheddite primers. If you were to use them, you'd be doing so without any valid data to support it. You might "get away" with it, or you might not. The combination is an unknown. If you really want to do it the right way, find some reasonable and reliable data for the 452 powder, make up a few samples and have them tested at a facility that can give you results with pressure and velocity results. Either that, or bite the bullet and use the data as written, IF you can still find the EXACT components listed.

I would also question the validity of using the Cheddite primer in the smaller gauges without data to support it.

When someone tells you to swap components, ask them for the data and reasoning to support it. If it's just an opinion, then you know what they say about opinions.
  15. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I've heard that Cheddites are a bit hotter than W209, to the tune of about .5 grains less powder in a given load. I KNOW that this is an approximation. I've loaded at least .5 grains less per given load for months now, thousands of shells, and it has worked perfectly. I can use the Cheddites interchangeably with W209s and there has been NO primer pocket problems. I don't load to max pressure, as there is no need to, and am perfectly happy with my Cheddite primed loads. I've used AA shells, STS shells, Promo and 700X powders. I have used the AA and STS shells interchangeably with no ill effects. There are slight adjustments to the final crimp stage between the AA and STS, but that's it on my Hornady 366 press.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Jeff
  16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The warning flag has been raised.

Thank you,
    Longshooter
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheddit primers
cheddite 209 primer reloading data