1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite Primers Punched Through

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gary0920, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary0920

gary0920 Member

<a href="http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af112/Tyden0416/?action=view&current=DSC02861.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

These were all fired from top barrell of Perazzi DB-81. I have been loading Wincheter and Fiocchi primers for the last 3 years and never had even 1 punch through. I have 10 to 15 of these Cheddites punch through out of each box. I tried a new firing pin and got the same result. Shot several boxes of the Winchester and Fiocchi after this one and no problems.

<a href="http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af112/Tyden0416/?action=view&current=DSC02863.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

You can feel the difference in recoil when these primers punch through. Anyone else experience this?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, Yes the Cheddites are notorious for getting pierced. They have burned off the ends of fireing pins on many Krieghoff's at my home club. They also get many others as well. Hope you didn't buy to many of them. They work OK is some guns and like yours in others. Seems to be no ryme or reason for it. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gary,

I had a few do this a while back. I was a little puzzled to say the least. I reset my primer seat depth on my press and the problem went away. It seem as if the primer was just a tic high and not seated deeply enough. I've reloaded about 4000 more since then with zero issues.

ss

4. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

I guess some guns have problems while others not at all. I've never tried them but have heard these primers get piercing rather easily and when that happens it burn/erodes the firing pin. I have often considered developing a load that utilizes Cheddite primers as they are so inexpensive, however have not been able to find them locally for sale, and to purchase online with the haz-mat fee it doesn't make any sense to purchase in a quantity of less then 5,000. I just don't want to buy a case and find out my gun is one that issues with them.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Might just be the angle of the photo shot or maybe the lighting, but it sure looks like a deep depression from the firing pin! Does it punch all brands of primers that deep?

Can't remember what the typical firing pin protrusion measurement is supposed be (.030", maybe?), you may want to check it - expecially if it turns out that the other barrel doesn't punch 'em through like that.

Kiv

6. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I just checked a couple dozen recently removed primers from last weekends shooting. My Cheddites dimples are about half that deep. I shoot a Browning Special Trap (some days more special than others).

I have had a problem with Win primers not touching off occasionally, so my Browning lower barrel even with the new longer Browning firing pin doesn't strike that far. Thousands of Cheddites though, with no problems.
    I'm thinking one of you P-gun or K-gun guys should trade with me on my Browning, so you can save money on primers by using the economical Cheddites.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Jeff

7. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll hold onto the P-Gun. The firing pin is brand new and actually did make a bit deeper dent than the previous pin. One thing about the DB-81, no such thing as a light strike. I am switching back to the Winchester and Fiocchi brand.

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I've used tens of thousands of them in my KX-5 and K-80 without a pierced primer. Not one. Yet I know guys who have had pierced Cheddite primers in their K guns. One of the gunsmiths at KI even warned me about Cheddites the last time I was in Ottsville. I told him that's all I've used for years, except one year I used RIOs. Never pierced one of them either.

Now either I'm incredibly lucky or something else is going on. If I had to guess, I'd look at some difference involving gun and/or reload. My K guns are serviced at Ottsville, so I assume the pin protrusion is within spec. My reloads are kept below 10,000 psi, just this year I switched from a Solo reload to Green Dot. Primers are seated just ever so slightly below flush.

But I don't have an answer, and haven't seen a plausible explanation, much less a definitive solution with solid proof.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gary, just for grins n giggles, what kind of loader do you use? I ask because I've loaded several sleeves of Cheddites , shot them through 4 different trap guns without a pierced primer as you posted. A Browning Lightning O/U, TM-1, MX-3 Special and a Beretta 303. I haven't loaded any of the HS AAs though, old compression formed AAs and STS hulls are my mainstays. Even a few hundred Federal GMs in the mix too and all worked flawless.

Hap

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I have run a couple thou thru my TM1 with no problem. A couple of shooters with Silver S guns at the club shoot them as well with no problem.

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

How old are your Cheddites? I read somewhere that early on they had a run with un-acceptably soft material for the cap, and then corrected that.

12. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Loaded on a MEC 9000g and the primers were bought in August.

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

This is nothing new. I first encountered this problem with my Perazzi in 2000 when I was shooting new factory ammo loaded with Cheddite primers. I reload with Noble sports and have never had the problem.

Dump the junk

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

When you decide to "dump your junk", dump it my way. I have loaded thousands of Cheddites on Ljutics, Perrazis, Brownings, Remingtons and Krieghoffs and have never had a pierced primer. Just luck I guess considering how junky they are. LOL

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There is a fine line on a Perazzi and Cheddite primers.. Giacomo hated them.. A DB81 is no different that any other Perazzi receiver..If you have good strong hammer springs.. they all hit the same.. Check firing pin length and make sure the end has a full radius on it.. A Dremel tool and a extra fine stone can round it a little more if needed.. I have had a similar problem with B&P 1 oz. shells.. a few in every box punched thru.. Fiocchi and Nobel have never given me any problems..

I suspect the anvil in the cheddite is very small and strong.. and well centered.. On my guns that don't hit dead center.. I've never had a problem with Cheddite.. With all that being said.. It's easier not to use them..

16. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I load all my Gun Club and Black Rem. hulls with Cheddites and never had a single 1 pierce in about 10000.I have had maybe 5 not go off.I shoot a BT 100,Model 12 and a 302.

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have loaded many Cheddite primers. No problems here.

18. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I have heard this same thing over and over on Trapshooters .... All I can say is I quit using them in my K80 because of the same problem .... What is the reason these guys continue to defend them .... if you have a problem eliminate the problem .... don't use them .... if they don't have the problem they can use all they want .... it's a free country .... we are all big boys and girls on here .... so why try and defend something that another person has a problem with .... and with that I will shut up

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cheddite primers seem to work well in some guns but cause problems in other guns. Several brands of discount shells work well in some guns but cause ejection problems in other guns.

For me, the solution is simple. If something does not work well for either me or my gun, I change to something else.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.