1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite Primers and Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

In researching for a replacement primer for the WW209 or Rem 209, I looked up powder manufacturer's recommendations using the Cheddite 209 primer and Clays or Clay Dot...my powders of choice. Very limited applications. A 1145 fps 1 1/8th oz. load (STS/Fig8) pushes 10400 PSI using 17.2 gr. of Clays...I like a little hotter load. I guess the Cheddite primer is not an optimal choice for Clays/Clay Dot? Anyone have experience with this combination?

WNCRob

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The point is simple. Clays and Clay Dot might not be the best choice for hotter loads with 1 1/8 oz of shot in tapered hulls. 1145 fps is about the limit in most shells, unless you are willing to accept higher pressures. I use a different powder for 1 1/8 oz loads over 1145 fps. The exception to this is the Federal Gold Medal and similar hulls. That is where Clays works well over a broader range of loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheddite and clay dot loads

cheddite hulls clays
clay dot loads for cheddite hulls