1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite load data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Where can I find load data for cheddite primers. I use Win and Rem 209p. Are they hotter, the same or colder.
    Thanks in advance

2. chourico

chourico TS Member

I changed to cheddite primers last year because of price savings and dont regret it one bit.I use everything the same and they work awsome never had a bad primer from them.Good product at a good price at the place i buy my supplies cheddite-$125 winchester-$169 easy decision.

3. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

I was told to use Winchester primer info as the same GAZ

4. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Call or email the powder company you are using and ask them.

Here is what I do. Take it for what it is worth.
    Unless there is published data for them, I use the WW 209 data and have not had any problems. I'd say if you are loading in the low to mid range of the published load for WW209s you are probably safe.

5. AEP

AEP Member

I called Alliant. They said Cheddites were the same as Win 209. Accroding to my chronograph Cheddites and Winchester are the same.

Andy P

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I've loaded near 200k Cheddites using WW209 data. No issues.

Buz

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cheddites are not the same as any other primer. They may be "close" to the Winchester in many loads. Select a load with a low enough pressure (8000 - 8500 PSI) and you should have enough headroom to allow for a significant increase in pressures. Alliant and Hidgdon do have some loads listed for the Cheddite primers. There are actually three different Cheddite shotshell primers listed by the manufacturer. The most common are the CX2000 here. I've seen others over the years. Contact the powder manufacturers for their advice.

Checking them over a chronograph does absolutely nothing to tell you about pressures. You can have an increase in pressures and a drop in velocity.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I, also, have loaded many shells, maybe 100,000 with Cheddites using WW209 data and saw that there MAY be a very slight increase in "average" velocity over the Oehler chronograph with them. That difference, however, was within the velocity of individual shots with WW209s. At that time, I used Winchesters and Cheddites without any changes in loading recipes......breakemall

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Glad to see others reloading Cheddites with great success. I've used them as a direct replacement for the Winchester 209's. I've only reloaded about 3500 up to this point. No problems or issues. I love the way they feed in my MEC Presses. I'm not gonna stop buying or using Wins but, I'm gonna continue to use the Cheddites also.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I am on my 3rd sleeve of Cheddites! Work just fine!

On the other hand, out of curiosity I tried Wolf 209s. Luckily I only bought 1000!

They are HARD! one or 2 out of every box takes 2 hits to fire. I am using them for practice and club shoots!

11. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

When I first started using Cheddites and there were no recipes around, I contacted them and they said cheddites were very close to Win 209's. I mainly use Green Dot and they recommended using the Win recipe for Green Dot but reduce the powder by .5 grain. It's worked well back to the 27. For years I've heard all the comments about being off sized, etc., but they are not and are very smooth and feed better for me than most others. They are thinner so you never get hard primers, but they will burn through on light 12 loads and 410's. RM

12. johnpe

johnpe Member

I bought 5000 Cheddite primers because of the price and am down to the last 100. I'll be glad when they are gone!!! I will NOT buy them again. The primers go bang when the trigger is pulled and the loads perform well. However, the lot I bought are 0.002" larger than either Remington or Winchester right under the flange. This has causeds some loading problems which are real headaches. As long as you are loading hulls with real brass heads, such as AA or STS, and don't do any primer substitution, there are no problems. However, just don't go back to an American primer. Every now and then the smaller primer will just fall out; sometimes while you are loading and other times when you take them out of the box. The shells with the American substitutions do seem to work OK in O/U or S/S shotguns, but not in automatics where residual pressure or bolt movement to the rear will often send a spent primer back into the workings of the gun and tie it up. The other problem is that most hulls, especially the Remington Field hulls now use a steel or brass plated steel head. I've had problems with getting Cheddite primers to completly seat when there is no issue with either Remington or Winchester primers. Obviously, the seating can be adjusted, but it always happens right after I've been loading AA or STS hulls with American primers and I forget to make the change. To me the aggravation does not equal the difference in price.

Johnpe

13. Bullet Thrower

Bullet Thrower Member

Bertmuss,
    Can you describe what you mean by "burn through" ..

Reason I ask ?
    I am using Cheddites in my STS's 12ga 18gr Promo 1 oz and it seems I am not getting the mileage outta the hulls other folks report. I inventory my hulls by number of times fired and am noticing some dark (burn't lookin') crimp petal areas, after 3 times reloaded, with a few splits already. Other folks report loading STS's 6 - 10 times. Just wondering if this is a component problem or just normal for that mileage.

BT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheddite 410 hull reloading data

cheddite hull load data

cheddite hull reloading data

cheddite hulls reloading data

cheddite load data

cheddite plastic hull loading data

cheddite reloading data

trap load data