1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheddite dimensions?......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Win 209

At flash hole end: .235

At flange end: .239

Cheddite 209:

At flash hole end: .240

At flange end: .242

Thats with a set of lyman dial calipers. Maybe someone has something that can get a little more accurate than I can.

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Every one that I measured has been identical to the Win 209's that I *used* to use.

Kiv

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Honestly couldn't tell you. I load name brand primers for competition (using Wins right now), then I'm currently loading cheddites for practice, until its time to throw the hulls away, so it really doesn't make a difference for me...

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have loaded Winchester primers into hulls that have had Cheddite and/or Fiocci primers without any falling out!

If I can get a deal on Winchester primers ... I buy them ... if not I buy Cheddite or Fiocci primers.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]<br><I>Charts from "Trapshooting USA" Magazine Issue #4</I></center>

MK

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Cheddite CX-2000 is within a thousandth or so of the Winchester 209, as far as maximum diameter is concerned. The Winchester has a "stepped" profile and the Cheddite is a very slight taper. I have never had an issue between those two primers enlarging primer pockets. Different lots of primers may vary in dimentions almost as much as any difference between manufacturers. The Rio primer is generally the largest diameter, Fiocchi seems to have less taper, etc.

7. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

APrice,
    Just use them the last time you plan to reload the hull and pitch them. Then you won't have to worry about the size.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

APrice

There are currently three different Cheddite "209" primers manufactured for shotshells. The most common is the CX-2000. There are two others, but they are seldom imported. I'm not sure which one, but there was a Cheddite primer I had obtained years ago that were oversized, similar to the Rio. Here's the current info from Cheddite themselves. Cheddite Primers

The Cheddites I have on hand are recent manufacture and have the CX-2000 designation printed on the back of the package. I can't remember the older ones having anything other than the 209 designation. They had a "Black" colored end, if I recall correctly. The CX-2000 have a "Red" colored end by the flash hole.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I say the same thing everytime somebody brings this up.

The concern is justified - I can see that you wouldn't want to permanently enlarge a primer pocket on a good hull, nor would you want to LOCK yourself into a certain primer if you expanded the pockets - you might not be able to get them, whatever...lots of potential problems there.

But for god's sake, fellas...they stamp these out on a machine by the billions!!! And they sell them for THREE cents each.

You're asking for an awful lot of precision, if you ask me.

Sure...if you get a BIG Cheddite, and put it in a hull, and the next time that hulls happens to be loaded with a Winchester that happens to be SMALL, sure anything could happen.

10. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Just load 100 of your good hulls the Cheddites until thet are no longer loadable. If you have a lot of Cheddites left use another 100 good hulls. This way you won't take a chance of stretching your primer pockets on all your good hulls

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"MK, that's pretty official looking. Where did you get the charts?"</I></blockquote>

They are in the online issue #4 of Trapshooting USA Magazine, page 50, article entitled "Primer Differences" by Tom Cerreto.

Change the number in the page counter from "1" to "50" and click the blue arrow.

MK

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I must do some confessin' about Cheddites. In the past several years, I've mentioned many times on this forum that I'd shot Winchester and Cheddite primers interchangeably for up to at least 100,000 of them without ever having an issue in break open and auto loading guns; back and forth and forth and back. This was mostly done in the 80s and 90s. Were they different than today???

There came a time, however, listening to all the complaints about Cheddites that I took to the calipers and did some comparisons of my own finding that the alleged roundness of the primers, whether Winchester of Cheddite, was not precise and measurements depended on where on the tube you measured. I found the Cheddites were more straight with a sharper shoulder at the flash hole end than the Winchester which had a bit of taper from end to end and a more rounded shoulder. That alone explained the occasional "snap" when seating Cheddites which never stopped me but it did aim me to using Winchester primers any time they were available instead of Cheddites.

Then the last two sleeves of Cheddites I bought, both in the 2003/10 era, were troublesome in seating often enough for me to sell the remainders and return to Winchesters with both sleeves. I still, however, replace spent Cheddites with new Winchester primers without any problem with their falling out or creating a problem. With the current price of Winchester primers I'll be trying others. A fellow could buy a couple of bags of shot for the difference in some......breakemall......Bob Dodd

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Then there's this. Checking the data submitted by Unknown1, it would seem that the cheddites aren't all that much different than the Winchester - maybe thousanths difference in measurements could relate to being "oversize" and "stretching" primer pockets. - 2 thousanths bigger at point A and smaller than Winchesters at measurement point C - So, how does such miniscule difference, less than others on the list "stretch primer pockets"?

Thinking back at the problems I had at more recent usage of Cheddites, it could well be caused by the rather sharp shoulder on the them where the primer enters the pocket instead of rounded and tapered like most others. The Cheddite is longer in length on the chart above but I doubt that has any bearing. Nuff Said

14. JTEA

JTEA Member

I tried swapping back and forth a few years ago in hulls being loaded for the 3rd or 4th time. AA's sizes would sometimes fall out after the Cheddites were used.

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

compare diameter cheddite winchester primer

diameter of cheddite 209 primer

dimensions of cheditte primers