1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHECKING TARGET ANGLES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Does anyone have an easy method for checking target angles, I have looked in the ATA rules book and it looks like you have to be an engineer to figure them out. Some of us think our local gun clubs are to wide and would like to check them. Thanks in advance

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

There ya go, no degree needed. John

3. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Easiest way is get a rope 150 ft. long and tie it to front center arm of machine. Stand at end of rope with the line tight and directly lined up with station 3. Place the center stake at this location. Next step, attach a tape measure that goes up to 45 ft. or use another 45 ft. rope and attach one end to this stake. Now walk to the point where both ropes are tight and straight and place a stake, do the same for the other side of center. Now you have the correctly placed stakes for judging angles, you can paint them whatever color makes them easy to distinguish from their environment.

Hope this helps,

Mr. Mark Sheets

P.S. I used a laser range-finder to find my 50 yd. center stake and then used a 100 ft. tape attached to this stake and walk 45 feet to either side and then maintain a 50 yd. distance from the trap house to place my stakes.

4. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Easiest way is get a rope 150 ft. long and tie it to front center arm of machine. Stand at end of rope with the line tight and directly lined up with station 3. Place the center stake at this location. Next step, attach a tape measure that goes up to 45 ft. or use another 45 ft. rope and attach one end to this stake. Now walk to the point where both ropes are tight and straight and place a stake, do the same for the other side of center. Now you have the correctly placed stakes for judging angles, you can paint them whatever color makes them easy to distinguish from their environment.

Hope this helps,

Mr. Mark Sheets

P.S. I used a laser range-finder to find my 50 yd. center stake and then used a 100 ft. tape attached to this stake and walk 45 feet to either side and then maintain a 50 yd. distance from the trap house to place my stakes.

5. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Why worry about it. It take a pretty wide angle for it to be an illegal target.
    Sonny

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

kolar Dan,,, not really.

7. smp005

smp005 Member

We set our initial stakes with a transit.

Scott Powell

Copley Trap Range

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The problem with making the angles to easy for most to see and figure that its an illegal target makes for good mind games with the shooters ... If you do as Jerry B. suggests you will be close enough for piece work which is all that should really matter if they are looking for the target and not looking to see if its legal or not ... Set a good 50 yard legal target and go from there ... If anyone lets them go that far before they shoot them they won't know the difference between legal and illegal anyway ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you set angle stakes as described above, I believe you are asking for a lot of complaints. If a stake is placed at 50 yards from "point B" in a straight line from a point mid way between posts 1 and 2, a good right hand target should always land well to outside of the steak.

Angles are measured as they leave the trap, not where they land. Because of target spin, the right hand angles will naturally curve quite a bit to the right.

Jerry B. gave the best answer in the first response to this question. Stand between 1 and two and look at the birds as they leave the house. Then do the same thing between 4 and 5. I do this while squads are shooting singles. I stand on or near the 27 yard line and look at 75-90 targets from each point. Also, when I am shooting on 1 and 5, I look at all of the targets thrown by my squad and make sure that all of the targets leave the trap a little less than a straight away from these posts.

Pat Ireland

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Zardozforty- I always preferred to tie a cow 50 yards in front of the trap and call it the 50 yard steak. (or I may have used the wrong homonym)

Pat Ireland

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Zardoz- Grits are popular in the back woods of Kentucky, but they are not held in high esteem by Gentlemen in Virginia. We would much prefer a low country boil and chitterlings.

Pat Ireland

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Did your Granny raise her own mediams back there on the farm, Jerry?

\Neil

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No, no, Hairy. The birds Jerry's Granny raised were a special specie which were originally called "Ams" but then people noticed their call seemed to say "Me de Ams!" and so that's what the name came to be.

They look a lot like hens, but the plumage is brighter and more abundant, making them particularly attractive to milliners and fly-tiers. Their eggs, as Jerry infers, remain in high demand by gourmets, though substitution ( just aigs) , common enough in roadside diners with neon signs demanding "EAT," is but seldom detected, particularly in the South where you will find omelettes promising "three mediam eggs" about half the time.

Neil

14. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

Tell ur club members to shut up and stop complaining abot the targets good shooters will shoot anything that u give them.

Steven

PS just kidding

15. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

We just checked our La Port Traps at our gun club by using a Masons line from the center of the trap,made a mark of center on top of trap house. Drew two lines 22Degrees from that center for a total of 44Degees. Take the masons line to fifty yard stake then keeping the line tight walk an arc from the center line and stop when you are at the 22 d mark on top of trap house drive a stake let then right any target outside those stakes is wide any target inside of 34d is to narrow. Real simple. We had a big argument that our LaPorts were well out side the limits in the two hole Now we know for sure and the stakes are there to prove it to anyone who wants to take the Time to walk out a question it. Sgt York Logan County Fish and Game Bellefontaine Ohio

16. twostraight

twostraight Member

If you check the ata rule book, I think you will find a two hole target is 17 degrees each side of center. (page 48) This equates to a straight away target at 3 1/2' right of post 1 and 3 1/2' left of post 5.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sargentyork- Don't forget that on a calm day the birds will curve several feet to the right. The angle the targets leave the trap is not the same angle from the trap to where they land.

Pat Ireland

18. TrapTech

TrapTech TS Member

Hi all,

You should have been here in the UK when they changed the target rules for DTL which is approximately equivalent to your 16 yard ATA.

Some grounds had been "massaging" the target angles to get more shooters there and therefore more perfect scores

This in turn seriously pissed off the grounds who were throwing full angle targets but were getting lower entries, but still comparable high scores.

As of January 2007 the CPSA decreed that all target must now be hooped between 8 and 10 feet (average 9 foot target) at 10 yards from the trap. PLUS the targets must also be hooped at the left and right angles, i.e. 22 degree left of centre and 22 degree right of centre approximately.

I asked one of the biggest grounds here where we had supplied 12 Laporte TALB machines if the shooters had noticed any difference, the reply came "nah, they just can't understand why they're not hitting as many as they used to!!!"

Simple problem, solved equally as simple by a nice tweak of the set-up regulations.

Laporte traps have to be Hole #3 for a legal target here, same as the old Winchester hole as they were designed to be a direct replacement.

Andy Herrett

Laporte UK Trap Technician

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap target angles