1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking quality of patterns, by Neil Winston

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

This quote by Neil Winston got my attention:

"If you are trying to find out _how_ it shoots, you are pretty safe just assuming it shoots OK and leaving it at that. Really finding out the "quality" of its patterns is more work than it's worth and, generally, you can't find out anyway."

I'd like to know more.

2. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think Neil does give lessons on how to get the infomation. His rates are rather steep but the knowledge gained is invaluable. Of course you could get it for free by searching the numerous postings Neil has put up on the subject.

Jim c

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I thought this would have generated more interest.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nope. Informations already out there...

And your using a topwater plug when you need to be running a deepdiver..

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BigM - Please point me toward that information.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The question is, what "quality" are you looking for? For long-yardage handicap, I think Andrew and I are united in thinking that more pellets in the inner 10 inches is best and that's all you need to look at since if that's right then everything else will fall into place (to the extent it ever will.)

But that if you are looking for the "evenness" so many tout?

1. You won't find it. Not when you count the holes. It's common for the inner 20 inches to be twice as dense, pellet-wise, as the outer part and still it looks pretty even. You can't tell, that's all.

2. The standard measures of evenness like the NRA's central thickening vary so much, pattern-to-pattern, I can't get much mileage from that either. Here's why. The pellets in the various areas of any individual pattern can change from a lot to a few and back to a lot on just three consecutive examples.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> spd1112inshotorder.gif </a>

Even then you organize them according to one characteristic, in this case overall pattern percentage, the inner parts are all a jumble.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> spdnodifference11301230.gif </a>

If one of these patterns is "even" then what are the others, since the pellet-distributions in them are so different?

Neil

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Thanks Neil. That was what I was looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.