1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHECKING POWDER SCALE ACCURACY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

What items can I use to check my beam scales, coins ect. Also whats a good digital and beam scale to use??
    Railroad

2. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

They actually sale weights to check your powder scale. I think I purchased mine from precision loading. Josh

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

To check your scales, get some new dimes. They are 35 grains each.

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

What about using Full Metal Jacket Bullets... for checking scale weights

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I found a small brass die at a hobby store, I brought it to 3 pharmacy's in my area. Had them weight it. it came out to 1.001 1.0003 1.0038 on their scales. I brought it home and it came out to 1.003 oz on my scale. The check weights can be purchased also.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Usually, quality retail rifle bullets are quite close to the exact weights, especially the "Match" ones. Military stuff is all over the place, so don't try them to check a scale. I have a couple of sets of check weights. One is from Lyman and I believe the other is an older set from Ohaus. I use the Lyman set often, to double check all of my scales on occasion.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Years ago when I got a new Hornaday scale, I went to a local scale company, Toledo Scale, who specializes in calibrating scales for factories, hospitals,etc. Gave them a new dime and quarter. Dime was 34.65 grains, quarter was 84.95 grains. Didn't cost anything, they were happy to do it. Wayne

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rifle bullets work fine. If you don't have any I'm sure someone at your club has a few you can have. If not I'll send you some.

HM

9. 97STR

97STR TS Member

Lyman sells a set of check weights around $5.00 most mail order outfits carry them. They are very accurate and allow smaller weight checks, 1-5 grain and 10-20 increments.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have an assortment of jacketed bullets that I use for check weights and use the one closest to my intended powder charge weight. For most shotgun charges I use a 25 grain .17 cal bullet for the check. The dime idea sounds good too.

11. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I checked a 2006 dime,it was 35.0, a new PENN quarter was 86.0 on my lee scale. Still looking to get another scale.
    Thanks
    Railroad

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I too have always used jacketed bullets to check my scales.

I don't think being off by .1 or .2 grains is going to matter much. I do not load anything to maximum.

Don Verna

13. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

As usual, I agree with Quack Shot. #1,It's a good idea to have a set of check weights. As a second choice, use a good brand,such as Berger,target bullets. They are usually right on the money. This includes most brands of target bullets.
    Joe Jordan

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Either you know or you dont. Get a weight check set , less than $30.Lyman Shooter's Weight Check SetProduct #: 212586Status: AvailableOur Price:$24.99 from midway. Jeff

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I find it difficult to suggest using bullets to check your scale. Other than custom benchrest bullets, Most manufactures have a tolerence of + or- .3 to.5 grains from the advertised weight. I worked for a company that makes some of the best match bullets and they were + or - .3 grains.

Jim

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I ordered a hornady digital scale today, with some Lyman test weights from Midway. Still keep my Lee to double check. Thanks for all the help. I will know soon about the Promo recipe,I been using. Will udate when I get the scales.
    Railroad

17. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I was at the Post Office today and while at the counter I ask if her if she would weigh my dime. She did and said it weighs 10 ounces. I said 10 OUNCES?

She replied 10 ounces.

Hummmm

I said thank you and left.

Arnie

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I thought it was interesting that some of you use bullets for checking weights. So I checked some .223 I got laying around:

A 50 gr. Sierra Spitzer weighed 50.1

55 gr. Hornady SPSX weighted 55.0

55 gr. IMI weighted 54.6 (figures they would be light)

62 gr Speer weighted 62.6

77 gr Sierra Match weighted 77.2

75 gr. Hornaday Match weighted 75.1

Its been raining today, Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.