1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking powder bushing PW reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

On my PW, I just lift the pin that holds the die in place and take the charged shell over to my scale and dump in the powder or shot. If you do not have removable dies, you can leave one die empty and put in a 20 ga shell when the empty die passes under the powder or shot drop tube. Take the 20 ga shell out and dump the contents into your scale.

Pat Ireland

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Or you can call PW and buy a powder drop check tube. Slip the tube over the powder drop tube and catch the charge in the tube as it goes into the hull, remove the tube as the machine cycles, weigh the charge and then dump the powder into the hull from your scale pan before cycling the loader to the next hull.

MK

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The "UNLOADER" HAS A NEAT FIX FOR THAT

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

Unknown1 has the answer.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Unknown has the correct way to do it.

6. Gary M

Gary M TS Member

Unknown does have the right method but don't try to weigh shot drop this way. It will mess up the lip of the plastic cup.

Gary M

7. Unknown1

If you are going to measure shot drop, do it into a hull that has no powder or wad in it so the tube can go as far down as it needs to.

What I have done is use several 1/8" x 3/8" pieces of aluminum HVAC foil tape, one on top of the next and laid over the top of the cup and a short way down the inside, to build a small bump that serves to keep the cup on either the shot or powder drop tubes so that the tube doesn't have to be held or guided into position over the drop tube.

The cup is slipped onto the tube where the tape bump causes it to stay while it's cycled through the hull.

MK

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Yes Gary. I did that too!

Pat, I use your method to check drops every 150-200 rounds or so. I have forgotten to put the powder back into the hull and see the little pile of Promo sitting on the scale when I do the next check. I then must weigh the half bucket (or more) of "loaded" shells to find the one I messed up.

I am lucky to have an electronic scale to make the job easier.

Don Verna

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

Thank God I'm not alone, Don.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Whiz modified my rack gear so I can cycle the powder and shot drops without cycling the whole machine. It works great. The pin on the rack gear is removable and I manually slide it to get the drop. I check the drops every time I change gauges on my 800+. Billy

11. Unknown1

That sounds like a good idea but the vibrations and motions created by the operator cycling the machine have an effect on the weight of the powder drop. Seems counter-productive to remove important influences from the process and then expect accurate results.

If you just want to spot check a selection of bushings to select one that's close to what you want, it might work well. Otherwise, no.

MK

12. Unknown1

Yes, that's how the process I described is done except that the powder is intercepted by the measuring cup before it gets into the hull. It's weighed and replaced in the hull and the loading process continues.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Use one of these.

They slip up, over either powder or shot drop tubes, and as you pull the handle the red plastic cup catches either the shot or powder.

Pour into your measure, weight it, then use the red funnel to return it back to its hull and go on reloading.

[​IMG]

Whiz White

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I just cut open some of my loaded shells and weigh the power and shot then return it to the hopper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.