1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking POI with a slug?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've been playing with this idea. Why not? Wouldn't it give you a true pin-point accurate measure of the guns POI? Yeah, I'm sure that most club couldn't allow this practice at their patterning board, but all that aside, it's an interesting method.

Your thoughts please!

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think you will have a hard time loading a slug down to ATA shell levels, and the ballistic coefficient of a shot cloud and a slug are different.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Slow morning Tron? LOL, I don't want the recoil of the slug to begin with. Neil's 13 yd doesn't make a hole much larger than a slug anyway. Unless you forgot to put your choke tube in. I'd rather not explain how I know this, but you can take my word for it and take that to the bank. Yes, I'm goofing off too and better go do something productive, Uncle needs the money.

Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It is an interesting thought. If you used the lightest sabot slug on a solid rest it would at least resolve concern about windage issues. As for vertical POI, it would seem to be of no value. thanks .....mike

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I think it would be a good idea, if and only if, the slug prints in the center of the shot pattern. If you try it, I'd suggest the Federal Truball as it is about the only one other than the original Brenneke, that is designed for smoothbores and might fit tight enough in the bore to shoot close to poi. Most typical slugs, Foster type, are too loose to have any chance of leaving the muzzle in any kind of uniform manner. Sabot slugs don't do well from a smoothbore, the pricey Hornady SSTs keyholing from my 11-87 smoothbore slug barrel and varying as much as 12 inches shot to shot at 50 yards.

Good luck. I think a laser might be better and easier on the shoulder.

6. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I would think it may have a distinct "dong" when it imprints itself on the metal.

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I had the same idea as you Tron. POI my gun with slugs. My Stock Maker said no way. Different ballistics. Never work. Dave T.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tron, learn all you can about slug shooting and loading them properly. Some states require slugs only for big game hunting. What you'll find with slugs is how straight, true your barrel is and shoots, how high it will throw a charge of shot in addition. As said above, the ballistics are too varied to make many other comparisons even when loaded to the same velocities and weight. Smoothbore slugs have always worked better for me out of a mod. choked gun (foster type) while sabots won't. All the experts say use a cyl. bore, not so in my experiments with Foster type slugs. A 1200 FPS 1-1/4 oz slug will drop the same as a 1-1/4 ounce shot charge when figured from the bore centers and measured to centers of POI at 40 yards. Use large shot for ease of determining pattern center, small shot will follow that same center but tougher to measure because of fliers. I started my testing at 40 yards from a solid rifle rest, not 10, 13 or 16 with slugs. Hap

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tron,

I thought the same thing for shell speed through a chono. I never tried to see if it would work though.

ec90t

10. RAScott

RAScott Member

I was just thinking slug in a choked barrell ??? hey, lets get trappy he'll do it. HE"LL DO ANYTHING!!! Bob S

11. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I've poured melted wax into a load of #4s or 6s (whichever on hand at the time) and let cool. It keeps the pellets together enough to get an idea of POI. Its a good idea to weigh a sample shot/wax batch to get 1 1/8 ounces, otherwise you can get an overload. An old time told me this but he used Crisco or lard but its a greasy mess to deal with. Be sure and clean the bore good before using the gun afterward.
    Dick C.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

years ago dick benett previous owner of the big muskego gun club who was a very good and knowledable shooter and club owner said that is the best way to get a true poi. problem is most gun clubs i know won't allow you to shoot slugs.
    steve balistreri

13. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Tron...Only shoot slugs if you have a release trigger, so you can get used to the noise as well as find out that sluge kick like He--...

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Looks like Tron is doing what he does best....lol

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

15. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

I've done it quite a bit in training with tactical shotguns loaded with buckshot and slugs. With the slug you can determine poi which was important as some remington 870s had the bead sitting on the barrel which made them shoot very high and some on a pedestal which made them shoot pretty close. You couldn't get anywhere trying to determine poi with 00 buckshot and a cyl bore.

If I were to do it with a sporting shotgun I would use the new low recoil slugs as the velocity would be close and a mod choke, but I have seen them shot thru a full just would hate to test that on an expensive barrel.

16. 3357

3357 Member

I have thought about this too. Although I have not done it (yet) I think an appropriately sized round ball (.69 ??) in a conventional plastic wad would work well. Would need to weigh the ball once correct size is determined then load according to weight of payload. I think this would work especially well at 13 yards. Jess

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

This is wrong and won't work for so many reasons. For one every diffrent load impacts to a diffrennt location. Any one who has shot rifles knows this.

Recoil won't be consistant with that of targeet loads.

Much more dangerous.

But what would I know! Just my oppinion after shooting at pattern plates for around 30 years.

18. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Well if you load a 1oz slug to the same velocity as your trap loads the poi should be pretty dam close. Recoil is going to be the same the only difference is the bc of the slug vesus the bc of the pellets or the pellets in a group which probably don't amount to much. What would be the point of using it at 13 yds, theres no problem there with shot loads in seeing where the load is shooting. The real advantage will be out there where the birds are shot say 40 yds or so.

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'm no gunfitter but the various shot loads out of my Sporting Clays guns seem to all shoot to the same point. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to break every thing from 60 yard crossers to in-your-face stuff with anything I stick in the gun.

I've noticed no similarity to the way a rifle shoots different loads to different impact points. That said, a rifle will shoot all loads within a couple inches at shotgun ranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal truball slugs poi

smoothbore slug poi