1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking in a Gun on the Airlines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Since I relocated to Fort Wayne and no longer live in the South and driving distance to Silver Dollar, I'm thinking about flying to Clearwater. Does anyone out there know what I'll have to do to check in the K-80 on Delta? C U all at the Dixie.

John G.

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

locking HARD (read metal) case is better.....

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

and be prepared to pay for it to go with you.

bill

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hey, John.

What Fred said. The longer version is to make sure that there is no ammo in the gun case (too expensive to fly that anyway, because of the weight), and that the gun is broken down in the case and unlocked when you arrive at ticketing.

The ticketing counter will open it for inspection, then will ask you to sign a declaration, which they will put inside the case. Then you lock it up, and the ticketing agent will send the gun to TSA, and you will be asked to wait in the area for 10 minutes in case TSA needs you to open the case (that has happened to me only once). After that, you will be able to go to the gate and board your aircraft.

You might have to pay an extra luggage charge if you also have a suitcase. If your case is large or heavy, you might have to pay extra for that, too.

Some airlines will hold your case for pick up, and you will have to go to their baggage claim office with an i.d. and your luggage receipt to pick up your gun. Many will just put it on the carousel with all the other luggage, or it will come out of the chute where the oversized luggage (like skis and strollers) is deposited.

Two things of which to be aware: 1. Get off the plane and get to baggage claim right away. Don't give someone else the chance to pick up your gun if it is on the carousel. 2. If you have a transfer (not a straight through flight), and your connection is screwed up, MAKE SURE that your gun flies WITH YOU on your new connection. Don't let the airline fly your gun ahead or behind on a different flight. Complain loudly if they suggest this, and let them know that it is agains ATF law, and that you will call the ATF and report them otherwise.

5. justinb

justinb TS Member

I recently purchased a bigsky case cover for my k80 case from bigskycasecovers.com I believe. This is way nice for flying. Also just to let you know when I flew to the Grand last summer the airline did not offer any insurance on firearms. Mine arrived just fine but thats a little scary, you may want to consider alternative insurance.

6. Customstox

Customstox Member

There are no federal regulations about transporting ammo in the same case as the firearm. However some airlines will not allow it, but most will. Check on your airlines web site for ammo. Ammo has to be either in original boxes or plastic boxes built for carrying ammo. It can not be loose or in plastic bags. Most airlines will only allow 5 kilograms of ammo = 11 pounds.

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Smart money will buy a big duffle bag with a compartment for the gun case in the bottom. If it doesn't look like a gun case, the theives won't steal it. Weight limits are 50# per bag, so a combo in an Americase won't leave much availability for clothes. It's worth the overweight charge to conceal the guncase. It has to be a hardcase and lockable, and if you can't fit it into your duffle, cover it with something to conceal the fact that it's a gun. Another alternative is to ship it separately ahead, and ship it back when you're done, less BS at the airport!

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I forgot to add that your gun should be insured on your Homeowner's policy or someone else other than the airlines.

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem buying the additional insurance to cover the gun when I fly. But you really have to did the info out. They will first tell you that there is no insurance available, but there is, at least for Southwest...call ahead and do your homework before you arrive at the airport. the ticket agents don't want to spend time and will just tell you NO WAY

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have only flown twice with a shotgun. No problem either time. I did have to drop off my gun in a locked case separately from my other luggage and pick it up separately. Last time was with Alaska Airlines. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. I didn't bring ammo but bought it there. Go online first and check out your airlines rules.

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

I fly with my Perazzi 3-4 times a year. Little problem. Go to the TSA website and read the rules covering firearms. The big deal is a good case (I use a RHino) and a good lock. You must lock it and retain the key. This is TSA Rules. All Airlines will sell you extra baggage insurance up to $5000 max. I always do it and hold on to the receipt so they next clerk who says no has something to do the paperwork by. I have the Southwest people trained locally. They see me coming and get out the paperwork. With Southwest the extra insurance means I have to go and claim it from them. I have found this true with American and sometimes Delta.

One other thing.... don't get nervous and run your mouth at the ticket counter. I know you are turning your 'baby' over to someone else but work with them and don't act like some idiot and things will be alright. Also don't be cute and not declare it and just put the gun in your suitcase. You do that and you will end up missing your trip and in jai. Its a federal offense not to declare the gun.

Just relax and you will have a safe trip.

Tom

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

Have you guys noticed some of the strange looks you get when you start opening up a gun case at the counter? Or when your riding an elevator to your room and someone asks what is in the case? If feel like a Martian at times. But I just smile and explain I'm a competitive shooter(at times) and I'm traveling to or from a shoot and this seems to calm their nerves. Times sure have changed.

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

thanks for the info/advise. on to the dixie grand I'll go.

14. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

I work for TV and fly alot with my gun. I've had no problem with flying, but I would go straight to baggage claim. They are supposed to see your ID before releasing the gun. They get real "iffy" when you fly with ammo, so just buy ammo at the shoot or have it dropped shipped to a friends house, maybe some hotel will let you (who knows??). When I fly US Air you sign that no ammo is allowed in the gun case. A good case and extra insurance is smart, I carry extra insurance from a outside company!!! 95% replacement value, gun, chokes and gun case...HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.