1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking Gun's "History"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GordonWood421, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Checking Gun

Many years ago , I bought a Browning CITORI at a local gun show - - - this was back before regulations "tightened up" . Unfortunately , I didn't worry about whether the gun was "hot" or not - - - my mistake .

Now my concern is what might happen if I sell the gun to an out-of-state buyer and if his FFL receiver should encounter a problem with the gun's legality .

MY QUESTION : Is there some way I can check to see if this gun might have been reported as stolen before I acquired it .

I understand that it could be sold FTF without an FFL licensee having to call in the standard "verification" - - - but I really don't want to burden someone else with "my" problem .

Any assistance ?

Charlie

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Checking Gun's

I would think "due dillegence" would be the best you could offer.

Eric

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Checking Gun's

I would think that if the gun was in fact stolen and you bought it face to face the worse that can happen is that it would get confiscated and your out some money. I don't believe anyone owning a Citori for several years that is as common as a blade of grass would be going to prison for it. How could they prove it?
    Why would you think it was stolen in the first place?

Just keep it.

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Checking Gun's

Thanks for the replies ! !

I have a "witnessed" bill of sale from the previous owner - - so I don't think I would be prosecuted for receiving stolen merchandise but I would hate to sell the gun to someone and have some issue arise when he is "anxiously" waiting to get his hands on a cherry CITORI .

MY concern is primarily that before too long (I'm 74) someone is going to have to dispose of my guns as my sons have no real interest is shooting sports . I know that They won't get near the value of them if they are saddled with that chore .

Granted "it ain't such a BIG deal - - - BUT it is MY deal"

Thanks again,
    Charlie

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Checking Gun's

if only these guns could talk back to owners,owners get financially troubled.
    Here in Canada we have a wonderful registration system that solves all the problems. Ashort while ago I attempted to assist a very good friend. He was wishing he had a good old 870 Trap to shoot. I announced that I had an 870 All-American that he could have if it would make him happy. It was a gun from my personal inventory that I treasured very much, but if this would make him happy, I would sell it to him. This gun was 95 % with beautiful lumber. Likely the nicest I own. It was properly transfered into his name and all the rest.
    After a time he thought he would sell it and move on. In the midst of selling it I would think he has miss read the serial number and an official decides this gun is hot. Actually not the gun , the misread serial number.
    My friend tells the officials that he had purchased the gun from I.
    The officials then call me on telephone and announce that the gun I sold my friend was hot. I told the officer on the phone that if that gun was hot, that I have many more the same way. I felt they were pre-mature and they should have there facts correct before they continue.
    Each firearm in Canada Has a Serial Number, Registration Certificate Number and a Firearm Identification Number. Even if the gun has no serial number it has two other sets of I.D. numbers.
    This gun had come from my collection and I also had total pictures on this gun with at least one set of photo 's with serial number.
    Never heard anymore about this topic. My friend made a short apology and the world keeps turning.
    The problem is the human element enters into the situation.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Checking Gun's

I had a gun stolen last year. the cop that took the report said I had to rereport every 5 years or it gets dropped from the list? Bill

7. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Checking Gun's

"Joe Woods"

"A wonderful registration system"??????

Please stay in Canada.

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Checking Gun's

What Garmaster said. We don't need more laws or your wonderful registration in the good ole USof A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.