1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking for cross dominance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have 10 kids on my team this year, is there a way I can get them to shoulder their gun, (empty of course) let me look down the rib and check for cross eye dominance, or if this isnt the correct term, I mean where someone has right eye dominance and sometimes the left eye takes over and causes a miss.. thanks!

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Take a piece of paper and cut a hole in the center of it. Hold at arms length with both eyes open and look at an object. Close one eye to see if your still able to see the sighting object. The eye that stays sighted is your dominate eye.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

that wont work, as this happens randomly-- looking down the barrel is only for alignment!! watch your shooters --a right handed person will shoot a lil to the left when crossfiring occurs! if they get a right target, it will look like they just didnt quite get to the rock and then fired!! or sometimes they will break lefts alot easier-- built in lead due to left eye taking over. but most of the time, a simple straight away will get shot at ,to the left & by just a lil!! buy phil kiners dvd------ps: i wudnt talk much about this , in front of new kids or even new shooters--they dont comprehend it and its a worry to some. when there are a lot of other things to cover or learn!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

With both eyes open line your index finger up with a distant object. If you are right handed close your left eye. If your finger stays lined up with the object you are right eye dominant. If you close your right eye your finger will jump to the right if you are right eye dominant. If you close your right eye and your finger stays lined up you are left eye dominant. HMB

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Phil actually sent me his video and I watched it yesterday, I know how to check to see which eye is dominant, I just wanted to see about the non dominant one taking over, if there was a way to figure out if this may be happening to some of the kids, with out taping up their glasses first.. even with myself, I shoot my citori with both eyes no problem, I grab my wifes bt99 and have to close my left eye to hit with it..

6. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

I understand well of which you speak! I am right handed, have always shot rifle and shotgun left handed, never realized why , it just "felt better". Got into IHMSA (metalic pistol targets)in the early 80's and went to have a pair of tinted glasses made for shooting and was informed my vision was something like 35/20. Left eye was much better, as luck would have it I guess if you shoot enough in your lifetime you stumble into the correct form on occasion. I have several instuctional videos, shooting trap. sporting clays etc. most teachers agree its better to change shooting shoulders , rather than fight your eyes.
    Jim

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am at the age where occasional not consistent crossfiring is getting to be a problem. I shot a shotgun with both eyes open since 1952 so I think you should help the kids first find out which is their dominate eye and then worry about crossfiring/cross-dominance for the ones that seem to be having trouble.

Otnot said: "Take a piece of paper and cut a hole in the center of it. Hold at arms length with both eyes open and look at an object." Then very slowly with both eyes still open bring the piece of paper in toward the face and the dominate eye should become obvious but it may not.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like the hole in the paper method described by otnot. miketmx mentioned a more complex problem. That is the recessive eye occasionally taking over and becoming the dominant eye.

blkcloud- You cannot determine dominance by looking down the rib. If a shooter is looking down the rib at an object and alternately closes one eye at a time, he can determine dominance.

Pat Ireland

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

miketmx's addition to otnot's hole and paper method makes the cut. It is a more effective way to determine eye dominance than finger pointing. I don't have a dominant eye. If I point to an object in front of me with either hand and alternately close one eye, the finger points right or left depending on which eye was closed. If I point to an object with my right hand, the right eye "finger" is closer to the target. The farther to the right the object is, the more dominant the right eye becomes. Ditto for the left.

So the best method is the hole in the paper method, while slowly drawing the paper in towards your face.

blkcloud, I think the answer is not. I think you'll have to actually watch them shoot to find out.

10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

"I mean where someone has right eye dominance and sometimes the left eye takes over and causes a miss.. "

The above is what blkcloud is specifically looking for help with. It is "cross firing" issues he is wanting help, not cross dominance.

blkcloud, call Kiner and he can better explain the issues to watch for as there are several. Iam sure he won't mind. But there is really no way to just look at a person without viewing them actually shooting and distinguish wether they are going to cross fire or not since it is an occasional tendency.

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The reason I thought there may be a way to do this is..
    I had a trap coach come last year for a single "beginners lesson" he looked down the barrel at each kid and on one of them he took a piece of black tape and stuck on the kids left lens.. I didnt know at the time about cross firing and didnt know if I could look down the barrel and see the same thing he did. thanks!

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Is it really that difficult? Typically we've had the student standing a few feet away, perhaps 10, point at your nose and you can see which is their dominant eye. Is this not sufficient? Good to see so many people helping new shooters, Bob

13. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

knowing your eye dominance will still not stop crossfiring!! this has been discussed on here sevearl times. woman are especially prone to have it occur under stress or fatigue.

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Cross firing is diffenert than eye dominance. I KNOW I'm left-eye dominant and a left-handed shooter. Cross firing happens when a target flies right ( for me,left handed) and my RIGHT EYE takes over. Kiner decribes it best.Perhaps,you picked the wrong term blkcloud. And, I doubt there is a way to check this. It can happen to any 2-eyed shooter.Perhaps you meant to ask about "opposite" eye dominance? Cross firing can be "??fixed??" with tape on the non-dominant eye's shooting glasses. The only TRUE check for "cross" dominance lies somewhere in the scores ...i.e....habitual misses left or right.

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I see by your 2nd response that you know the differnce blkcloud. I can see NO way of testing crossfiring (which you refer to as cross dominance)...other than scores/misses/and a patten of habitual misses hard left or right. If you took a clay pigeon and held it up in front of the shooter. Moved it quickly left or right. How could you tell which eye was "hard" focused? Perhaps with slow motion camera? If you find the answer....please post it.

16. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I don't Know how you would test for crossfiring considering it doesn't happen all the time. I do know that if someone is having a problem with it and doesn't feel comfortable with the tape on the glasses , a sightblinder can be very effective. I would sometime start having trouble with it after a lot of shooting. $10 Sightblinder all but eliminated the problem for me. Just stick it on the end of the barrel and go SHOOT !!!

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Most of these arm's length/hands/fingers/holes in paper games won't work to identify cross dominance if the condition occurs when viewing moving versus stationary objects or when viewing objects at a distance as opposed to close in.

I went nuts with the problem until an astute optometrist discovered that my eye dominance changed with distance.

MK

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Yes, in a few dominance can change with distance. Also, for many, the left eye becomes dominant when looking at something to the left and the right eye becomes dominant when looking at something to the right. Just because one eye is dominant, that does not mean it remains dominant under every situation.

Pat Ireland

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

One of the things you can wtch for is a forward hand (not the trigger hand)flinch or sudden jerk. this is caused by the eyes swapping dominance and the brain all of a sudden realizing that the sight pattern is not correct. If you suspect that someone is having shifting dominance stand behind them and watch for a barrel jerk. The blocked eye method will most usually cure this problem.

Bob

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

thanks guys, your right I did call it wrong, cross firing is the term I should have used. thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.