1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checkering types?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Types I know about are the standard diamond checkering and stipple. Any others? I've only seen stipple on hand guns. Would appreciate picture references. Found the book by Kennedy and was able to look at the pics on line. Lots of carving around the checkered area, which is interesting, but an older style.

Thanks. I'm not interested in doing, just knowing.

2. larryjk

larryjk Member

All checkering is the diamonds with variations as to type (flat or pointed) and layout and associated carving or stippling. Some is borderless, some with borders, mullered borders, etc. Start looking at the patterns on fine custom guns from the factory shops and from custom makers. Some "custom" work is laughable and some is very fine. You need to watch examples or get with someone who does that kind of work to explain it to you. The same goes for engraving.
    Kenndy's book is the first one I read and tried. The Winchester books show some nice work from their custom shop in days gone by. Leupold scope brochures used to feature custom work. There are books on the custom makers that have all kinds of checkering pattern. It's out there, keep looking.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

A third style, that has limited use is a basket weave. Checkering is fun Joe, you should think about it. You have the single best reference. The book is old but the basic techniques of checkering have remained constant for a very long time.

Pat Ireland

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Pat,

Maybe when the kids move out. Now I'm lucky to help with the homework in time to shoot on Thursday's...

I don't know why but the idea of random-ness always comes to mind when I think of checkering. Somebody had to invent stipple. How about a new one called 'scratch'. Random angled cuts where you need a solid hold...

Good website article on stipple.

Hah!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stippling is functional. Mixing some sand with glue an applying it to the grip is also functional. Checkering is both attractive and functional. I can easily teach you to stipple in three minutes or less.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.