1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checkering help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Need help checkering---I have all the necessary tools ,including M-2 power checkering tool and practice stocks---My problem is keeping stright line going over rounded curves---I carve all kinds of water fowl but checkering has me stumped---Not that I can't afford a pro but I just like wood working---Any help appreciated----George@SJB

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

get yourself a long feeler gauge, .005-010" thick, and layout your master line using that as a guide.

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Get a roll of plastic label tape (DYMO is one brand) at an office supply store and use that as a guide to lay out your initial lines. The tape will go on straight and provide a firm guide for the first lines. When spacing over a curved area be very careful to keep the guide in the previously cut groove. A 60 degree spacer will help you stay in the groove. I use this method for checkering with hand tools, I have not used the power checkering tools.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Get a checkering cradle, and rotate the material to keep the cut line and cutter, facing you on the top at all times, when working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.