1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Checkering a Synthetic Stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perdition, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perdition

Perdition TS Member

Is it possible to have a plain synthetic stock checkered? If so, does anyone know of someone that performs this service? Also, how is the checkering retained on the stock (regardless of material) should it be hydro dipped?

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They should be able to do it but it would have to be cut, not pressed

When i was a kid, I got some checkering tools from Herter's and made some old stocks look pretty good

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You may be able to have a checkered pattern applied by someone who has a laser cutter. There are some stock makers who use laser technology to apply checkering and other embellishments on wood stocks and forearms, they should be able to make the same applications on your composite stock.

Do a goggle search.

Surfer

4. high 2

high 2 Member

I've never checkered a composite, but have done some 1911 front straps. It should be possible, but would probably have to be done without using an electric rig. Get it hot and might cause problems. Larry

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

Are you checkering for grip or for looks? If for grip - I've seen where people have applied an epoxy with anti-skid grit mixed in it over the grip areas.

6. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

This is done on polymer frame handguns all the time. They call it stippling . Usually done with a soldering iron.

Go to youtube and search "stippling".

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have been able to achieve the "stippling" effect with leather working tools. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

checkering a composite stock

checkering synthetic stock