1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Check Your Glocks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 87AA, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Three years after the murder of 2 young girls, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation has determined that the murder weapon was a Glock 22 with the serial number of EKG463US.

If you've bought a Glock in the past 3 years please check the serial number. This case has a lot of people baffled. Few clues and few if any suspects.

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My question is how did they determine the serial number of a gun that they do not know who has it, where it is at, where and when it may have been transferred? The only way I could see as a possibility is that the gun was stolen from an owner who filled out all the proper paperwork Form 4473 and whatever else Oklahoma may require, and this owner had a bullet or case fired in that gun which was then compared to the bullets and/or cases recovered from the murder and they matched the bullets and/or cases to the crime. If the original owner legally sold or traded it, there would be a paper trail to the next owner I would think. That would be somewhat of a convoluted way to get the serial number three years after a crime and without a suspect. Something about this article and the serial number search just sounds a bit "off" to me.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Likely a fired case shipped with a new commercial gun matched a case found at the crime scene. Glocks are not easily identified from recovered bullets. If true, this would be about the ONLY time a fired case has been matched to one shipped with a new gun.

If ten cops shot a perp with identical Glocks firing identical ammo, the bullets could not be positively matched to each gun.

4. goony

goony Active Member

It was probably originally owned by a law enforcement agency that test fired each pistol before it was issued and kept a spent bullet and casing on file. This pistol was probably trade in to Glock for the latest model and then resold to to the public.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Probably a BATF "fast and furious" firearm...

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I call BS unless there is far more to the story than is provided. Forensics have a hard time with the Glock's because their bullet and case impression are so similar from Glock to Glock. About the best nthe experts can tell is the weapon was a Glock. Read about a court case where the expert testifing admitted the Glock's are near impossible to pin to a specific gun by the lands and grooves on the bullets and the firing pin impressions because they were all very close to identical. Now i'm no ballistics expert but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

7. rustygun

rustygun Member

From reading an article, I believe the gun was reported stolen,the owner is not a suspect. They want to find the gun if it was sold to someone after being used in the crime. Pretty much a long shot.

8. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

That is good Matt, you got me laughing this morning. How is the stock project coming along?

Jim R

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Coming along great Jim. PM sent.

10. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Glock pistols do not have a standard groove and land rifling, so it would almost be impossible to match that up with the murder bullet. The Leo's best chance would be to match the ejector and extractor markings. They, too, are quite unique to each handgun...

The Glock handguns use polygonal rifling, so to speak. They went to the polygonal to get a slight increase in muzzle velocity to meet caliber specs for some of the newer calibers after they opened up the chambers to assist feeding which they were having problems with. After a few years, Glock made it a standard througout their line...

H&K also use the polygonal rifling in their pistols and even some rifles and sub machine pistols and rifles. They are a proven design, a bit more difficult to get clean, but they also don't copper-up much. It is important not to use lead bullets in Glock firearms with polygonal rifling; it will void the warranty and could be a dangerous practice because of pressure spikes due barrel leading which is hard to see in the polygonal design. The H&K pistols do not have that restriction placed on them; I guess their design is different than Glock's -- I'l trust the H&K engineers here to guide us in their designs....cya

11. leadvail

leadvail Member

And if it is my Glock????

Do I get a reward or a trip to the Big House.

Bob

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

My thought is that they know who did it, where he got the gun, who owned the gun before he got it - and now they need gun so they can prove that was the gun used in the killing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.