1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Check the gunsmith's work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

No matter how good they're supposed to be, no matter who recommends them, check out the repair before you walk away, especially if it's a trailer at a shoot. I made the mistake on Sunday at Cardinal. I bought a BT 100 from a vendor on Saturday - it needed a new lever spring and the ejector/extractor function was not working - would only eject. Recommendations on TS.com and from Rod Stumbo was to take it up the row to Phillips, which I did. I left it overnight with him and picked it up on Sunday. Now had the extract function I wanted and he replaced the lever spring. But, somehow the comb got bumped and there were five small dings in the finish - I left it with him for a couple more hours and he managed to buff most of it out and has offered to fix it come winter when I don't need the gun. Went to shoot today and was using junk ammo so figured I'd just eject it. I turned the button and guess what - now the gun will only extract. Not what I paid for and of course Phillips is on the road or headed home - I've sent him an email so will see what he says. But now I'll have to ship the whole gun to him (if he'll fix it) instead of just the buttstock. Damaged stock and incomplete or incorrect repair is what I've ended up with. Hopefully he'll stand by his reputation but I'm more than a bit disappointed.

Rich Miller

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Being a stock smith myself, stuff sometimes happens. When it does, I do ALL that I can to make the customer happy. I`ve heard nothing but good things about Phillips. Give him the chance to make it right. Larry

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I have a BT100 that I shot for years and like my shells to eject. When I first got the gun, it would only eject sporadically and sometimes just extract. After I gave up trying to figure it out, I gave it to a local Browning Authorized repair. They swore that it was fixed, but it was not. After years of using it the only explanation that I have is that the gun is VERY sensitive to the type of shell used AND the way that you open it. It seems that mine would only eject Gun Clubs and never Top Guns. Also to eject, I would need to open it quick to really get the spring to pop. I just gave up on getting it to eject reliably.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think you should have given him time to correct the issue before making this public. Now you have questioned his ability and integrtity on a public forum likely putting to risk his good name. This could hit him in the wallet more than you. If he is traveling how does he have a chance to make it right? You know he does have a phone too and has always answered when i called. As said before, accidents happen.

Poor choice making this a public issue 'yak'.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Phillips Gunsmithing is very reputable and very good, Your results very much suprised me, he is very meticulate about his work, he has my Reciever and stock now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I to have to say things happen. I forgot to put a gun in the car to have a friend take it to a gunsmith so he would have 4 days to work on it. My fault there. I took it to him with just one day for him to work on it. What happened was not his fault but yes he should have been more alert on things. But he was a busy person at the shoot. He made everthing right and all is well.

I feel he will do you right because he did say when winter comes around he will work on it and repair the dings. To me thats a good start to be a proper gunsmith.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Again, look for insurance when dealing with traveling gunsmiths. Don't mean to be repetetive--your repairs are very minimal compared to a cracked stock on a brand new K-80 with the best wood.

Phil Berkowitz

8. yakimaman

I haven't said one bad thing about Phillips and do hope he makes it right, but I'm out the expense of shipping it to him (I had to have the the gun to shoot) all I've said is to make sure the fix you paid for is fixed before you walk away from the shop.

Rich Miller

9. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Had same issue with him-twice(barrel fitting and a replace springs/firing pins/cleaning).He is honest and will make it right BUT,it should be right the 1st time!Next time I will ship to him when he is NOT at a shoot and can take his time.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree with matt & others here. Phillips has a very highly rated reputation & is known for some of the best work anywhere. I think it was the way you worded it that offends some. I know you did not mean to trash Phillips but in reallity you did. It is not to late to correct it & if you do I am sure Phillips will understand but if you do not I would bet that he may not be so easy to deal with on this issue, I know I wouldn't. This is after all a public forum and lots of people read here and as matt says, the harm has been done whether you intended it or not. aiting to see how he handles it would have been a good choice

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You just bought the gun..hmmm..you didn't know much about it before you took it to the gunsmith. I don't think you should be slandering the gunsmith.

If you buy a used car off the lot and have problems I'll bet when you take it to your favorite mechanic he won't be able to fix everything the first trip. Reason is people trade in cars and guns that have problems and don't bother to reveal them, just pass it on to the next guy.

12. yakimaman

Again folks, I don't intend to slander the gunsmith - stuff does indeed happen and I took him up on his offer to repair the stock later this year but I just wanted to pass on a caution to people to make sure that a repair is to their satisfaction before walking away. If this had been a local shop I would have not said a word, but as it is I now will have to ship and insure the whole gun rather than just the buttstock in order to have a minor repair or adjustment done over. I should have pulled the trigger group, run the gun through both functions while standing at the counter - didn't do it - he was busy as could be - other customers there too and I assumed all was ok - paid the bill and didn't check it until I was at the league shoot yesterday - lesson learned.

Rich Miller

13. RLC323

RLC323 Member

So you buy the gun on Saturday and need it done on Sunday and you leave it overnight. Apparently whoever came in on the night shift to repair guns at Phillip's is to blame. Wait, that would be Phillip himself in there working all hours so the worn-out gun you bought could go home with you.

Give the guy a break and let him take care of it over the winter. BTW the extract-eject button on the BT-100 is a joke, especially when using cheap ammo, seems you are still in the process of finding that out.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think if you had left the gunsmith nameless, there wouldn't have been that chance of people such as myself reading it wrong and taking offense. You offered good advice and that's fine but you should have made it hypothetical instead of personal especially when you go by a sign on name but used his real name.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Matt. You are no balls and 2 strikes. Let it go.

16. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I do gunsmith work; not full shop major work, but the overflow most big shops decide to avoid -- trigger work, cracks, mystery problems, custom 1911 work, etc. To understand what it's like you would need to walk in his shoes for a week or more. Your post was insulting and self-serving, IMO. I believe you put the cart before the horse and are finding it difficult to straighten out your rig after the fact. As MIA stated, let it go; it would be in your best interests to refrain from posting any more words on this subject. You can apologize to Phillips yourself and let him work out the problems with the BT -- just remember, he's not God, and things do happen when repairing mechanical devices....Cya

17. larryjk

larryjk Member

Gunsmiths will always do their best for the time they are given. They have to diagnose your guns problem and it may not be the same as the last one they saw. It is best if they can fire the gun and see the problem in action. If not, they
    do the best they can. They are usually willing to do more work on the gun if the problem isn't fixed the first time around. Some shooters (who have not an idea how to fix the problem) will not take it back to the original gunsmith so he can remedy the problem. The smith is willing to do that so he has more experience on that problem. Gunsmiths are like doctors in that they are PRACTICING a trade.

18. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

I know some of my shooting friends that have used him for repairs and modifications. He has done exactly as requested to the satisfaction of the the people I know ,but my friends have always as soon as the gun was given back took it and shot it to be sure it was to their satisfaction if not they would take it back an he would fix the problem almost imediately. He is a traveling worker and maybe it would have been a benefit to you both if you had checked it over before you left the shoot.

19. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I think you made to correct statement in your second sentance,"I made the mistake on Sunday at Cardinal". I had a very reputable Smith work on a Perazzi at the Grand. Took it back three times before it was properly corrected. I took it to the line each time and tested it to make sure the repair was sucessful. Point is it was nothing that could have been forseen that was the problem. Each fix was necessary but was unknown untill tested. Sounds as though you have similar situtation. I agree with others that you posted improperly about a man who is known to be one of the good guys. By the way he did not work on my Perazzi. Jake

20. JoeE1

JoeE1 TS Member

the thing is that if you had not mentioned the gunsmith there would have been a clamoring on here wanting to know just who it was.(and from some of those finding fault with your comment). Sometimes you just can't satisfy everyone.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.