1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Check My Process

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

After reading all the material and discussions on the subject of setting POI, here's what I think I'm doing this weekend with a new gun with adjustable comb and rib:
    -Set the comb for a figure 8 look down the rib
    -Rest the gun 20 yds from the pattern board
    -Steady the front bead at the six oclock position on the 3" aiming dot on the
    board
    -Fire about three rounds
    -Measure the center of the pattern relative to the bottom of the 3" aiming dot
    -If the pattern center is at the top of the 3" dot, that would extrapolate to
    6" high at 40 yds which would equate to a 70/30 pattern
    -Make any small adjustments with the rib once I've achieved the pattern I want
    with comb adjustments. I don't fuly understand this last one, but I read it
    on a thread here not too long ago. If the comb adjustments get you the
    desired pattern, why screw with the rib ?
    Without wanting to start a food fight, please comment if I'm on the right track here.
    Thanks for your assistance.

2. andybull

andybull Active Member

Why have an adjustable rib and make the final adjustments to it instead of the comb? The degree difference of pitch from the rib to the bore will determine your POI. Then the adjustment of the comb to determine proper eye to rib alignment.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

FNG- I would suggest you alter your procedure. Make one shot and measure the POI, do not fire three shots and take an average. Aiming errors occur. I typically shoot 10 shots at paper 13 yards away. One or two of my shots even from a solid rest are clearly out of line due to a shooting error. I disregard them. Also, I don't like shooting at steel plates. Shot can bounce off in many directions, including the direction of me. I only shoot paper.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.