1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheating or Smart?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blackfoot, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Just finished the PITA Grand.Nice shoot but I and several other shooters noticed something that was troubling. Several fields (about 6-8 in the far corners) are more diffacult because of backround,hand set traps and wind than the fields in the center(there are about 12 fields in the center that most people like better than the others).

Here's the problem: the very top shooters seemed to always get the best fields!In fact a very top shooter was on my squad: our squad drew some of the tougher fields. The top shooter withdrew from our squad;then re-registered the next day and ended up on a squad that shot on the best fields. This shooter ended up shooting top scores.

Is this shooter a smart champion or a chump? What's your feeling on this?

2. goldengirl

goldengirl TS Member

SMART Businessman

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If the shoot managment lets it happen, then he is just optimizing his chances of winning!

ec90t

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

blackfoots.... The traps you draw at the Grand are randomly chosen after shooters sign up. In this case, the shooter that withdrew from your squad had to pay a re-squadding fee to do so. This option is open to any shooter that shot the Grand, not just the top dogs. Our squad, #56, was fortunate enough to draw more traps on the left bank than on the right. This definately played to our advantage, due to the background, except for the championship doubles. We drew traps L-2 and L-1, right in front of the 5 stand building. The targets were a nightmare to shoot due to the wind swirling around that building and moving the targets in all sorts of directions. FYI, three "top dogs" also drew those traps for doubles: Stu Welton, Mike Wirta, and Fred Coulson. They ended up with 93,93,91, in that order. Good scores were recorded from all the traps, not just the ones you refer to. In my opinion, the handset traps threw the best targets on the grounds. The only problem with shooting on the far right bank was the wind and the sky background. If the wind was still, the background problem was easy to overcome with lense choice. All in all, the fields were equal, and everyone had to shoot at least one bank during the week.... Just my opinion......Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This is a case where common logic can be applied so lets see here ... The Top Shooter shot one of the Top scores and those that shot where you did, didn't ... This would lead me to believe that the Top Shooter was smart in manipulating where he or she was going to have to shoot based on Logic and the fact that this Top Shooter shot one of the Top scores ... Logic tells me that: You and other shooters obviously did not or you wouldn't of posted this and asked this question ... Look for my new and improved book called "Brilliant Deductions by WPT ... (YAC)" ... coming to book stores near you soon ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

What he did is allowed by the rules, of course, but my respect for him might have dropped just a notch had I been on his squad (either one)

What would happen if EVERYONE who drew the questionable fields had withdrawn and re-registered?? Would some squads again have been assigned to the undesireable fields?

7. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

There were 3 events that were squaded on far right fields.The issue is the fields assigned not who the shooter was shooting with.

8. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Phew...glad I wasnt the only one to wonder about this.

My buddy and I arrived thursday and was surprised when we hit the squadding window that squads 3 & 5 were open.

After shooting from the R12 area I mused that this was the reason these squads were open. That and the fact the sun is a little more in your face on the early squads.

I would loved to have shot on the far left banks which was the only place you were guaranteed a nice solid background. I shot pretty poorly on the far right banks but come the saturday doubles (which i've only shot about 5 times) and picked up 10 targets on my average. Though, I was told by Gary Webster from my home club that the swirling winds on the left bank can be troublesome.

Cheating? nah...but there is much to say that familiarity gives a slight advanatage.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Grand Pacific was my first PITA shoot and I had a great time. The background at Evergreen is different from any other club I have shot at. I shot scores close to my ATA averages but I thought I would do a little better since when the sun was shining the orange targets seemed to stand out like wash tubs against the dark green trees in the background. I attribute my mediocre scores in Handicap to two different phenomena and might be way off base on both theories. First theory is the bright orange targets seemed to give a "Startle Effect" as they would leap out of the trap house with a visible streak and I found myself jumping at the streak with a too low gun hold over the trap house. The 2nd theory is that I could easily see the bright orange targets but my rib and green Uni-Dot front bead did not provide a very good reference against the dark trees in the background. I could see the targets real good but not see the gun closing in on the target. I don't aim my shotgun but I need a reference in my peripheral vision and I think I might have shot better Handicap scores with some white chalk rubbed on my rib or whatever else good under the lights shooters use at night.

10. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

if you're seeing a streak...it'd probably be a good idea to raise your eye-hold.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

This is a good example of the fallacy of changing fields for subevents. Unless all shooters shoot on the same fields during an event, you might as well shoot 100 per field and save a lot of time.

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

One of the things I've noticed about shooting at Evergreen is they use targets with the edge unpainted. That makes just the top visible. Most if not all the other clubs I've shot at use solid painted birds except for the underside. Having the edge of the birds black give you a lot less to standout and see. If you're shooting the fields where the target goes from trees to sky this fact just makes it that much more difficult to see the birds clearly. This is clearly an advantage for younger eyes than mine.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whine Whine Whine Whine

14. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Huh?

Most of the 'top shooters' I know prefer the end banks. The 'center' banks in front of the big clubhouse are far too prone to having the wind come up the big open hill in your face and play with your targets.

Perhaps he changed squads due to the people on the squad, not the bank.......???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.