1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheapo Primers - Which are the best???????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ken X, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Since I just looked at one suppliers primer prices and saw that our favorite brands (Win. Rem. and Fed.) are now in the $150 range for 5K, which of the cheapo brands are the best replacements, and I'll bet a lot of shooters will be going to them this year!

I hear Cheddites make your primer pockets too large, ( and I really don't want to buy anything from a French company anyway) and that Fiocchis are pretty good, but everybody doesn't carry them. What about the Nobel Sports? At around $100 a sleeve, the price might be right, but have they been OK for anybody?

Also, does anybody have the info on the brissance (sp.) or "hotness" of the different brands?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've used about 10k of rio's without incident...about $90-100 per 5k.

Jim

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

FYI, I've used, in past times, at least 100K Cheddites interchangeably with Winchesters and never, ever had an enlarged primer pocket. I quit using them and bought many Winchesters when Cheddites raised their price to nearly the same but if they are significantly lower than Winnies next purchase, that's what I'll buy....breakemall....Bob Dodd BTW, I heard on FOX News today that we are more likely to be buddies with the new French government and less with the new Brittish Prime Minister now so we may have to buy more brie and Bordeaux wines, eh?....BD

4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Same here, over 10k of Rios with no misfires, no erosion of firing pins on a K-80 and KX-5. They DO definitely enlarge the primer pocket. Before switching to Rios, I used Cheddites, probably 20k or so, no problems. (Price went up on the Cheddites and thought I'd try Rios). Cheddites do NOT enlarge primer pockets. Both suggest using Winchester data, I prefer to use a recipe around 10,000 psi or so, no more, just to be on the safe side. I'd say Cheddites are pretty close to Winchesters, but Rios are "hotter". The Rios I got last December were $82 bucks plus tax. Not a difficult decision to make. [wink]

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

bump for good information.

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I load Fio's. They were $83 per sleeve tax and all.

Forrest

7. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Fiocchi here!

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

After testing, I bought 100K Rio primers. Hot, reliable, good cold weather performance, and priced right. I load Diana hulls, which go with the Rios. I also load most anything the kids shoot at SCTP matches and practice. My home club has one of the largest SCTP's in the nation.

I get all the Diana and Fed game hulls I can carry home. Lots of Diana papers, too. I load them once and drop them in the can. I also load the Remmy hulls and a few AA's. The Rio works great. For what I paid for them, I will not go back to the overpriced domestics.

9. redlined67

redlined67 TS Member

I use Fiocchi primers. $85 per 5K. Had one bum in the first thousand. Used about 3500 now I think. I use Fiocchi VIP hulls so I dont know about stretching the pocket. Iv heard they do on the other hulls (AA STS).

10. redlined67

redlined67 TS Member

Sorry. I use them in some STS hulls also. They fit but Iv never put a 209 primer back in them. So I dont know If there stretched.

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Where do you guys find Rio's?

12. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Where to you get the Fio's and Rio's??

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

At the Great lakes Grand in Mason, Michigan.

14. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

chauncy must like the Win209s for $130/5000

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I compared the Fiochi primers to the Winchester I use. I miked them in every way, and I can find absolutely no difference. After this, I can't see how they would oversize the primer pocket??!!

Anyone else do this test?

Danny

16. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I have had three misfires with Fiocchi Primers in the first thousand. They were loaded in remington sts hulls. Do not know if it was the primer shoving the pocket lower because it is oversized or a hard cup. This was with two different guns. Very light strike on the cup. Gary

17. BP348

BP348 Active Member

While I haven't loaded that many shells I've been useing Cheddite's and haven't had any problems. The guys at my club use Cheddite's and have loaded thousands with out any problems.

18. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Rio. I don't care if they stretch the pocket. I'll never shoot Wins or Rems when I can save 50 to 60 bucks per 5000.

Who ever said nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good must be a poor man.

I have yet to have a problem with 10,000 Fio or the 10,000 Rio primers I have used.

Go to Rio and you won;t go back to any priemum primer.

Use Fed 209A data or check the Rio website they have limited data.

19. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Tried Fiocchi and had 4-5 per hundred that would not fire on first try, with a light firing pin mark on primer...three different guns, same result. Always worked on second try. Switched to Cheddites and have not had any problems. I use the Fiocchis for practice and Cheddites for registered events. PG

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Chauncy
    If you so darn rich why bother reloading unless; you do not need to work for a living and use reloading as a way to pass the time.

If I was that rich I would shoot more.

Congratulations on your good fortune. Alas, most of us still need to save wherever we can.

Don;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.