1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheapest Ammo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1100 classic trap shooter, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

What is the cheapest trap ammo out now and were is it available?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

On your reloading bench!

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What AHAB said. When shot first went up, I "refreshed" my well worn Mec 9000's for like new ones for $150 each from folks who did not think about the long term. When ammo caught up, I sold my old presses for $250 each. This allowed updates to the new primer tray and components. ;^)

As I have said, time and time again, I can load ammo I cannot buy, and have more faith in my ammo than factory. This IS a mental game. Superior gear does give an edge.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Shooting Coach. One can still reload premium shells for less than the cost of discount shells if reloading time is ignored. Because of time, I am still looking for a deal on 1-2 pallets of Centurion shells for practice, doubles and singles.

Pat Ireland

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just bought 80 bags at $38.00.....that equates to $25.33 per flat w/o adding the costs of primers, wads and hulls.

The above posters are correct...reloading has now become the conservative way to fly.

Curt - Delaware

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I agree... its back to pulling the handle... I load 7/8 oz for Olympic Trap and have determines that as a general rule the cost to reload a flat is about the cost of the bag of shot.... If the shot cost $38 a bag then the flat will cost you $38 to reload. Now this is just a 'rule of thumb'. Considering that it now cost me something like $35-40 a bag/flat and it would cost me $56 a flat for Kemens then its back to reloading.

TB

7. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

grnberetcj:
    where are you getting your shot, I was just contacted by our club member who monitors reloading supplies and he is having a tough time finding a source for shot. If anyone had any ideas, we are real interested. We are on the California coast. May have to start a thread on this
    thanx

Dennis

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dennis,

We obtain our supplies from a distributor in PA. Besides shot the company can supply almost any brand of shells.

Curt

9. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Hey Curt, I was at CAC today (2-6-08) and got some stuuf and came home and calulated the cost per box of 1 1/8 0z. loads, $4.67. Brand name primers, wads and powder have also taken dramatic jump in prices since 1-1-08... Mike

10. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

ddrsuz, connies can get you shot shipped to your front door for $39.99 a bag, 2 bag min. If you pick it up from them in Washington, it $29.99 for 80 bags min, $30.99 for 40 bags min, and $31.99 per bag. I can't believe people are desperate enough to pay $55 for a bag of shot on Ebay, then pay the $12 shipping for a total of $67 for 25lbs of #5 shot. Thanks David

11. nipper

nipper TS Member

The least expensive is a reload, just visited Jims place in person, "the best shotmaker" and i am very impressed with his quality and products espically his black max model, i just bought 6 bags of homemade shot at 27.00 a bag,if there is somewhere else i can buy factory for less please let me know.

Bill

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I used the 24 gram load back when folks asked "why?" I have shot Bunker for years, and know what the Intl' load will do. Now, fellow shooters want to know my recipes!

13. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have been buying Remington Gun Clubs for $40 a flat. Just picked up three flats last night, had a couple of rain checks from a sale. Sale price on them has risen to $50 a flat though since the first of the year though so may have to consider digging the MEC 9000 out.

Shot cost here is $39.99 a bag at Bi Mart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.