1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yzfart, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

Howdy all,

This is my first real post on the site so I will quickly introduce myself and then get to the project. I am a guy that used to hunt and occasionally shoot trap with my dad - that was 18 years ago. Now I am married with kids and have just got the bug for trapshooting again. I talked with Pop about this and he hooked me up with his old P/W single-stage press, a few AA hulls and some shot. He also let me borrow his 101 Win to "get my feet wet". Well, I think I jumped in the puddle and now I want to have a trap gun of my own - enter this project.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to tell you, I am pretty excited today. I am building up a circa 1955 870 Wingmaster to be my "Poor man's trap gun". This is one of my first guns that my dad bought me when I was a kid - If I can make it work I will really be tickled.

I began with a plain-janer 870 that Joe Bag-o-Donuts bought new in the 50's to hunt some ducks and the occasional pheasant or quail. It had field stock and forearm and a plain barrel.

I started looking for a 870 Trap stock and forearm and was in awe at the prices they were fetching. I got to looking and I found the Jack West stocks that were purpose built for clayshooters and not too pricey. So I ordered one up from Richard Colley on this site - I gotta say this guy is a straight shooter and a great person to work with.

Next I had to do something with the 28" plain barrel, so I got on Gunbroker and got a 30" Wingmaster barrel with Remchokes and a Bradley front sight and midbead. While I was looking for the barrel I found a trigger shoe - so I splurged ($14 more) and got it, too.

Today, I got home to find a couple boxes and an envelope waiting for me. I opened everything up and put that gun together. What a beauty - at least for me. I know you guys that shoot P-guns and K-guns are thinking - what is this guy all wound up for ... it is just an 870. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (pics attached)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I sure am fired up to get it out to the trap field on Thursday - I better get to loading. I figure a couple hundred targets will give me some insight into how this will work for me - and it will give her the chance to tenderize me a bit, too.

The one thing I am not liking about this setup so far is that the vent rib on the barrel is showing quite a bit of glare. What have you guys done to cut the glare on the rib?

I will let you know how it performed on Thursday night. Yeah, I know its Christmas eve and all - but this is my present to myself!!

Happy holidays,

Ben

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. below 0

below 0 TS Member

As long as you are happy with it, Shoot it... I started with a 870, also, about 35 years ago, and shot some very good scores with it. The only problem that I had with my 870 Trap was that it kicked the snot out of me so I graduated to a Kolar and have done quite well with it. Remember that if you point the gun in the right direction, the target will brake...Shoot well my friend...Odie

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

There is nothing "Cheap" about an 870...yes it may be less expensive than a K or P gun, but not cheap.

Trapshooting (and clay target shooting in general) is supposed to be fun. So, fix the gun the way you like it and go have fun. Things don't have to be expensive to have fun....

I still have alot of fun with my 1987, 11-87 that my wife gave me as a Christmas present in 1987....

Merry Christmas,

Curt - Delaware

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

Hey Ben,...MERRY CHRISTMAS. : I did the same thing with an 870 from 1950. I put a synthetic stock on it but don't like it. It's hollow and has no weight so the gun feels front end heavy with a ribbed 30" barrel. How's yours feel?

Wayne

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi-
    I've sort of done the same thing with a field 11-87. However, I bought the Speedfeed setup from brownells. Its a synthetic deal like yours, monte carlo stock and fore end. The stock does have a hole where the sling swivel would be mounted (this setup is intended to be a turkey, scoped deal).....but it feels like a trapgun to me, and for not much money. I like the J West cut out adjustable comb yours has, though. I figure I can put a nice piece of silver or brass where that sling hole is. I bought a 30" barrel for it, and bought an extended super full choke from Midwest Gun Works. $10 for the choke! (on sale). I would like to do the same thing w/ an 870 like you have for another option to have fun with.
    -powderburn

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ben, you did a great job with the gun. It looks great. Have fun shootin them birds. Bulge.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

So many newer shooters believe that one must have an expensive gun to shoot trap, possibly because so many of the better shots have expensive guns. But, nearly every shooter with an expensive gun will tell you that it is not necessary. I would trade my K-80 in a heartbeat for an 870, if I could shoot the 870 better. For some of us, we bought expensive guns so that when we miss targets, we can miss them with nice guns.

Pat Ireland

8. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Very cool!!! I'm an 1100 guy and I have pieced together more then one trap gun with used barrels and stocks. Remember at the end of the day its the guy behind the trigger that effectivly breaks targets....yes equipment helps..but it wont do it all for you.

Have fun with it thats what this is supposed to be all about!!!

Scott

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the old eight seven zero! There was a man named Rudy Etchen who set the target world on fire with one. Most of us can only DREAM of being half as good as he was in his hay day! Worked for him!

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Cheap???? no way, that is the best selling pump ever built. also built like a tank did you see the video here on T.S. a few days ago with the guy TRYING to blow up an 870?? parts are easy to get (if needed) easy to clean etc. Ross

11. Fireball

Fireball Member

Welcome back into trapshooting Ben. It really dosen't matter what you shoot for a gun because you already have what alot of guys in trapshooting have, and its pricless.

That's desire. Break em all Ben.

Dave F.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

What you did was build one of the most reliable and cost effective trap guns that have and ever will crush a target..take the time to tune it and shoot it alot and you'll really never have the need for another...congrats and good shooting

13. rd

rd TS Member

I've shot Kreighoffs and Berettas for a long time, but am now back to the Model 12 I started with as a kid in the sixties. I really enjoy it a lot more. It's the same in archery- I am now getting more satisfaction shooting the old recurve and longbow than the pulley machines that pass as good equipment now.

You don't need the most expensive equipment to get the same level of recreation. It is all about personal satisfaction, not public acclaim.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Some of the best shooters of all time shoot pump guns. I started with a Savage Model 29 and shot it for long time.

Welcome to the best lifetime sport on earth.

15. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I started with an 870TC and ran my first 25,50,75 straights with it. I liked the ease of use with a breakopen action so I got a BT100 and ran my first 100 with it. Then some friends at the club talked me into a TM1 and I have several 199's with it and got to the 26 1/2. 870 is a good gun but for recoil and trigger you have to move up. I'm thinking a new TM9X may get me to the back fence. The journey is what makes trapshooting fun, that and the people you meet.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ben, Hello and congrats on the fine looking shoot-en iron there. I have one as well. Mine is the TB grade w/ wood stock. Yours is nicer in the way you can adj. all needed. I did find mine to be a light gun however and it kicked me pretty good. This can be fixed inexpensively and you can do it all. First I installed a used mercury weight in the stock (got it on this site). Your stock is different than the wood so you will need to find out the diameter of hole and depth of hole so you can get the biggest weight in there. Next I found the gun out of balance (back heavy) and needed to add some weight to the front of gun. Jim's eye and ear sells weights you can add to your end cap that holds barrel on, in different sizes like 4 oz.and 6 oz. and 8 oz. call l-(904)-260-9498 and ask for Jim. Once you get some added weight on that gun and balenced to your liking you will find it is a clay crushing machine. Best of Luck out there tomorrow and don't forget to Break-em all. Jeff

17. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

I really appreciate all of the kind words and the good advice.

One of the items you all were very consistent about was the addition of weight to the gun for recoil control. Today I had some extra time and a bit of brass stock so I made a brass plug to go forward of the spring in the mag tube. It adds 12 oz of weight up front. I have added 16 oz to the inside of the stock via a lead ingot screwed to the inside of the recoil pad (this stock has a large hollow cavity. I figure this brought me up to a touch over 9 lbs. That should help the recoil.

The magic marker on the rib to cut down glare is a great idea. I was thinking of even masking it off and painting it with matte black paint but I will try the marker first.

Well, I am off to the garage to throw some loads together. I will give you the shoot report tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Ben

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

No such thing as a cheap trap, skeet, sporting or bunker gun. What goes out their barrels are the uncheap stuff.

19. maka

maka Member

Rem. 870 are super guns. Origanlly designed to compete with Br. model 12. Both are great guns. Depends on what side of mile you were born on. As previous posts, try it first; if it punches to hard: add weight. Also try some lighter loads, ie... 1oz. or 7/8's.

20. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

I think you have a great gun I was one of the people who thought you had to have a fancy gun to break good scores but i have broke some of my best scores with an 1100 happy shooting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.