1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap tomatoes...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crusha, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

This is the internet. Everything you read may be false...

...with that admonition...let's put this into the "Marketplace of Ideas" for review & comment...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

From a California school teacher - - -

"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal
    immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a
    large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1
    school, mean ing that its students average lower socioeconomic
    and income levels.

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell
    Gardens , Huntington Park , etc., where these students are
    protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program.
    When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll
    -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that
    would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental ,
    with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten. ( OUR
    TAX DOLLARS AT WORK )

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at
    least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell
    phones . The school also provides day care centers for the unwed
    teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend
    ; class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for
    babysitters or having family watch their kids. ( OUR TAX
    DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing
    funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for
    anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new
    computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one
    month later, have been carved with graffiti by the
    appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and
    grateful to have a free education in America (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute
    teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students
    here in the country less then 3 months who raised so much hell with
    the female teachers, calling them "Putas" (whores) and throwing
    things that the teachers were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, day care
    etc., etc, etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be
    in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements ?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants
    contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and
    housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time
    in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs,
    more crime, lower standards of education in our schools,
    overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more
    for tomatoes.

We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster
    because we won't have the guts to enforce it Does anyone in their
    right mind really think they will voluntarily leave and return?

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world
    culture that does not value education, that accepts children
    getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses
    to assimilate , and an American culture that has become so weak and
    worried about " politically correctness" that we don't have the
    will to do anything about it.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

buzz-gun, Many years ago I was married to a teacher/librarian and she had so much a year to spend.

If she didn't spend it, it had to be turned back into the general school fund, and her budget would be cut accordingly for the next school year.

You can bet your sweet bippy, that no one ever turned any money back in. It was all spent plus a little more just to show them that they needed more for the next year.

Now, that is one school. Now imagine that all schools are like that in the USofA.

What happens? The cost's just keep going up year after year.

That is a lot of money they get just padding their cost's year after year.

Now throw in all of your government agency's and departments. City, State, and Federal and they are most likely doing the same thing year after year.

There is so much government waste that I don't think anyone can get a real handle on it.

Have you ever seen the government go without, even in hard times.

If they run out of money, they come to us and ask for more and if they don't get it, they just raise our taxes some more.

If we want more money, we ask for a raise........which we generally don't get. We have to go without.............The government should go without too!

I'm off my stump now.....Have at it!

Hauxfan!

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Haux,
    Although it may sound like a cliche, you are so absolutely right. I have a friend who is a state employee, and have heard stories you just can't believe (which I'm sure you have, too).

What I find most interesting is this: many of these state employees, who keep "puffing" their budgets each year, are passionately "anti-development" and "anti-business." For example, one big issue in my state of Indiana right now is the I-69 highway extension. Many reflexively oppose it, just out of a habitual sense of antagonism toward _any_ kind of development whatsoever. Now, I'm not going to get into the right vs. wrong of that highway issue...frankly, I don't care, and have no dog in the fight (even though the proposed path will pass within a half-mile of my house, I might add).

But what is most interesting to me, is that my friend hangs with a whole roster of fellow state employees who are passionately against this highway project, attend all the meetings, etc. For many of them who are unmarried and with little family, the "issue" is almost like a substitute life for them, a "cause" to believe in and spend their lonely hours plugging away at.

Sounds like a paradox, right? A project that increases the budget power of government, and yet they're against it? Well, let me add, that they're all upset that their _department_ budget goes down, or isn't increasing as fast as they like...so they have to suffer cuts in the rate of increase for raises, capital expenditures, and the like. So I ask them: did it ever occur to you, that the reason why your budget is getting hit, is because there isn't enough private-sector development of the tax base to pump money into the government. "Sure," they say. Ok, then why are you against the very sort of development that would spur business, and government budgets to go along with it?

Well...no answer. They just hate business and development in general. They depend on it, basically, for their livelihood...but yet they despise it and oppose it at every turn, passionately.

This is a group of people who have _no_ idea where there daily bread is coming from...they just want us to provide it for them, with no sense of what is required to generate it. They want us to generate the money for them out of thin air, but not make a dime in the private sector in the process. Now how is that realistic?

...Just offered in the sense of showing how "detached" from reality some of these people are.

Our current governor used to be CEO of Eli Lilly, and has brought more of a business orientation to state government. He's a bit arrogant, and his "corporate" inspired ideas are not always going to win popularity contests. But I hate to say it, I think it's exactly what state government needed. The state employees all hate him, of course...but you'd expect that.

Until government starts giving employees/managers monetary performance bonuses for using LESS money than required (ie, give them back a portion of whatever they save), it will never change.

In Indiana, people are getting crushed by property taxes. Old people, and even not-so-old people, are having to sell their houses (in a terrible housing market, often at a loss), just to get out from under huge property tax assessments where increases of 200% and 300% are not at all uncommon.

All this, to keep satisfying the "cash demand" of government people who think their budget should simply go up every year, aside from any consideration of what's required to sustain it.

You show me a state government employee, and I'll show you somebody who's just riding the Gravy Train. Even the ones who are engaged in the "compassion" end of government services...they say, "Human needs are increasing...the needs must be met!" Well, ok, but I ask - how? Privately-employed people are getting hit, too...they have to do with less. Why do government people get a special exemption from the laws of life and existence?

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Buzz-gun, I was in the specialty construction business. Some of my customers were Federal Housing Authorities. Public Housing. I sold windows. One Housing authority that I was dealing with bought approximately $350,000 in windows. It was the end of the fiscal year and they did not spend their allocated amount, so the director had me give him an alternate price for changing 72 of the openings to Bay windows an additional $75,000. This was to give the residents a feeling of self pride and dignity, something to feel good about where they lived. While we were installing the new bay windows we had just finishing one apartment and were moving to the next, not completely done with the first apartment and the the resident of the apartment that we were leaving was drilling holes in the ceiling of the Bay to hang flower pots. Now that is a waste of money. I know a lot of people that would like to have a Bay Window but can't afford one. But that is our tax dollars at work. The only good thing about the whole deal was that I worked on commission and got some of my tax dollars back. Mike

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Guys, it just blows one's mind to realize this is going on at all levels of government and they don't care because they have an unending pile of money to be had..................

By the by, Buzz, that ex I was talking about.........it was back in the 70's and nothing has changed that I'm aware of.

Once government gets a program going/funded, it never stops.

If government has extra money, they don't give it back to the tax payers, they create new programs to fund.

I've seen it time and time again.

Sickening...........to say the least.

Thanks for the comeback, everybody!

Hauxfan!

6. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

You think this is a waste,look what we are spending in Iraq.
    At least someone here is getting some good out of it.

Bo

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Live by the sword, die by the sword, Bocephas.

You see, it's all a vicious game. Republicans have constituents to pay back, too.

You didn't seriously think Democrats could entrench themselves with pork-barrel spending to un-skilled Union workers, thereby ensuring themselves lifetime voter loyalty from people like "you"...and the Republicans would just sit back and allow it to happen, without taking similar action towards their friends in the defense establishment...

...did you?

As I say - a vicious, vicious cycle that, once begun, nobody can seem to justify stopping.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Doesn't surprise me after 70+ years of liberalism.

9. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

It is all politics.Makes no differance who is in.

I think they call it Pork Barrel.

Our tax dollars go to the farmer-CRP.

The dairy people Free Cheese.

The tobacco and peanut farmers,and last but not least Welfare.

Yet, we give foreign countries billions of dollars in aid.

One million a day to Israel alone.

Yep, we are going to get a tax rebate,don't you love it.

Sure hope all the young folks at Walmart and Mcdonalds keep working and paying (TAX) to pay for all this.

Bo

10. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

I need to move to another state. I've worked for the Commonwealth of Virginia for 33 years and there's no unending supply of money in my agency. We don't just pinch pennies, we have to share a penny and take turns pinching it. ;)

Now, I'm not talking about the Governor and General Assembly, they probably have all the money they need. I used one desk chair for 23 years until the wheels broke off and my desk is even older. My office for the last 12 years hasn't had a H/AC outlet, I just got the return.

At least my clients appreciate the work I do and the jobs they get. Maybe I should have coninued in physics instead of going to grad school for a counseling degree.

John

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I do love those cheap tomatoes. And I am sure glad I do. I can buy lots of em with my new tax rebate. Life is good. Jake

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    John, my desk at work has been there longer than I have, and I've been there 28 years. My file cabinets date to th late 1930's. They come from a day when quality meant something. New office furniture has to be replaced every 3 to 5 years because it falls apart.

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Guys that is old news. The different departments of the University of Illinois have been doing this for years and will keep doing it. That is to pad the books at the end of the fiscal year so it has the appearance of spending all their allotment. I suspect every school district and state department of every state and commonwealth to do the same. If you guys were to dole out money to your own children and let them know that if they have any left over they will get less the next week, how much do you think they would spend? I don't think we will be able to change it do you? Lets look forward a few years. This will happen after we have left Iraq to the sand fleas. How much of a cut to military spending do you think we'll witness when we leave that sand pit? I'm saying that our money to military will stay the same no matter if we aren't paying off thousands per month to mercenaries to play guard duty games for our rich contractors. That's my honest opinion. We are a nation that holds out our hand. I guess we all expect to get a little of the government dole. Makes me tired thinking about it. Dan

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hmmm...viewed in this manner...I suppose an influx of illegals who "need services" would be considered a "boon," to the public job-holders?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.