1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap stock duplication

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic Bad Boy, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic Bad Boy

Ljutic Bad Boy TS Member

over the past few months I have been working on a custom stock. Its pieced together using various pieces of walnut and wood filler compound. I have the stock set just the way i want it, however I am currently using an adjustable butt plate to acheive the appropriate cast and drop at heel. I am looking for a stock maker that can duplicate my stock to the exactly demensions i have and at the same time eliminate the pad adjuster so i have one solid peice of wood. Im thinking of using either laminated birchwood or a nice piece of walnut. My budget is tight, so i am looking for a stock maker that can duplicate my results without too much money spent. Any information or advice anyone can supply will be greatly appreciated. Break'em All Fellas. LBB

2. high 2

high 2 Member

LLB, not a big deal to do what you want. You just have to bondo up the twist you have probably built into the the stock with the butt adj. Pick your wood and cut out the new stock. You can give me a call tomorrow and talk about it if you would like. Larry Garroutte Cor-Kel Arms

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey!

That is some serious eye candy on your site!

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Your cheapest bet would be to buy your own blank and make sure it is dry enough to work. Then just have someone duplicate it on your blank. Before you get it finished and checkered shoot it a while and make any adjustments before final finish is applied.

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I have used Wenigs and was very NOT happy with the results

from another site - I have not tried any of these guys but here are the ph#'s

Stock Carvers & Duplicators List

Name Address Phone

Murray's 541-298-1220

Don Cantwell 2503 Floral Ave, Chico, CA 95926 916-895-3615

Bill Harvey 1697 Liberty Grove Rd
    Colora, MD 21917 410-658-5074

Michael M Kokolus
    Custom Riflestocks Inc. 7005 Herber Rd
    New Tripoli, PA 18066 610-298-3013

Richards Micro-Fit Stocks Box 1066L, Sun Valley, CA 91352 818-767-6097

Dakota Arms-carving machines Box 326, Sturgis, SD 57785 605-347-4686

A R Hammond & Co 2 Whig St, Newark Valley, NY 13811 607-642-3348

A to Zitzmann Inc 310 E Morgan St, Newtown, IL 62448 618-783-4153

Mazy's (Dave) 396 W Rd 3
    North Chinn Valley, AZ 86323 520-636-1262

Great American Gunstock Co 3420 Industrial Dr
    Yuba City, CA 95993 800-784-GUNS

M. L. Greene Precision Products-Manufactures of Gunstock Duplicators & Combat Pistol Grips riflebuilders@earthlink.net 17200 W. 57th. Ave
    Golden, CO 80403 303-279-2383

Mike Stomm herbal_dynamixs@centuryinter.net 117 Old Hwy 57, Counce, TN 38326 615-707-8116

Karen Mourfield mourfield@centuryinter.net 117 Old Hwy 57, Counce, TN 38326 901-689-5475

George Peterson 3 Reynolds Rd, Priest River, ID 83856 208-448-1735

7. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

semperfi909, thank you very much. You were very helpful with that full list of names you gave me. Much appreciated.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I did some computer work for Dakota Arms several years ago, and had to take my fees in wood. They are 28 miles from me.

They duplicated a Perazzi stock, but didn't inlet the forearm, so I was unhappy.

However, they make absolutely beautiful stocks, I mean like up to $10,000 rifles and stocks.

Now that Remington Arms (TGI ??) owns them, I'd think you'd be in good hands.

WW

9. high 2

high 2 Member

Whiz, that`s where I bought my duplicator. Didn`t know they sold out. I guess things didn`t go well after Don died. They sure had a nice set up. Larry

10. semperfi909

here's a link to the thread - finally found it - lots more there

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189470#Post189470

Charlie

11. ouch

ouch Member

Semperfi909, I am planning on going this route and was going to use Wenig. Would you mind letting me know what went wrong? PM me if you want to.

LBB I would like to know how your project turns out>

High 2 is this your business?

Thank you all! Richard

12. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I would like to know what went sour at Wenigs?

My wife had a Wenig's stock made to fit her and she really likes it!!!

Arnie

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I had one duplicated at Wenigs and it took three tries before it was really close and then i had to have another stock man get it perfect for me. Not really thrilled with their work. And i spent the day there watching and letting them use my original staock and forearm. There are much better options from my experience.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Harry Lawson Company in Tucson, AZ did some good quality work work for me some years back when Harry was still alive. His son runs the business now and don't know what happens there now.

15. semperfi909

The Wenig work I had done was copying a Perazzi butt and forend. Used their wood - the red/white/blue lam for a bunker gun. To start with the stock that I sent had some wood removed to clear a release hook. The supposed copy did not. In fact the inletting for the action was nowhere like the one I sent and was supposed to be 99%. More like 75%. I was not happy. And the exterior was so rough, and I'm talking some DEEP chatter marks, that by the time I got it smooth it was way smaller than the one I sent. The forend was not much better and fitting the iron might as well have been in an uncut block. I mean the barrel channel was not even cut to size. I was not happy. The whole thing looked like it had been done by a new hire on Friday afternoon. The highly touted "cut to a .001" was lacking for me. Well, that's a lie. The interior cuts were way smooth, just nowhere near to size. It looked great, it just didn't fit for sh7t!

Their response was that they were not responsible for fit with any customer supplied stock as a dummy just like their site said.

The last unfinished stock I got before the Wenig was a TM1 from the now defunct Bishop guys in MO and it was supposed to be 90% and was more like 99%.

I will not be doing any more biz with Wenig. I also have since heard that my experience was not unique or even rare.

Charlie

16. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've had nothing but good results with any of my dealings with Wenig. 95% is 95%. Anytime that I've ordered over the phone the wood quality has always been better than ordered. So far, I've been completely satisfied.

Ed Yanchok

17. high 2

high 2 Member

Yes, it`s my business. I get a lot of requests to finish out semi-inletted stocks and fore arms. Most are so poorly done that it`s cheaper to start from scratch with new wood. As stated above, most are closer to 70% than 95%, and are cut out knowing that they aren`t going to be the person doing the final fitting. It`s easier taking 2 hours on a duplicator cutting a stock and fore arm out right than spending 8-10 hours taking 1/4" off all around by hand. I`ve just about quit taking any work in that I didn`t duplicate. You usually get what you pay for. You want it cheap, or do you want it right? There are still craftsmen out there! Shop wisely. The stock builders on this site know what I`m talking about. Larry

18. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I have had 2 dealings with wenig. I have had positive experiences both times. They always have delevered more than I expected. I know they sure have a lot of stocks in ks. & mo. Bobby has always taken the time to clear up any ? I've ever had. That's my 2 cents. Rich

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

LBB..... You can't go wrong doing business with Larry at Cor-Kel. I have a Perazzi MX-3 Special stock and forend there right now as I'm typing this that I'm having refinished. Now, understand that this set I sent him is a VERY high end set of wood. It needed to be refinished when I bought it and, acting on the recommendations from some very well respected posters here, I sent them to him. He has had it for about 2-3 weeks. He told me it would be done in 3 weeks and he quoted me a price on it. I just received a call from Larry that whoever did the finish work on the stock before used a different type of oil than is normally used for refinishing stocks. He told me he was having a difficult time getting it all out and that it would probably take a week longer than he originally told me it would in order to turn out right. He wants to remove as much oil from the wood as he can so the high gloss finish he is going to put on it will look just right. He offered to finish it as it is, but really wants to do the job right. On top of that, he said the quoted price will still be the price for the job. To me, that speaks volume's about the man and his ethics. I'm totally confident that I made the right choice..... Just my experience...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheap gun stock carver for sale

dakota arms gun stock duplicator

dakota arms stock duplicators for sale

dakota gunstock duplicator
dakota stock duplicator
gun stock duplicators for sale
larry garroutte stocks

m l greene stock duplicator