1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you have a Dunham sporting goods near you, they are advertising Federal 12 ga. target loads for $54.99 a flat. Bulge

2. Shootsandbagger

Shootsandbagger TS Member

The Federal target loads that you are talking about, would they be Gold Medals.I would like to buy some of them. STEVE

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Very hard to believe . Was in our local Dunham,s last week Rem Gun Clubs were 64.00 did,t have any Gold Medals but did have Win AA,s 95 bucks ??

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

Go to Wal Mart they are cheaper than that.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Let me know when factory shells get to $3.50 per box - then they'll be cheaper than my reloads and I "MIGHT" feign interest.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Can you believe that we now consider a "flat" of shells to be "cheap" at $54.00? The price of lead and fuel are where they were 5 years ago so these prices should begin to come down soon.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Supply chain is still loaded with higher priced goods. Whoever empties theirs first will have the edge on the next round of pricing.

If lead goes down today, you can't expect cheap shot tomorrow.

HM

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

HM And why the hell not ??????

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

ALF99-If lead drops again tomorrow, what would that have to do with the manufacturing cost of the shells on the shelf?

Pat Ireland

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Alf has it right.

Prices must come down as component prices come down. There is a delay, and it depends on two things.

One, when the less expensive lead (in this case) gets into the manufacturing process. Once one manufacturer starts dropping prices they all will.

Two, is cash flow. Even if the manufactures are sitting on a gazillion tons they will be forced to take a reduced margin if sales get below a certain point - ie cash flow starts to hurt. And in this economy, that could be sooner rather than later. They need to keep their plants running at some minimal capacity.

Reloading is a minor factor and only impacts sales of "target shells"; although some may regret their decision to sell their reloaders a few years back and "shoot cheap factory shells". Alf - I just loaded up another 1500 rounds on the Spolar you sold me. I still need to watch my costs (and I am dumb enough to enjoy reloading) so making my shells is good for my wallet, and keeps me out of the bars where younger women remain a temptation.

Don

11. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

My shooting friends have recently had conversations about the hardness of materials used in non Remington STS or Winchester AA shells ( read as ALL others ) primers causing problems with breech faces on over/under shotguns. Problems exhibited are cratered breech faces around the firing pin creating need to have repairwork performed. The problems are believed to be caused by the steel content of the Nobel, Cordite and other primers.

Anyone had any experience with this issue ?

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

You are right it has nothing to do with the manufacturing cost of the shells on the shelf. But if that store wants to sell some of that stuff on the shelf they better put a price on it that people can accept.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. HMB

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Pat SARCASTIC ?????

14. hoov

hoov Member

sandbagger;they are top gun {E}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.