1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap shells-Ljutics

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Sorry to bore some of you, but I need to revisit this issue. I have two Ljutics and neither one of them will reliably eject cheap shells, regardless of make or brand. Please don't try to tell me it is because I don't resize them right as brand new ones will also not eject! I have a good friend that bought a new Ljutic last year and he has no problem whatsoever shooting the cheap shells, either new or reloaded. The one common denominator is that I have deactivated ejectors on both my guns whereas he left his ejector alone. I would be curious about other L-gun owners? Can you shoot them and do you eject or just lift them? By the way, my own simple answer will be to re-activate the ejectors and see, but I was more than curious on others' finding! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. tcr1146

Thanks John. By the way, in response to Hoosier Daddy, if my chamber was too big, why would it not lift once fired that were shot new in a Seitz?! You would think if my chamber was too big, it would lift easily a once fired empty in another gun?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have 3 Ljutics. My LTX 2 barrel set will shoot and eject anything with either barrel. My Mono-Gun had 2 hangups with the latest batch of the Remington Game Loads 1oz @ 1290 but shoots everything else fine. My Bi-gun handles everything fine. All mine are still eject.
    --- Chip King ---

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

If your LJutic chamber was tighter the cheap shells would not expand as much . The problem is the steel head once it expands that much it does not go back like brass .

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Hoosier Daddy has it right, if the chamber is too big it lets the brass/steel swell and that is were the problem lies. I have upon request opened the chambers out on a few Ljutics, it does not help. You may want to install a new exjector spring? Hope this helps!!
    Don

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Guns with slightly larger chambers do not shoot discount shells well. My gun does have larger chambers and I have learned to compensate by shooting only shells with brass heads. With another coupon, I will buy some more new AA hulls at Dick's today for $49.98 a flat (plus tax). That is as cheap as I can now fine new shells with brass heads.

Pat Ireland

7. energy

energy TS Member

Had the same problem. Got a good barrel cleaner and a brass barrel brush. Let the cleaner sit in the barrel shell chamber for 10 minutes then scrubbed. No more problem. It would eject anything I put in it. Still couldn't hit anything with it though. <;-)

Bob

8. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Hoosier Daddy has it correct. My DB-81 would not eject any of the steel rimmed hulls. I sent it to Briley for rechambering and it works just fine. I remember the cost as being around $225 plus shipping.

Vince McNamara

9. Gil

Gil Member

I have a mono SS that has the ejector disabled. I shoot Federal Wally World cheap shells and have had two shells stick in the chamber out of 15,000 rounds.I clean the barrel every thousand rounds or so, but do nothing else. I do carry a weight to drop down the barrel if needed. George Miller

10. tcr1146

Ok boys, this has been a lot of fun so far. I reactivated the ejector and it still will not lift or eject 3 samples that I have (Fed Top Guns) that were fired in a Seitz. I ran the same 3 empties through the Seitz and they all ejected. I then measured the chambers of both and the largest reading I could get on the Lgun was .805 whereas the Seitz was .810! I refuse to believe the chamber is too large at least on this gun! Tom Rhoads

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I carry a brass rod in my pocket and since I went to shooting AA's I haven't had a problem. I bought a bronze chamber brush from Shootin' Accessories years ago and I give the chamber a real good scrubbing on a regular basis with some Accubore and it gets the job done. In western Canada we don't havec access to alot of cheap ammo so most shoot AA's, Super Targets and some Challengers...

12. gridlock

gridlock Member

TCR1146,I think I know the problem with your L-Guns.First,let me ask,have these guns ever missed a target and been thrown to the ground? Do they have grass stains because of not using a throw-down blanket?Have the chambers been check for sand and gravel residue.Has the Seitz ever met the same fate as the L-Guns.Just a few things to check. Regards from" The Rest of The Squad"

13. tcr1146

How you doing old boy?! How was Christmas!? Yes, this gun did "slip" out of my hands and so did the older Lgun! The Seitz has not slipped yet! Maybe you are onto something! Your Friend, Tom Rhoads and say hello to all!

14. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I dont get it. I have a gun that costs $10,000 new. I only use good shells in it, like AA's, or STS. Why would one want to use such cheap shells, especially after all the work some posters here spent figuring out those cheap shells are junk? They have inconsistent bases, inconsistent powder amounts, and inconsistent shot loads. Why bother use them when we all know they also throw an inconsistent pattern? This has been more or less proven by a couple posters here. Steve

15. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

Tom, I think gridlock is onto the problem. I don't remember you having problems with your lunatic until you started tossing it on the ground. We provided you grass stain remover. Gave you info on where to obtain a throw down blanket and last but not least had the grass replaced to the left of post one. That seemed to be the station that your gun became airborne more than once.

It took a while but I remembered that most of the places that you shot and tossed also treated their lawn area with a granular fertilizer. I'll bet you have scarred the inside of your bore from the fertilizer being crushed from the expanding casing of the shell.

My suggestion would be to have the bore polished and only shoot at clubs that do not treat their grass or use liquid fertilizer.

Just a thought.

Roger

16. tcr1146

Smart Ass! How have you been shooting and are you going to Monroe on New Year's?! Tom Rhoads

17. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

Tom, I may be going over to Monroe, just depends if the folks coming over will be a late afternoon crowd or not. If you haven't heard I am staying the entire week with Ray for the state shoot.

I am bringing down a bunch of hand rolleds if you have fallen off the no-nicotine wagon.

Probably won't see you until the state shoot.

Roger

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Zoltan Having shot with Tom for way to long I,m really surprised the dam thing still shoots . When can we send him back to the land of the buck-eye .

At Rochester Gun Club last year he did get 32 feet 2 inches as best toss of the year .

19. trapat

trapat TS Member

tcr1146: I see that Ray and Roger refuse to let up. I'm not going to go there but thought you might be interested in the fact that I have never had a problem with my Ljutic ( ejector operational ) or with my Kolar T S ejecting any kind of shell, cheap or premium. Is there a possibility that the problem is with the ejector? Rather than spending a bunch of time and money on other stuff would it be more cost effective to start with replacing the ejector?

Does this mean that you'll be shooting the Ljutic this year?

I hope you and Linda had a merry Christmas. Have a safe and happy New Year.

I'm looking forward to shooting together at Cardinal this summer.

Pat

20. tcr1146

Hi Pat! Yep, they are hard men! I suppose it could be the ejector, but it will eject stss as far as my Seitz will! Furthermore, it seems too big of a coincidence that neither my old Lgun (1993) vintage or this much newer one have the same problem! As stated above, the chamber on the newer Lgun is .005" smaller ID than the Seitz. Tomorrow, I will measure the older one and see where it falls! Merry Christmas Pat and will see you soon! Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.