1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap shell comparison

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Is there any "real" difference between these shells. Estates, Gun Clubs, Super Targets, Rio & Nobel Sport.

I'm no longer reloading and will be ordering approx 40 flats in the fall. I shoot 1 oz loads @ 1180-1200FPS,

Thanx.

Phil Berkowitz

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Estates/Federal and Gun Clubs seem to be the most consistant of the cheapies ... I have 100 flats of the Estates in my garage and 35 flats of Nitro 27's ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

Bill, are you going to be at Ben Avery anytime soon? I have those Blue AA's and would bring them up to trade for a box of those Nitro 27's

Mark Williams

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I'll second WPT the Federal Top Guns /Estates and Remington Gun Clubs are probably the most consistent. Since you are not going to reload I would go with the Federal ammo.

--- Chip King ---

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I read an article by someone who patterned compared some of those. Federal Top Guns patterned as tightly as premium AA, STS, Gold Medals. Gun Clubs patterned more open. I've heard different reports as to whether Top Guns and Estates have the same quality of shot.

I had a few flats of 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 ounce Estates that produced numerous malfunctions in several automatics. I have some other flats of the same Estate loading that I purchased about a year later. Undecided if I'll try them in the autos to see how they do, or just save them for the O/Us.

6. PETER PERFECT

PETER PERFECT TS Member

I HAVE SHOT ALOT OF REO AND LIKE THEM AS GOOD AS ANY SHELL! I HAVE BROKEN 100, S IN SINLES AND ONE IN CAPS AT 25 YARDS. A GOOD SHELL FOR THE MONEY.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Phil, Give Kemen a try. They use lead with 6% antimony. For me, and many I have talked to, they hit targets as hard as AA or STS. I use the Super HC from the 27 and can not tell the difference from shooting AA's. Same with the lite 8's from the 16. I much prefer Kemen to any of the low cost offerings from the major mfg's. Kemens are not easy to find. I usually buy a few flats when at the Silver Dollar. Priced about the same as the WalMart offerings.

I'll be away from shooting for a few weeks. See you about early Oct. Marc

8. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

All I shoot is Estate and Rio, whichever is cheaper. I can't tell a difference between the two in a O/U. In a semi-auto they can have some cycling issues, I saw about 1 in 50 not cycle properly.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Absent any economic incentive on any of the others, I'd buy the current 1 oz Rio loads. They are superb performers and a couple of bucks a flat cheaper than Gun Clubs (which are the only other shell you listed that I would buy).

If I were buying 40 flats of 1 oz, here is what I would do. I'd buy 5 flats of STS 1oz #8 (or 8 1/2 if you gun like them) IMO the best 1oz trap load on the planet. They will cost you $69 a flat. Send in the rebate and that brings your cost down to $49. Save the hulls and sell them as never-hit-the-ground once fired for 3, 4, or 5 cents each depending on where you live. At 4 cents each that knocks another $10 off. So you get to shoot superb shells at $39 a flat.

Then buy 45 flats of Rios. They should run you about $51 a flat.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I think I can shoot good Singles and Doubles with any of the cheapies I have tried: Estates, Gun Clubs or Super Targets. I have this fuzzy notion that Super Targets work better for Handicap than the others because of harder shot. My best Handicap scores were shot with my reloads or premium factory loads.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My personal favorite is STS 1 oz 81/2. I 've already exhausted all this years rebates. The local club I belong to, enables its members to get ammo & components with significant savings. The cheap shells I'm considering are for doubles & practice only.

Phil Berkowitz

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I was impressse at how hard Reos broke targets. I hated Wolf and wouldn't shoot them if they were free.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"RIO's" not "REO's"

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Phil, The Skeet Shooting Review had a print up of antimony in the economy line of shells a few years back now and had the Estates as the only economy load with 5-6 percent antimony in their lead. The Top Guns, Gun Clubs, Super-targets all had 3 percent antimony in them. The Rio's are listed as 3 percent while the Premium sister company Keman is advertised as 5-6 percent antimony as well. I believe these numbers to be true, as I have shot many flats of both and see more consistant and better breaks with the Kemans. So if I were looking for the best economy load I'd go with Estates, or the Keman's!!! Of course the price of one over the other would make my choice for me (or buy America). Good Luck with your order and break-em all. Jeff

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I go with the RIO's, but not the ones that are 1200fps or under as problems with the 1100.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The favorite bargain ammo where I am at is the Estate line. Just about everyone is using them and good scores are being shot with them. The premium ammo like STS and Gold Medal is no doubt better but the Estates grind up the singles and doubles targets just fine for me.

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have shot the Estates, Gun Clubs, Top Guns and Super Targets in my over and under guns and my BPS pump. I have had no problems with misfires from any of the brands, and, of course there are no cycling problems with these kinds of guns. Last Spring some members of my gun club and I ordered a pallette of Estate shells from a wholesaler for $46.50 per flat plus $90 shipping for the entire pallette.(Up to 120 flats.) These do not have to be shipped to an FFL, but must go to a business of club with a tax nummber. Jack

18. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

One of the guys at our club bought a lot of Federal Top Gun (the ones in the blue box)and shot them in a new CG Summit Trap Combo. He's had the gun to the MD repair facility for it's annual and it's in great condition with no problems whatsoever. In any case, the failure rate with those shells in his gun is unusually high....several in a flat, sometimes two or more in a box, apparently, due to low or sunken primers. In many instances he's handed one of the mis-fires to me and I couldn't get it to fire in my gun either. From what I've seen, the Remington cheapies seem to work better, and the Rio blue ones do strange stuff in cold weather. If I was shooting new factory shells they'd be STS's.

best...mike

19. BBowen

BBowen Member

i have over 90 flats of estates on hand for function testing guns. i do not use them for pattern testing. out of curiosity, every time i open a new box i do a pellet count on one shell. i have NEVER found an estate shell that had even close to the correct number of pellets. most of them are at least 10% short and i have seen them up to 100 pellets short. also if you open a 7 1/2, 8, or 9 size shot shell, they all have the same poor quality shot which varies from number 6 to number 12 with many joined together. i have done this on other lots of estates and found it to be the case with those as well.

i have not found this to be the case with other economy shells. if you use estates, i would recommend you do a pellet count and see for yourself.

bruce bowen

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have shot most everything on the mkt. my pick is G.C.s 2&3\4 DR.-- #8s for short to med. yardage--& STSs or G.M.s for longer yardages & for games. I do reload & prefer Rems. either STS or G.C.s, they seem more consistent & less temperature sensitive (variation).

I don't have any way to test shot antimony (hardness) so this is just my personal impression. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.