1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap gun for Trap/Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Duster, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Duster

The Duster TS Member

I am looking for a new gun that I can use for Trap and Sporting Clays. I was looking at the Stoeger over/under, and the Mossberg Silver Reserve. Has anyone else got any ideas for an inexpensive gun that I could use for both. Thank you for your input.

-Cameron Aker

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Don't buy either of the guns you mentioned, poor quality, lousey triggers, no pride of ownership.

Wait until you can afford to buy a Beretta 391 sporting with Optima chokes with a 30 inch barrel, approx. $ 1,000.00. With this gun you can adjust the stock up or down with ease for sporting or trap. You can also buy a shell catcher that clips onto the receiver for trap shooting so you can save your hulls.

I would recommend a 50/50 to 60/40 point of impact for sporting and a 60/40 to 70/30 point of impact for trap. If you are a newby shoot the 50/50 in sporting and 60/40 for trap. You will go to the 70/30 for trap as your ability progresses.

Tom Strunk

3. gunnertom

gunnertom TS Member

I'm a newby an shoot a mossberg silver an like it just fine.I'm no pro but I have alot of fun shooting in the 20s of 25 all day long. maybe some day I'll move up to the big leagues, but for know its all fun. Tom

4. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I would say go with an 870. A plain jane flat shooting one will be as cheap or cheaper than the Brazilian/Russian/Turkish imports you mentioned and is a much more reliable gun. If you get the trap model, you'll get beautiful wood and a very good recoil pad. My 870 Classic Trap was glass smooth right out of the box.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

take a look at the lanber 2087 with 30" barrels.....check out cdnn.

the lanber is a wonderful all-discipline gun.

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

Stay away from the Stoegers and the Mossbergs; a few people at our club have bought them to their sorrow. A used 1100 or 870 is a far better choice and will outlast those you mentioned by many, many, years.

If you insist on buying an inexpensive new over/under I can recommend only the Lanber; it will be ok for Sporting Clays but marginal for trap.
    John

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I shoot some pretty expensive guns at trap.(like a lot of folks on here) But guess what. My 14 year old boy shoots a Spartan spr 100 trap gun with a 29" barrel that cost a whopping $245.00, brand spanking new with a life time free replacement warranty. And yes it does have self pride in ownership for him. The sad thing is. He out shoots me with my expensive guns 9 out of 10 times. I am also sure he would out shoot 90% of these high rollers with these fancy guns on here. So now that you got me fired up about self pride in owning a high dollar gun. It isn't the gun. Its who is behind it. Purchase what you can afford and see if you like the sport. Then work your way up unless you want to look real cool at the range.

8. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Look for a cheap shotgun at the same place you shop for cheap Mercedes cars.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have both the 870 and 1100 classics for sale here...also will be selling a Weatherby O/U in a hard case.

10. The Duster

The Duster TS Member

I just visited the Lanber website, those look very nice. Does anyone know how much one of those would run?

Thanks,
    Cameron Aker

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

lots of good 870 TA's, B's and C's out there and find a nice Browning Superposed for doubles and Sporting clays.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'd find myself a good Beretta 391 Parallel. Very nice all around gun and won't break the bank.

ec90t

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Duster,

go on over to shotgunworld.com and visit the "i love my lanber" forum. some excellent information there from fellow lanber owners.

you can pick up a lanber 2087 for $499 from cdnn. not a piece of crap gun - these are the best value in o/u out there. go and look at the pictures and the owner feedback.

i have a 2097 (same as 2087 but 1/2 lb heavier)....i shoot it for trap, skeet and SC. you will not be sorry you spent a little time investigating the lanber.

14. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

Remington 1100 or Beretta 391

15. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

The cheapest gun will be a K80. After you buy and sell 25 other guns moving up in quality each time, you will have spent enough money to buy two K80s.

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Why do you want a "cheap" gun? What you should look for is a good quality gun that you could purchase at a reasonable price. Stay away from those off brands. If you ever want to trade or sell them you will be hard pressed to find someone who is interested. You stated that you want to shoot both trap and sporting clays. Go with something like a Beretta or a Remington semi-auto or an 870 TB. (With choke tubes) These guns purchased used will not "break the bank" and you will get back most if not all of your investment if you want to trade or sell. You will be much happier than if you purchase one of those off brand guns. Just my $.02 worth. Ed

17. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

If you don`t have the coin for a better gun right now, wait and save for what has been suggested; Bridgetoofar is more right than you might think. You won`t be able to give those guns away, Condor, etc. And you will struggle and waste money on trigger jobs and down time waiting for parts and service. Why pay money to wait? Wait and save.
    Good luck and happy shooting. Remember you asked for our advice!! Follow it!

18. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

Wait and save? What's the man supposed to do? Sit on his hands in the mean time?

As many people have suggested, an 1100 or an 870 would be ideal. Try a pawn shop. I got my first shotgun (1100) at a pawn shop for $250. After saving up a few bucks, I got a trap barrel and an adjustable combe on it. Used it for 3 years before I bought a new XT.

Stay away from a mossberg, stroger and those third-world guns. You'll be much happier with a Remington.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pride of ownership is an insulting statement.

If you scrimp and save and do everything you can to support your family and put food on the table and all you can afford is a $500 shotgun you will have and you will take pride in that shotgun because you have worked for it and worked hard for it while still taking care of your family.

Some people are not made of money ... some folks do not have the best jobs in the world ... bold sweeping statements as pride in ownership only shows the snobs we have in the shooting sports.

Mr Duster ... there is nothing wrong with the Mossberg or a Stoeger. They are both fine weapons. In that price ranger there is also the Spartan line but be sure it would be from one of the latest production runs for they are better than some of the first runs, call Remington with the serial number and they can tell you.

Out of your choices I'll be honest and say that I recently had stiff competition on the skeet field against a guy shooting a Stoeger and also had my but whooped on bunker trap by someone else shooting a Stoeger. They aint the prettiest guns but and they may not have the smoothest or lightest triggers but they do what they are supposed to do.

Good luck and I'd be proud to shoot with you any day no matter what gun you have because pride of ownership means nothing to me except for what I have worked for and saved for myself.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1100........screw choke 28"..........adj comb....that should do it.

No one gun is correctly fitted for all disciplines, so you need to compensate somehow.

Flat shooter for sporties and skeet, High POI for trap, etc.

A Jack West stock and 2- 3 barrels would cover everything.

It's still cheaper than 3 guns.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best affordable sporting clays gun

budget sporting clays guns

budget trap guns

cheap sporting clays gun

cheap trap gun

cheap trap gun for sporting clays

inexpensive shotgun for shooting clays