1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap food for meetings?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm on the food committee for the next 3 months (Jan, Feb, March) at one of the local clubs I belong. It is food for the meeting night.

Any ideas on what I can serve, that is good and cheap (just the way shooters want it)? LOL

I'm limited by the clubhouse, it only has a 4 burner stove and oven just like in your home.

We usually have anywhere from a low of 25 to a high of maybe 45. Average crowd usually around 35 I would say.

We charge $3 per person.

I'll probably go deli lunch meat and chips for 2 of the months but would like to make something decent for the 3rd month, I'm on duty.

Thought about brats, but the grill is outside and at this time of year it could be below zero.

Anyway if you have any ideas for cheap food that shooters like, let me know.

2. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I do not know where you are from but if you know some one that can make a good goose or chicken and sausage gumbo. We have had that at my club when we shoot annie on Sunday. Make a large pot before hand and just heat it up with rice and french bread.

3. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

One word! SPAM!!!!

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Chili, Baked Lasagna, Roasted pork loin, Meatloaf, Baked brats, Deep fried fish and potato wedges, Deep fried or baked chicken thighs and legs, Saurcrout and pork, mac & cheese with ham, baked ham, baked loaded potatoes, sloppy joes, Taco's, Beef stew.

You can kick out a lot of burgers and dogs on a large electric Goerge forman grill or two, keep them warm in the oven or stove top in a big foil roasting pan.

Some fairly enexpensive electric roasters are nice, a few big crock pots are nice for sides and main dishes. Many members own deep fry turkey units able to handle large amounts.( we chunk up a lot of wild game, batter in all kinds of mix from beer to cajun or drakes mix.

You can pre buy some of these dishes, pre made from resteraunt supply chains like Gordon foods, ready to go in the oven. Also large cans of sides like baked beans,peas, carrots, corn, green beans, bag salads and rolls,ect... also commercail packages of paper and plastic settings.

A lot of work for one guy.

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try "Taco Soup". Seriously, you can feed 25 to 30 people for a buck and they love it! I make it once in a while for groups at trap shoots and it goes like crazy.

Here is the recipe for 24 people...

Ingredients:
    8 pounds ground beef
    4 (1.25 ounce) packages taco seasoning
    mix
    6 cups water
    4 (15 ounce) cans mild chili beans
    4 (15.25 ounce) cans whole kernel corn,
    drained
    4 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed

and drained
    4 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
    4 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with
    green chile peppers
    4 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
    4 (1 ounce) packages ranch salad
    dressing mix

(I personally like to substitute all diced tomatoes instead of the stewed...I think its easier and better...your choice.)

Directions:

You have this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (24). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (6).
    1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally

I serve this up with taco chips, sour creme on top and some grated cheddar or Mexican cheese. Cornbread is a favorite in our house with this great cold weather dish.

If you want the recipe for 4-6 people here it is:

ngredients:
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
    mix
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 (15 ounce) can mild chili beans
    1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn,
    drained
    1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and

drained
    1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
    1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with
    green chile peppers
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
    1 (1 ounce) package ranch salad
    dressing mix

Same cooking instructions as above ... just use a smaller pot!

Enjoy,

Bob

6. josh b

josh b TS Member

go to subway and get a couple of the 6 foot subs

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Some grocery stores might supply you with a meat platter that usually consists of sliced Turkey, Roast beef, Ham and several different types of cheese. Just add mayo, mustard, butter and rolls or bread and you have an easy lunch. Larry Evans

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Bribe the kids who take out the meat that has turned brown from the meat section. That is meat that is just fine, but goes to rendering and to cosmetic makers on the cheap. It is a wasteful shame. I'm kidding on this, but sometimes I have thought "if only I had the inside track and a huge freezer..."

Big supermarkets are super wasteful.

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Chili goes good this time of year

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

agreed! meaty chili, meaty brunswick stew, meaty spaghetti. and lots of bread, crackers and bread sticks. you get the idea. good luck with it

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Institute the new Obama food guidelines, let them eat cake:) Don't forget, no toys with meals.

12. BudLight

BudLight Member

Bisi, I make this chili and everyone really likes it. The website will calculate the ingredients for you!! Ron

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of the lowest cost and best liked snacks/lunch/dinners we have tried is a taco bar. The trick to making it pay out is putting the meat in the tortillas ahead of time (people tend to overload them if left to their own desires) and letting the guest fill in the rest with what ever sides you have. A few pounds of ground meat goes a long way, usually you can feed 4 on one pound of meat. Outside of that cost, you need to have the usual assortment of shreaded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes etc. Appeals to most everyone and you should be able to do it for under $3 per head.

14. RAScott

RAScott Member

American Chop suey is always a hit, and a couple loaves of scali bread to go and butter and done.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We have tried lots of things. The hamburger or deer & elk chili always go good. We have had very good luck with spaghetti & meatballs also. We always have wild game meat sausage at every shoot for munchies ( free) we very seldom charge for food.

16. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

MRE's lol

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Stouffers makes some large sized lasagna you can cook up in the oven. A few of them along with some chili or Hot Dogs will take care of a crowd.

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

pulled pork with BBQ sauce is my personal favorite at a club. You can do the pork at home the day before and warm it in the oven at the club.

19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Cheap food = spaghetti.

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Bob,

I got the recipe for Taco Soup from Wade and Ann over at Hogg Heaven back in 2002 and we serve it at our Feb shoot @ Cherokee every year. At least 20 people ask for the recipe every year. That's a great crowd pleaser in cool weather. Thanks for putting the recipe up here for everybody to use.

Hey leadhead,

MRE's??? (meals rejected by everyone) LOL

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
affordable food for meetings
cheap annual meeting meals
cheap food for meetings
cheap foods for meetings

cheap snacks for meetings

cheapest food to bring to a meeting