1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Federals Sticking in Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I think you answered your own question.

Morgan

2. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

With the barrel on the gun, put your finger in the chamber and feel for any rough spot's or uneven edges where the chamber ring is. When the shell is fired the base will expand, if the ring is a little smaller, or if there is an edge in there than the shells are hard to pull out because of the smaller chamber ring. The chamber and the chamber ring should be even. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike

3. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Looking at the picture the left side of the chamber ring looks to be offset a little bit to the left, meaning that the right side may also be a little to the left, which is where you will probably feel the edge that I'm talking about. If so it's a pretty easy fix.

Thanks, Mike

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

from the pic. you may have a slight chamber ring from shorter brass & the federals have a bit longer head & its steel not brass & steel tends to hold its shape when stretched more so than brass maybe a (very light) chamber polish would help???? have seen that help a couple of others. others here will undoubtedly have better suggestions. ross

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Check the Head space and make sure there isn't to much play in it ... I had a Model 12 do the same thing and it was because the head space was to much and it eventually cracked the head space ring, so I had to have a new head space ring and sleeve put in the gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Model 12 gunsmithing is a specialty of mine. The chamber ring may be offset, but some offsets are caused by badly manufactured adjusting sleeves that are not concentric. Doubtful that this case is from that issue.

Chamber polish is something that I would never normally recommend, especially if it were to accidentally enlarge the chamber even more when compared to the fit and size of the chamber ring interior. Headspace is a slight consideration, but I discount that as an issue here, also. I have never seen headspace excess be a condition that can do anything to make a chamber ring split.

That may have been a problem in your gun (WPT) and you may have had a crack in the chamber ring, but that is likely a coincidence, not a cause. Plenty of these guns have extra headspace, but never cracked a chamber ring.

Chamber rings are more likely to swell gradually from firing forces, and that may create a stress riser in the corner of a retainer hole or extractor groove, (more likely) but a slightly oversized chamber is the most likely cause for this problem, and will require a chamber sleeving job to alleviate any extraction problems. This does not normally require the replacement of the chamber ring, since the chamber will be a bit smaller (all around) than the probable size of the chamber ring.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=10-9.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=10-6.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=swellend-1a.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The swelled caseheads pictured first are zoomed from the second picture, in case the situation is more easily identified there. The third picture shows a rear swell of the case towards the bolt face end of the case.

Check these vs. the shells that you have fired to see if any similarity exists. Also check to see if the plastic has the look of being pulled away from the front edge of the metal, since that would show the metal is expanded and the plastic withdrew from the metal after firing.

If you have a precision micrometer (or similar) measure an unfired shell metal diameter (find the largest spot each shell) and compare to a fired hull. E-mail me your measurements of before and after for me to assist in a determination.

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

7. dospa

dospa TS Member

The correct solution as stated above is to have the chamber sleeved to the correct size.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Larger, but within factory specifications, chambers will cause shells with steel heads to stick. The solution is to sleeve the chamber or shoot shells with brass heads. It is still possible to reload good hulls a little cheaper than the cost of new discount shells.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.